I dropped my boat off at the dealer yesterday to be winterized. I was checking out a new R3 and notice he equipped it with trim tabs. I thought trim tabs weren’t needed until you got to a R5 or bigger. What do you guys think?
Until I did some research last night I always thought trim tabs severed the purpose of helping larger boats plane and stay on plane and leveling the ride when more weight is on one side. I guess they can help in others ways too.
Any R3 or similar size boat owners with trim tabs? Do you think they are worth it? (I’m getting a quote) I don’t really have any complaints about the R3 ride and handling, but I have shifted weight once when I was leaning a bit.
(BTW for anyone interested in a 2021 Black and White R3 Stokley’s Marine has one in stock)
Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?
Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?
So you are right on all the obvious reasons to have tabs but another reason is to improve ride quality during choppy conditions. You can drop the tabs down a little to bring the bow down while maintaining the same drive angle and speed.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?
I'm not bothered about uneven weigh distribution while cruising to the extent that I would option trim tabs on my R3 and I don't enjoy rough water boating so I wouldn't get them for that reason either. However, if trim tabs can be used to aid in planing at a lower speed or flattening the boat at a slower cruise speed I'd add them for that purpose.
I've noticed that the R3c tends to ride "bow up" when loaded with a full tank of gas and has a bit more difficulty getting on plane at slower speeds with a full tank. I've solved the problem by not filling the tank past 1/2 full unless I'm going on a longer trip (which I never do).
In any event, its not an option that has to be installed at the factory, so if you find a boat that has everything that you want but is missing tabs, easy to add them afterwards.
I've noticed that the R3c tends to ride "bow up" when loaded with a full tank of gas and has a bit more difficulty getting on plane at slower speeds with a full tank. I've solved the problem by not filling the tank past 1/2 full unless I'm going on a longer trip (which I never do).
In any event, its not an option that has to be installed at the factory, so if you find a boat that has everything that you want but is missing tabs, easy to add them afterwards.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?
BobRae99 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:19 am I'm not bothered about uneven weigh distribution while cruising to the extent that I would option trim tabs on my R3 and I don't enjoy rough water boating so I wouldn't get them for that reason either. However, if trim tabs can be used to aid in planing at a lower speed or flattening the boat at a slower cruise speed I'd add them for that purpose.
I've noticed that the R3c tends to ride "bow up" when loaded with a full tank of gas and has a bit more difficulty getting on plane at slower speeds with a full tank. I've solved the problem by not filling the tank past 1/2 full unless I'm going on a longer trip (which I never do).
In any event, its not an option that has to be installed at the factory, so if you find a boat that has everything that you want but is missing tabs, easy to add them afterwards.
Tabs all the way down I can get my R7 to plane at about 12mph. Really nice for night cruises as my lake has a 25mph speed limit from dusk to dawn.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?
.
Our 263 hull planes so flatly that our use of trim tabs is primarily for uneven loads. The added benefit of a nicer ride in chop can help but we only use them for that purpose occasionally. We added ours after purchasing this 263 knowing how well they worked on our 262 and with how many folks we carry on our boat (sometimes 12-15!). It's not a comfortable feeling riding around listing to one side or the other....plus it's a little embarrassing
IMHO. In fact we would not have a deep vee hull without them....and it would be mandatory IMHO with a side entry transom where the load is naturally port side heavy with all that seating opposite the helm and small starboard seat.
.
Our 263 hull planes so flatly that our use of trim tabs is primarily for uneven loads. The added benefit of a nicer ride in chop can help but we only use them for that purpose occasionally. We added ours after purchasing this 263 knowing how well they worked on our 262 and with how many folks we carry on our boat (sometimes 12-15!). It's not a comfortable feeling riding around listing to one side or the other....plus it's a little embarrassing
.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?
I would get a 430 before tabs just sayingBobRae99 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:19 am I'm not bothered about uneven weigh distribution while cruising to the extent that I would option trim tabs on my R3 and I don't enjoy rough water boating so I wouldn't get them for that reason either. However, if trim tabs can be used to aid in planing at a lower speed or flattening the boat at a slower cruise speed I'd add them for that purpose.
I've noticed that the R3c tends to ride "bow up" when loaded with a full tank of gas and has a bit more difficulty getting on plane at slower speeds with a full tank. I've solved the problem by not filling the tank past 1/2 full unless I'm going on a longer trip (which I never do).
In any event, its not an option that has to be installed at the factory, so if you find a boat that has everything that you want but is missing tabs, easy to add them afterwards.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?
Any chance you took a pic of the tabs on the R3? Interested in the location.
-
sailor55330
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 1268
- Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
- Contact:
Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?
I don’t have them on my R3, but I kind wish I did. I’ve had a few nervous boaters that were uncomfortable with any lean
Sorry BBP, I’d go tabs before the 430. 12mph plane while loaded has way more uses than an extra 1.5mph. I know that kills you. But deep down you know it’s true
Sorry BBP, I’d go tabs before the 430. 12mph plane while loaded has way more uses than an extra 1.5mph. I know that kills you. But deep down you know it’s true
Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?
I had trim tabs added one year after acquiring my R5. Not so much for the bow to stern trim. The boat is very well balanced in that respect and the boat runs optimally at 0 degrees trim. It was primarily to help offset the port/starboard imbalance. Once you have 3 or more people on board they tend to sit on the port side and the trim tabs help greatly to compensate for the lean to port.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
- bruceb58
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 1258
- Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:10 pm
- Location: Lake Tahoe
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?
Have an R5 and no need how I boat. I have had trim tabs on two other boats so I definitely realize their potential benefits.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 25 guests


