Fuel Costs

mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: SF Bay Area
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by mdadgar »

tgrace98 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:39 pm The marina I gas up on at TRL is 3.69/gal for 91 no ethanol. I guess that isn't to terrible. Although I did run through about 120 gallons over the past 10 days :D
Every time I gas up at Holiday Island, I am reminded that marina gas in Arkansas is cheaper than street gas in California. :lol:

- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by sailor55330 »

MnLakeBum wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 am
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 am
ajcampen wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 am

What does the Volvo manual suggest? My guess is 87 is fully acceptable. If higher was required wouldn’t you have engine knocking?
They are designed to run on 87. Really I don't gain anything going to 91 on mine but a lighter pocket book.
Here in Minnesota everything except 91 octane has ethanol in it so all the marinas have only 91 octane.
Not quite true Bum....check out the station by BIR....you can get 110 :) (on the water, yes, 91)
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
Location: Minnesota
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by MnLakeBum »

sailor55330 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:23 am
MnLakeBum wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 am

Here in Minnesota everything except 91 octane has ethanol in it so all the marinas have only 91 octane.
Not quite true Bum....check out the station by BIR....you can get 110 :) (on the water, yes, 91)
Lol, yes, I've seen that. BIR is only 4 miles east our home as a crow flies and we can sometimes hear the cars racing and we can also enjoy their fireworks shows(they'll have a big one next month during NHRA Nationals) from our lakeside deck! :D
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
User avatar
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 674
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:50 pm
Location: San Clemente, CA
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by kas232ca »

mdadgar wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:50 pm
tgrace98 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:39 pm The marina I gas up on at TRL is 3.69/gal for 91 no ethanol. I guess that isn't to terrible. Although I did run through about 120 gallons over the past 10 days :D
Every time I gas up at Holiday Island, I am reminded that marina gas in Arkansas is cheaper than street gas in California. :lol:

- Mark
Yep, $3.89 yesterday at gas station for 89 Octane in CA. Arizona is about a dollar less.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
Location: Minnesota
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by MnLakeBum »

kas232ca wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:48 pm
mdadgar wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:50 pm
tgrace98 wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:39 pm The marina I gas up on at TRL is 3.69/gal for 91 no ethanol. I guess that isn't to terrible. Although I did run through about 120 gallons over the past 10 days :D
Every time I gas up at Holiday Island, I am reminded that marina gas in Arkansas is cheaper than street gas in California. :lol:

- Mark
Yep, $3.89 yesterday at gas station for 89 Octane in CA. Arizona is about a dollar less.
My buddy gassed up on the water in Lake Tahoe over the 4th of July and paid $6.40 per gallon. Expensive when you have twin Merc 6.2's running a lake that is 190 square miles, lol!! It's $4.75 on the water here in Minnesota but only about $3.04 for premium fuel off the water.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
User avatar
Jeeper
Captain
Captain
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:44 pm
Location: South Jordan ut
Has thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Jeeper »

The on water marinas aren’t paying road taxes on the fuel. About 50 cents a gallon between state and federal depending on the state. That’s pretty good amount of extra profits.
2019 R5 Surf 380 VP.
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by sailor55330 »

MnLakeBum wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:01 am
sailor55330 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:23 am
MnLakeBum wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 am

Here in Minnesota everything except 91 octane has ethanol in it so all the marinas have only 91 octane.
Not quite true Bum....check out the station by BIR....you can get 110 :) (on the water, yes, 91)
Lol, yes, I've seen that. BIR is only 4 miles east our home as a crow flies and we can sometimes hear the cars racing and we can also enjoy their fireworks shows(they'll have a big one next month during NHRA Nationals) from our lakeside deck! :D
Best gas around regardless of Octane. Friend of mine owns it and he’s relentless about quality. Worth the drive and usually very competitively priced

On another note I was on the chain over the 4th. Thought hard about trying to find your compound but since I couldn’t get on plane due to passenger comfort, it seemed like a long way from Nisswa. One of these days I’m gonna make the trek from the north end!
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: SF Bay Area
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by mdadgar »

MnLakeBum wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:47 pm My buddy gassed up on the water in Lake Tahoe over the 4th of July and paid $6.40 per gallon.
Still cheaper than 100 octane race track gas at $9.00/gallon. :D

- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
Location: Minnesota
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by MnLakeBum »

sailor55330 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:05 pm
MnLakeBum wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:01 am
sailor55330 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:23 am

Not quite true Bum....check out the station by BIR....you can get 110 :) (on the water, yes, 91)
Lol, yes, I've seen that. BIR is only 4 miles east our home as a crow flies and we can sometimes hear the cars racing and we can also enjoy their fireworks shows(they'll have a big one next month during NHRA Nationals) from our lakeside deck! :D
Best gas around regardless of Octane. Friend of mine owns it and he’s relentless about quality. Worth the drive and usually very competitively priced

On another note I was on the chain over the 4th. Thought hard about trying to find your compound but since I couldn’t get on plane due to passenger comfort, it seemed like a long way from Nisswa. One of these days I’m gonna make the trek from the north end!
Stop by anytime. We were there all week but yes it's a haul from the north end of Gull - 13 miles south of Grand View Lodge by Nisswa. It's easy to spot from the lake just .5 miles north of Madden's Resort.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
2ridgebacks
Captain
Captain
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 8:06 pm
Location: Southern Indiana
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by 2ridgebacks »

Jeeper wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 pm The on water marinas aren’t paying road taxes on the fuel. About 50 cents a gallon between state and federal depending on the state. That’s pretty good amount of extra profits.
We just had a conversation about that very thing a couple of weeks ago. Definitely pads the profit margin. I wonder if the land based stations avoid road tax by labeling it as “red gas”. It’s not labeled off road only, so I’m guessing the taxes are paid.
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
Location: Minnesota
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by MnLakeBum »

2ridgebacks wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:52 pm
Jeeper wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 pm The on water marinas aren’t paying road taxes on the fuel. About 50 cents a gallon between state and federal depending on the state. That’s pretty good amount of extra profits.
We just had a conversation about that very thing a couple of weeks ago. Definitely pads the profit margin. I wonder if the land based stations avoid road tax by labeling it as “red gas”. It’s not labeled off road only, so I’m guessing the taxes are paid.
California just jacked their gas tax up again to 47.3 cents per gallon. Tack that onto the 18.4 cents federal tax. Gas in King's Beach, CA near our old condo is currently $4.19 for 87 octane and $4.79 for 91, lol!
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by AsLan7 »

MnLakeBum wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:13 pm
2ridgebacks wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:52 pm
Jeeper wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 pm The on water marinas aren’t paying road taxes on the fuel. About 50 cents a gallon between state and federal depending on the state. That’s pretty good amount of extra profits.
We just had a conversation about that very thing a couple of weeks ago. Definitely pads the profit margin. I wonder if the land based stations avoid road tax by labeling it as “red gas”. It’s not labeled off road only, so I’m guessing the taxes are paid.
California just jacked their gas tax up again to 47.3 cents per gallon. Tack that onto the 18.4 cents federal tax. Gas in King's Beach, CA near our old condo is currently $4.19 for 87 octane and $4.79 for 91, lol!
.
Although CA gas prices are higher than ours, PA has the highest state tax add on in the country....60 cents per gallon. :x

To put things in perspective though, at least our prices beat Amsterdam or Oslo at over $6/gallon. :shock:

.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by sailor55330 »

MnLakeBum wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:00 pm
sailor55330 wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:05 pm
MnLakeBum wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:01 am

Lol, yes, I've seen that. BIR is only 4 miles east our home as a crow flies and we can sometimes hear the cars racing and we can also enjoy their fireworks shows(they'll have a big one next month during NHRA Nationals) from our lakeside deck! :D
Best gas around regardless of Octane. Friend of mine owns it and he’s relentless about quality. Worth the drive and usually very competitively priced

On another note I was on the chain over the 4th. Thought hard about trying to find your compound but since I couldn’t get on plane due to passenger comfort, it seemed like a long way from Nisswa. One of these days I’m gonna make the trek from the north end!
Stop by anytime. We were there all week but yes it's a haul from the north end of Gull - 13 miles south of Grand View Lodge by Nisswa. It's easy to spot from the lake just .5 miles north of Madden's Resort.
It wouldn't be bad, but had to keep the speed down due to the wife's surgery recovery (they told her no, but what could a little idling hurt, right) I'm printing this and putting it in the boat for the day I do show up!
User avatar
Jeeper
Captain
Captain
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:44 pm
Location: South Jordan ut
Has thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Jeeper »

2ridgebacks wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:52 pm
Jeeper wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:47 pm The on water marinas aren’t paying road taxes on the fuel. About 50 cents a gallon between state and federal depending on the state. That’s pretty good amount of extra profits.
We just had a conversation about that very thing a couple of weeks ago. Definitely pads the profit margin. I wonder if the land based stations avoid road tax by labeling it as “red gas”. It’s not labeled off road only, so I’m guessing the taxes are paid.
The businesses that use off road fuel gas and diesel file for tax rebates from the state and federal governments. A lot of construction company’s use all clear fuel and keep track of what is used on highway and off highway and get a tax rebate on off road fuel, gasoline is the same. I work in the wholesale fuel industry so I know how fuel reporting and taxes work.
2019 R5 Surf 380 VP.
2ridgebacks
Captain
Captain
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun May 21, 2017 8:06 pm
Location: Southern Indiana
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by 2ridgebacks »

I was agreeing with you (“red” gas was typed as “rec” gas and autocorrected). With your background, maybe you can shed some light on the other part of what was said. I have a station by me that sells off road diesel and rec gas. They claim that there are no road taxes paid on the off road diesel and that is the price difference to regular diesel. They also claim that certain workers will call in your tag if you fill your truck. Would gasoline have to be labeled for off road use or sold through a marina or some other outlet not normally associated with autos to avoid the road tax?
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests