Fuel Costs

User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Big Block Power »

ajcampen wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 am
no_rulz25 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:25 am Here in FL I'm getting Ethanol Free at $3.19, unfortunately it's only 87 octane but I'll take it.
What does the Volvo manual suggest? My guess is 87 is fully acceptable. If higher was required wouldn’t you have engine knocking?
They are designed to run on 87. Really I don't gain anything going to 91 on mine but a lighter pocket book.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Oh
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by ajcampen »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 am
ajcampen wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 am
no_rulz25 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:25 am Here in FL I'm getting Ethanol Free at $3.19, unfortunately it's only 87 octane but I'll take it.
What does the Volvo manual suggest? My guess is 87 is fully acceptable. If higher was required wouldn’t you have engine knocking?
They are designed to run on 87. Really I don't gain anything going to 91 on mine but a lighter pocket book.
College fund down the drain? Wish marinas with two pumps offered options
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
Location: Minnesota
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by MnLakeBum »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 am
ajcampen wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 am
no_rulz25 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:25 am Here in FL I'm getting Ethanol Free at $3.19, unfortunately it's only 87 octane but I'll take it.
What does the Volvo manual suggest? My guess is 87 is fully acceptable. If higher was required wouldn’t you have engine knocking?
They are designed to run on 87. Really I don't gain anything going to 91 on mine but a lighter pocket book.
Here in Minnesota everything except 91 octane has ethanol in it so all the marinas have only 91 octane.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
User avatar
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3478
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 11:28 am
Location: near Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Tuscany »

The new 6.2 VP claims it will run just fine on 87 octane fuel. But it also runs 11.5 to 1 compression, which does not react well with lower octane fuel. So I am guessing the software contains a knock indicator which probably dials back timing when knock is sensed.

Personally, I only run 91 non ethanol. Luckily, we live close to a Native American reservation which sells gas tax free. Usually 60-80 cents below market.
Non ethanol is available there.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
User avatar
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 am
Location: Branson, MO
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by tgrace98 »

MnLakeBum wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 am
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 am
ajcampen wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:31 am

What does the Volvo manual suggest? My guess is 87 is fully acceptable. If higher was required wouldn’t you have engine knocking?
They are designed to run on 87. Really I don't gain anything going to 91 on mine but a lighter pocket book.
Here in Minnesota everything except 91 octane has ethanol in it so all the marinas have only 91 octane.
Same here in MO. If you want corn free gas you have to get 91. So you only see 91 octane on the water. And most marinas if they see you lugging a gas can down to the dock will politely tell you if they see the gas cans again you will be finding a new place to keep your boat.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
User avatar
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 5377
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Ytmsn »

tgrace98 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:36 am
MnLakeBum wrote: Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:40 am
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:36 am

They are designed to run on 87. Really I don't gain anything going to 91 on mine but a lighter pocket book.
Here in Minnesota everything except 91 octane has ethanol in it so all the Marina's have only 91 octane.
Same here in MO. If you want corn free gas you have to get 91. So you only see 91 octane on the water. And most marina's if they see you lugging a gas can down to the dock will politely tell you if they see the gas cans again you will be finding a new place to keep your boat.
Preach on tgrace. It's not because they are being a butt and preventing you from saving a little money on gas. Its because they are being good stewards and saving you from the multiple lawsuits and probable bankruptcy that would be land on you it you catch the marina on fire!

It seems like everytime you hear about multiple boats burning is from some nimrod filling his boat up to save a few bucks.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by cmattj »

Tuscany wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:33 am So I am guessing the software contains a knock indicator which probably dials back timing when knock is sensed.

No guess pal your right. Unlike our cars that adjust on demand, these will limit timing during that ignition cycle .

I’ve dropped to 87 to reduce transom soot and it’s improved dramatically. Butttttt. My fear is one engine decides to ping.. I’m down power suddenly on one.

So far so good.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by AsLan7 »

cmattj wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:47 am
Tuscany wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:33 am So I am guessing the software contains a knock indicator which probably dials back timing when knock is sensed.

No guess pal your right. Unlike our cars that adjust on demand, these will limit timing during that ignition cycle .

I’ve dropped to 87 to reduce transom soot and it’s improved dramatically. Butttttt. My fear is one engine decides to ping.. I’m down power suddenly on one.

So far so good.
That's interesting Matt. I've always run 93 octane even though the manual says a minimum of 87 is fine. Have not noticed any soot. I wonder if I would notice any power difference switching to regular. Thoughts?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
whitelightning
Commander
Commander
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:47 pm
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by whitelightning »

Boating an expensive hobby? Honesty, I feel it's pretty economical.
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by cmattj »

Combustion on the fine edge of pinging or knocking (detonation) is where the most btu expansion takes place inside the combustion chamber . Weeeew
So yes the engine that doesn’t ping on 87 will make more combustion efficiency (power in expansion)with a faster burning fuel than a slower or higher octane 91 ( which is a suppression of knock or slower expanding to prevent detonation or knock)


You want it on the verge of pinging to make the most power. (btu thermal expansion).
Geeeze that’s a great boat name.

You won’t probably notice it in our arena of boating. I’m trying less octane (fast burning) due to boat ECUs are set rich and especially at low speed.

So has the soot improved?? Slightly, but I need to run more idle speed docking etc to see.

My worry and it hasn’t happened in two tanks of 87 is one engine does a safe mode timing adjustment as it’s saw a ping and the knock sensor rolls a lesser software map in timing. I’d have one engine reduced power for that key on cycle.

It’s actually not a price issue as fuel is ridiculous in California anyway, and more so on the water.

Just keeping my baby’s bottom cleaner😎
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by AsLan7 »

Roger that. Good stuff. When folks come up and ask how much it costs to fill ‘er up my answer is always the same...”if you can’t afford the gas you can’t afford the boat.” ;)

My thoughts on the higher octane fuel is that it’s cleaner than the hardly refined 87. In fact, many times if you have a car throwing an SES light due to dirty CAT sensors , you can get it to go out by using the cleaner higher octane fuel.

Though our Merc doesn’t have CATs, the thought process is similar in regards to fuel injectors and cleaner burns.

If I do go 87, I try to fill up at the stations rated for having cleaner gas...Costco, Exxon, BP, Sunoco, etc. and of course ethanol free if able.

Bottom line ....I guess I was surprised by the fact that you had more soot with cleaner gas. Again, we haven’t noticed any soot on our transom running premium . & we do like that Captain’s call open. :D




.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
User avatar
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 5377
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Ytmsn »

Very interesting Matt. I always appreciate your knowledge and insight. I'm always learning from you! I assumed a big block just naturally had to have a higher octane and slower burn due to more mass and compression volume.

And I need to get up into the transom and clean it more. Having a black transom, I've gotten lazy in getting in under there to wipe it all down. I may try a tank of 87 this coming weekend and see how it does. After a thorough cleaning before going in the water.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by cmattj »

Additives are a whole different discussion on fuels.

All grades have minimum requirements regardless if you go to Chevron or a gas station that you can’t pronounce the name😂

But the additional items that Chevrons and shell etc add are an improvement in cleaning agents for your interior intake and fuel systems. Not necessarily for your exhaust.

Remember ethanol was introduced as a form of oxygenation to reduce green house gas. It’s actually a slower burning addition to our natural fuels in itself. But what it emits is cleaner out the pipe. That was tree hugging talk!

To be safe the words required or recommended fuels when it comes to autos, boats etc ,are very vague.
My Mercedes ( sorry GM gods) has to run 91 as it’s limited in ability to retard timing Saftey for a high compression engine. It will ping it’s self quietly and cause damage. Not the knock rattle we hear.

So I like and prefer top tier fuel companies, as the engineering and chemistry they add is worth it. But in general ,I’m ok with 87 octane from “ Bubbas fuel shack & snacks “

Haha.. I’m going to go burn some today. :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Big Block Power »

Ive been able to get 87 and 89 ethanol free gas here and I don't notice and performance loss. I was running 91 more last year and before because it was on my way to the lake. Myself I would try it. I have never noticed soot on the last 5 boats ive owned. It helps not having CC. But I noticed the knock count on this scan so per Matt it's running at its edge of performance. Lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 566
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:22 pm
Location: SF Bay Area
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by mdadgar »

whitelightning wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:58 pm Boating an expensive hobby? Honesty, I feel it's pretty economical.
Seriously.

Try auto racing some time.

- Mark
Mark Dadgar
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Semrush [Bot] and 30 guests