Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Homeskillet
Captain
Captain
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Homeskillet »

Nauti - you have any pix or of your rig? Would love to see it!!
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by NautiGirl »

Homeskillet wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:27 am Nauti - you have any pix or of your rig? Would love to see it!!
Don't have a ton - and the boat is about 2 hours away in storage at the lake. We will be down there once it warms up to finish everything up. Will take pics then.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Homeskillet »

Tonight I got all 6 speakers connected to their leads, and finished mounting them. They look really sharp. Also ran the 2 sets of 4 gauge battery cables for the amps. Connections to the head unit and amp will happen in a few days.
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Big Block Power »

Homeskillet wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:24 pm Tonight I got all 6 speakers connected to their leads, and finished mounting them. They look really sharp. Also ran the 2 sets of 4 gauge battery cables for the amps. Connections to the head unit and amp will happen in a few days.
Sounds great. Or it will. Lol
Keep r going. Must be nice to have that much ambition. I need my wife to go away for awhile so I can cut a big hole in the port side of the dash. Yecks!! I'm so dead this year.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Homeskillet »

Well for me, it's a no brainer when my wife turns on The Voice or the Grammys lol - it seriously motivates me to play in the garage!
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by NautiGirl »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:47 pm
Homeskillet wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:24 pm Tonight I got all 6 speakers connected to their leads, and finished mounting them. They look really sharp. Also ran the 2 sets of 4 gauge battery cables for the amps. Connections to the head unit and amp will happen in a few days.
Sounds great. Or it will. Lol
Keep r going. Must be nice to have that much ambition. I need my wife to go away for awhile so I can cut a big hole in the port side of the dash. Yecks!! I'm so dead this year.
Don't lie you haven't worked up the courage to cut that hole yet. I don't blame you I would hire someone.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Homeskillet »

What's the hole in the side of the port side dash for ?
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by NautiGirl »

Homeskillet wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:48 am What's the hole in the side of the port side dash for ?
A wet sounds 10in Sub.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Big Block Power »

If I screw up I'll just go to a 12 inch sub. Lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by NautiGirl »

Big Block Power wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:31 pm If I screw up I'll just go to a 12 inch sub. Lol
You ever think about having a piece of MDF or Starboard cut to the correct size then using that as a guide to cut the hole in the boat? Most likely overkill, but may make it a ton easier.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Big Block Power »

NautiGirl wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:48 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:31 pm If I screw up I'll just go to a 12 inch sub. Lol
You ever think about having a piece of MDF or Starboard cut to the correct size then using that as a guide to cut the hole in the boat? Most likely overkill, but may make it a ton easier.
Na. I'm not worried. Draw a circle and cut. Just waiting for this state to warm up
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Homeskillet »

I wonder what the biggest size hole saw you could get!


Do I need to use expensive RCA's? I have a bunch of the cheaper red and black ones. Most of what I read says NOT to believe the hype with expensive brands like Monster.
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Big Block Power »

Can we hear the diff? But as the saying goes you get what you pay for.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2440
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by jhnmdahl »

I wouldn’t pay for the Monster brand ever, maybe something like this instead: https://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Ster ... 00F0WNWZI/

Or get this for 1/10 the price:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5346
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by NautiGirl »

Homeskillet wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:47 pm I wonder what the biggest size hole saw you could get!


Do I need to use expensive RCA's? I have a bunch of the cheaper red and black ones. Most of what I read says NOT to believe the hype with expensive brands like Monster.
Monster is junk. If you don't care about them being marine rated buy from MonoPrice.com good quality and cheap prices.

If you do care about them being marine rated JL Makes some at pretty reasonable prices. You can find them cheap on Amazon or CreativeAudio

http://www.jlaudio.com/marine-audio-con ... erconnects

I have zero idea what makes them marine rated or not.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 35 guests