I started noticing a fairly load whine and best I can tell it’s the fuel pump. Oddly I only hear after 5mph for a while, like through the marina it will start, then go away after normal boating. Not sure if anyone has had a similar issue? Only thing that makes sense to me is the anti-siphon valve may be clogged up and opens with more flow…
Anyone know how easy it is to change the ant-siphon valve on an R7?
VP Gen 5 intermittent fuel pump whine
-
Lifelongbtr
- Captain

- Posts: 223
- Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 6:53 pm
- Contact:
-
NautiWeasel
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:10 pm
- Location: Topeka, KS
- Has thanked: 2 times
- Contact:
Re: VP Gen 5 intermittent fuel pump whine
Hi Lifelongbtr.
Although I've never changed an anti-siphon valve, I have done maintenance / a rebuild on a VP fuel pump. I was having the same symptoms you're experiencing, in that the fuel pump whine was very noticeable sometimes, and others not so much. I removed my pump, took it apart, and found small pieces of gravel/ sand in the seawater cooling lines for the fuel pump. It would be worth looking at that as well.
Although I've never changed an anti-siphon valve, I have done maintenance / a rebuild on a VP fuel pump. I was having the same symptoms you're experiencing, in that the fuel pump whine was very noticeable sometimes, and others not so much. I removed my pump, took it apart, and found small pieces of gravel/ sand in the seawater cooling lines for the fuel pump. It would be worth looking at that as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
-
Lifelongbtr
- Captain

- Posts: 223
- Joined: Sun May 23, 2021 6:53 pm
- Contact:
-
NautiWeasel
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:10 pm
- Location: Topeka, KS
- Has thanked: 2 times
- Contact:
Re: VP Gen 5 intermittent fuel pump whine
Fair warning... to get to the fuel pump on the engine is a little difficult, if you want to completely remove it. I could not find a way to remove it for inspection of debris, without also removing the coolant overflow tank, fuse block, and bracket which holds both of those things. I highly recommend using a vacuum pump to remove the antifreeze so you don't dump it into your bilge, and so you can reuse it. Assuming your engine looks very similar to mine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests