jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:19 am
I've got a 210 as well and love it - a great size for towing around but not feeling out of place on a bigger lake. I got the old V8 with Volvo duo-prop (probably the lowest HP engine on this board, but torquey), and I find I rarely run it wide open - usually cruise around 3000-3500 rpm, with a pretty comfortable ride and nice gas mileage. The big lake near me technically has a 40mph speed limit, and mine tops out just shy of 50mph.
John
I spent a lot of time considering the power option, but in the end I decided to follow the advice of the local dealer that the new V6/280 will be more than adequate for my needs. When it comes to cars, I have always leaned towards the more powerful engines, but with my last BMW purchase, I found for my driving style the Inline 6 cylinder 535 was more than adequate and the V8 550 (455HP) was just not necessary. Sure, the 550 is faster, but there are few places around here to use it.
I think the public gets a bit confused with the numbers too (I know I did). While new new V8/300 only has 20 more HP than the V6/280, there is a significant difference in the torque outputs. I'm starting to thing that when you compare old generation Volvo Penta engines, you might be better off with a V8/225 than a V6 engine boasting more HP.
Based on what I've read and researched, with 4 adults in the boat and pulling up my 11 year old weighing 60 lbs, I doubt I'll have much trouble. I won't be the quickest (to accelerate) or the fastest boat (top speed) in the marina, but I think I'll have the best and most solid hull for the lake and from what I'm hearing, I'll have a quieter riding boat than most others.
In the end, the quality is what sold me on Cobalt and if I was wrong about the engine choice (and Big Block was right), the dealer has said they'll get me out of the boat without "murdering me", after the first season.
So, with that, I wait for the boating season ....
