Fuel Costs

MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 835
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
Location: Minnesota
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Fuel Costs

Post by MnLakeBum »

I know boating is the most expensive hobby next to owning your own aircraft but I do get mildly annoyed at paying $4.80 per gallon all summer for fuel. Last week I spent $780 fueling up the boats and jet skis. That seems like a lot but it’s only about 21 gallons per day over 8 days. I know there will be weeks ahead where I will be going through a lot more than 20 gallons per day with 2 boats and 2 SeaDoos running.

Now the good news. My next door neighbor has a 300 gallon fuel tank and pump and a small fuel dock on the property line that separates our properties. He’s not boating that much anymore - only about 100 hours per year, so he has offered the use of the tank to me. I called the guy who fills the tank and he charges $3.22 per gallon for premium and was out the next morning to fill it. The tank has a gauge on it and he told me it’s normally less than 24 hours for him to refill the tank. I figured I will go through 1500+ gallons in the next few months so that amounts to more than $2,200 in fuel savings! That will buy a lot of beer!
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Big Block Power »

Very cool. My brother way up north had that same set up. Till a tree landed on top of it. It had a crank pump and he filled a 25 gal gas caddy web would roll to the dock. You can pick up the caddy at a farm and fleet? I used to run the caddy to the gas station and bring it back to the lake. But it was heavy getting it out of the suv.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by cmattj »

That would be slick. Especially since your neighbors has to house the tank and its not on your property. :D I pass one marina around the corner just to save 60 cents a gallon on 91.(3.69 vs 4.29) So with the times I fill Its a savings! But keeping your boats in back are worth the higher price in the long run.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
User avatar
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 am
Location: Branson, MO
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by tgrace98 »

Wow that’s awesome! Wish I had a setup like that. I pay 3.55/gallon for ethanol free 91 octane on Table Rock Lake. Seems to be the going rate as I’ve seen that at 3 places now. And it hasn’t changed all season.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
User avatar
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 5377
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Ytmsn »

We're on a Core lake so they have pretty stringent rules. At our Marina they absolutely won't allow you to gas a boat from anything other than the pump. No caddys or gas cans.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
User avatar
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Oh
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by ajcampen »

Get a flag or poster on your dock made with this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain
Posts: 491
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am
Location: KY
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Alaskabound »

Wow, prices are different. I filled my boat up Monday at a station right down from my storage facility and ethanol free was $3.05/gallon. This was for 87 octane so that helped some.

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
trs23
Commander
Commander
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:31 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by trs23 »

$4.96/gallon out here in Seattle on Lake Washington. If you want to play you gotta pay.
iboatmon
Commander
Commander
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:37 pm
Location: Lake Tahoe, CA
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by iboatmon »

Count your blessings everyone. I just paid $6.20 for premium at Lake Tahoe, CA. I was down to a quarter of a tank, filled her up and the charge was $434. At that price I figure a dollar a minute when cruising at 30 mph. But, don't get me wrong. It is well worth it and life is too short to worry about money well spent!
2013 Cobalt 273 8.2 Merc HO Big Block
"Kristine Marie"
Lake Tahoe, CA
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Big Block Power »

This is funny. In 2008 I sold my Donzi because gas was hitting $4/gal.lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by thunder550 »

Tesla needs to get into the boating business.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
willyswagon
Captain
Captain
Posts: 208
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:25 am
Location: Prince Edward Island (PE)
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by willyswagon »

As of this mornings price drop, we're at $1.28 Can/Litre or $3.75 US/gal. Worth every penny when you're out with friends burning through it, not so much when the crowds gone home and your left standing alone to clean and fuel it.
2014 26 SD
6.0L 380 Volvo
"STRAIT SHOTS"
Silverbullet555
Commander
Commander
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 8:03 am
Location: ID
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by Silverbullet555 »

That is one advantage of trailering. Ethanol free premium for 3.60ish. Filled up once and will have to fill again if I keep burning fuel at this rate. We've been driving a lot lately.
James
2002 226 with VP 8.1Gi DP
User avatar
no_rulz25
Captain
Captain
Posts: 226
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:48 am
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by no_rulz25 »

Here in FL I'm getting Ethanol Free at $3.19, unfortunately it's only 87 octane but I'll take it.
2013 24SD
Volvo Penta 300
"Nautical Nonsense"
User avatar
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Oh
Contact:

Re: Fuel Costs

Post by ajcampen »

no_rulz25 wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:25 am Here in FL I'm getting Ethanol Free at $3.19, unfortunately it's only 87 octane but I'll take it.
What does the Volvo manual suggest? My guess is 87 is fully acceptable. If higher was required wouldn’t you have engine knocking?
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 60 guests