Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?

(R3-R8, R30, R35)
Post Reply
Kyboater
Commander
Commander
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:55 pm
Location: Kentucky
Contact:

Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?

Post by Kyboater »

I dropped my boat off at the dealer yesterday to be winterized. I was checking out a new R3 and notice he equipped it with trim tabs. I thought trim tabs weren’t needed until you got to a R5 or bigger. What do you guys think?

Until I did some research last night I always thought trim tabs severed the purpose of helping larger boats plane and stay on plane and leveling the ride when more weight is on one side. I guess they can help in others ways too.

Any R3 or similar size boat owners with trim tabs? Do you think they are worth it? (I’m getting a quote) I don’t really have any complaints about the R3 ride and handling, but I have shifted weight once when I was leaning a bit.

(BTW for anyone interested in a 2021 Black and White R3 Stokley’s Marine has one in stock)
2018 R5 350hp Merc
Lake Cumberland KY
User avatar
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 am
Location: Branson, MO
Contact:

Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?

Post by tgrace98 »

So you are right on all the obvious reasons to have tabs but another reason is to improve ride quality during choppy conditions. You can drop the tabs down a little to bring the bow down while maintaining the same drive angle and speed.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?

Post by BobRae99 »

I'm not bothered about uneven weigh distribution while cruising to the extent that I would option trim tabs on my R3 and I don't enjoy rough water boating so I wouldn't get them for that reason either. However, if trim tabs can be used to aid in planing at a lower speed or flattening the boat at a slower cruise speed I'd add them for that purpose.

I've noticed that the R3c tends to ride "bow up" when loaded with a full tank of gas and has a bit more difficulty getting on plane at slower speeds with a full tank. I've solved the problem by not filling the tank past 1/2 full unless I'm going on a longer trip (which I never do).

In any event, its not an option that has to be installed at the factory, so if you find a boat that has everything that you want but is missing tabs, easy to add them afterwards.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
User avatar
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 am
Location: Branson, MO
Contact:

Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?

Post by tgrace98 »

BobRae99 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:19 am I'm not bothered about uneven weigh distribution while cruising to the extent that I would option trim tabs on my R3 and I don't enjoy rough water boating so I wouldn't get them for that reason either. However, if trim tabs can be used to aid in planing at a lower speed or flattening the boat at a slower cruise speed I'd add them for that purpose.

I've noticed that the R3c tends to ride "bow up" when loaded with a full tank of gas and has a bit more difficulty getting on plane at slower speeds with a full tank. I've solved the problem by not filling the tank past 1/2 full unless I'm going on a longer trip (which I never do).

In any event, its not an option that has to be installed at the factory, so if you find a boat that has everything that you want but is missing tabs, easy to add them afterwards.

Tabs all the way down I can get my R7 to plane at about 12mph. Really nice for night cruises as my lake has a 25mph speed limit from dusk to dawn.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?

Post by AsLan7 »

.
Our 263 hull planes so flatly that our use of trim tabs is primarily for uneven loads. The added benefit of a nicer ride in chop can help but we only use them for that purpose occasionally. We added ours after purchasing this 263 knowing how well they worked on our 262 and with how many folks we carry on our boat (sometimes 12-15!). It's not a comfortable feeling riding around listing to one side or the other....plus it's a little embarrassing :oops: IMHO. In fact we would not have a deep vee hull without them....and it would be mandatory IMHO with a side entry transom where the load is naturally port side heavy with all that seating opposite the helm and small starboard seat.

.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?

Post by Big Block Power »

BobRae99 wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:19 am I'm not bothered about uneven weigh distribution while cruising to the extent that I would option trim tabs on my R3 and I don't enjoy rough water boating so I wouldn't get them for that reason either. However, if trim tabs can be used to aid in planing at a lower speed or flattening the boat at a slower cruise speed I'd add them for that purpose.

I've noticed that the R3c tends to ride "bow up" when loaded with a full tank of gas and has a bit more difficulty getting on plane at slower speeds with a full tank. I've solved the problem by not filling the tank past 1/2 full unless I'm going on a longer trip (which I never do).

In any event, its not an option that has to be installed at the factory, so if you find a boat that has everything that you want but is missing tabs, easy to add them afterwards.
I would get a 430 before tabs just saying 😉😂😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
rontn64
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 9
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:12 pm
Location: Cookeville TN
Contact:

Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?

Post by rontn64 »

Any chance you took a pic of the tabs on the R3? Interested in the location.
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?

Post by sailor55330 »

I don’t have them on my R3, but I kind wish I did. I’ve had a few nervous boaters that were uncomfortable with any lean

Sorry BBP, I’d go tabs before the 430. 12mph plane while loaded has way more uses than an extra 1.5mph. I know that kills you. But deep down you know it’s true
User avatar
stifflkd
Captain
Captain
Posts: 368
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:29 pm
Location: Brick, NJ
Contact:

Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?

Post by stifflkd »

I had trim tabs added one year after acquiring my R5. Not so much for the bow to stern trim. The boat is very well balanced in that respect and the boat runs optimally at 0 degrees trim. It was primarily to help offset the port/starboard imbalance. Once you have 3 or more people on board they tend to sit on the port side and the trim tabs help greatly to compensate for the lean to port.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
User avatar
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1258
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:10 pm
Location: Lake Tahoe
Has thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Anyone with trim tabs on a R3?

Post by bruceb58 »

Have an R5 and no need how I boat. I have had trim tabs on two other boats so I definitely realize their potential benefits.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 28 guests