Fuel Costs

User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by AsLan7 »

mdadgar wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:30 pm
whitelightning wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:58 pm Boating an expensive hobby? Honesty, I feel it's pretty economical.
Seriously.

Try auto racing some time.

- Mark
Or worse, Equestrian.....even if the fuel is edible. It all depends upon your perspective I guess .

And then there is Space X. 8-)

.

.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain
Posts: 491
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am
Location: KY
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Alaskabound »

When someone talks about the fuel expense of boating, my thoughts go to 2011 & pulling a 5th wheel 12,000 miles to Alaska & back at about 6-7 mpg & gas about $4.50/ gallon. My Visa card just about melted! Boating is a bargain. A7’s right. It’s all perspective.

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
User avatar
Atl Cobalt
Commander
Commander
Posts: 59
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:30 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Atl Cobalt »

Where else can I take my family and a few of their friends for the day and spend $100 on entertainment? Boating is one of the best values for my dollar.
2004 226 350MAG MPI
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
Location: Minnesota
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by MnLakeBum »

Atl Cobalt wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:50 pm Where else can I take my family and a few of their friends for the day and spend $100 on entertainment? Boating is one of the best values for my dollar.


Agree 100%. I’m feeling damn fortunate that I’ve burned about 1,000 gallons of fuel on the water since the end of June. In 4 years I hope to have an engine set up something similar to this beauty that we saw while boating in Naples Florida last November! It would only be a 75 minute cruise down to Key West with those 1400 ponies humming at 5,500 rpms!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
User avatar
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:28 am
Location: near Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Tuscany »

Boats like that are a dime a dozen down there.
One behind every house on Port Royal.
There is a Regulator dealer around the corner from our house down there, and the have a four banger right by the road that makes it painfully hard when I pass it.

When it comes to fuel costs, boating is no place to worry about that!🙃🤑
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
LOTOHEAD
Commander
Commander
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:22 pm
Location: Illinois
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by LOTOHEAD »

tgrace98 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:36 am
MnLakeBum wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 am
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 am

They are designed to run on 87. Really I don't gain anything going to 91 on mine but a lighter pocket book.
Here in Minnesota everything except 91 octane has ethanol in it so all the marinas have only 91 octane.
Same here in MO. If you want corn free gas you have to get 91. So you only see 91 octane on the water. And most marinas if they see you lugging a gas can down to the dock will politely tell you if they see the gas cans again you will be finding a new place to keep your boat.
Not everywhere in Mo is like that. At LOTO there is no ethanol on the lake and I get 87 octane all the time. I fill up at Formula for $2.99 a gallon for 87 Oct ethanol free, or I go to Kelly's Port and get it the same price but a 10% discount with cash. You can get premium at most places but 87 octane with no ethanol is all over the lake. From reading this thread I'm pretty lucky on price too!!! :o
2004 282 8.1 Volvo
“The Lake Effect”
User avatar
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2023
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Driller »

90 Octane E-Free V-Tec. $4.23 / gal.

Don’t know if I should be happy or sad.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by AsLan7 »

Driller wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:58 pm 90 Octane E-Free V-Tec. $4.23 / gal.

Don’t know if I should be happy or sad.
.
My thoughts exactly Driller. Paid the same price for the same product here in Erie yesterday. :|
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
User avatar
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Bfun220 »

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:42 pm
Driller wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:58 pm 90 Octane E-Free V-Tec. $4.23 / gal.

Don’t know if I should be happy or sad.
.
My thoughts exactly Driller. Paid the same price for the same product here in Erie yesterday. :|
Last fill up was $3.34 for premium. Guess I can't complain.
2018 r5
2003 220
User avatar
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2023
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Driller »

Bfun220 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:28 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:42 pm
Driller wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:58 pm 90 Octane E-Free V-Tec. $4.23 / gal.

Don’t know if I should be happy or sad.
.
My thoughts exactly Driller. Paid the same price for the same product here in Erie yesterday. :|
Last fill up was $3.34 for premium. Guess I can't complain.
Mine was on the lake, so maybe ok.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
User avatar
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Bfun220 »

Driller wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:01 pm
Bfun220 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:28 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:42 pm

.
My thoughts exactly Driller. Paid the same price for the same product here in Erie yesterday. :|
Last fill up was $3.34 for premium. Guess I can't complain.
Mine was on the lake, so maybe ok.
I can get 87 e free for $3.14 about 2 weeks ago. Not sure what it's at now. Not sure where I can get 90 or the cost.
Doesn't sound too far off though.
2018 r5
2003 220
User avatar
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2981
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
Location: Antioch, IL
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by akorcovelos »

I go to Wisconsin for fuel to avoid the crazy Illinois tax, I’m paying 4.30 gal for premium.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Big Block Power »

Bfun220 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:17 pm
Driller wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:01 pm
Bfun220 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:28 pm

Last fill up was $3.34 for premium. Guess I can't complain.
Mine was on the lake, so maybe ok.
I can get 87 e free for $3.14 about 2 weeks ago. Not sure what it's at now. Not sure where I can get 90 or the cost.
Doesn't sound too far off though.
July 4th I pd 2.89 for 87 no E. 3.19 91 no E. Greenville gas station.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
Jeeper
Captain
Captain
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:44 pm
Location: South Jordan ut
Has thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Jeeper »

Last month I paid $5.90 a gallon for E10 87 octane at Dangling Rope Marina at Lake Powell. The next closest fuel stop is 50 miles away on the water. There are no roads within 50 miles either so they have to bring the fuel in on a barge. I chose to top the tank off rather than chance padding back.
2019 R5 Surf 380 VP.
User avatar
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 am
Location: Branson, MO
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by tgrace98 »

LOTOHEAD wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:23 am
tgrace98 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:36 am
MnLakeBum wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 am

Here in Minnesota everything except 91 octane has ethanol in it so all the marinas have only 91 octane.
Same here in MO. If you want corn free gas you have to get 91. So you only see 91 octane on the water. And most marinas if they see you lugging a gas can down to the dock will politely tell you if they see the gas cans again you will be finding a new place to keep your boat.
Not everywhere in Mo is like that. At LOTO there is no ethanol on the lake and I get 87 octane all the time. I fill up at Formula for $2.99 a gallon for 87 Oct ethanol free, or I go to Kelly's Port and get it the same price but a 10% discount with cash. You can get premium at most places but 87 octane with no ethanol is all over the lake. From reading this thread I'm pretty lucky on price too!!! :o

The marina I gas up on at TRL is 3.69/gal for 91 no ethanol. I guess that isn't to terrible. Although I did run through about 120 gallons over the past 10 days :D
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests