Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
The hits just keep on coming !!
Went out to run the gas out of the boat today, and noticed that when I move the throttle are forward, it doesn't go into gear right away. I have to push the throttle a little further, and then it sort of "jumps" into gear (it's not smooth at all). However, the boat ran great otherwise. Got her up to 60 or so a couple of times. Engine sounded great. Ran at 25 mph around the whole lake checking out houses, etc. No early detonation issues that I could hear, either. But it didn't go into gear like it should. When I loaded it on the trailer, I put it in gear and the boat didn't move. Came back to N and then into gear again, same thing. Gave her more throttle and she jumped into gear and up on the trailer. Any thoughts on what's going on?
My outboards has a TPS adjustment that needed tweaking every so often. Do the I/O's have that same adjustment?
Went out to run the gas out of the boat today, and noticed that when I move the throttle are forward, it doesn't go into gear right away. I have to push the throttle a little further, and then it sort of "jumps" into gear (it's not smooth at all). However, the boat ran great otherwise. Got her up to 60 or so a couple of times. Engine sounded great. Ran at 25 mph around the whole lake checking out houses, etc. No early detonation issues that I could hear, either. But it didn't go into gear like it should. When I loaded it on the trailer, I put it in gear and the boat didn't move. Came back to N and then into gear again, same thing. Gave her more throttle and she jumped into gear and up on the trailer. Any thoughts on what's going on?
My outboards has a TPS adjustment that needed tweaking every so often. Do the I/O's have that same adjustment?
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
.
Hey HS...sorry to hear about your shifting woes.
Does it happen when shifting into reverse too?
Three most common causes of this:
1. Low or dirty outdrive fluid. When was the last time you changed your outdrive fluid? I'd start there.
2. Shift cable adjustment. Check any lock nuts near the ends of the cable, for if something is loose, it can slip at first and then engage with more pressure. Did any kids play "Captain" & shift it in and out of gear without the engine running? This can bend the shift fork.
3. Worn cone clutches. Cha Ching$$$
.
Hey HS...sorry to hear about your shifting woes.
Does it happen when shifting into reverse too?
Three most common causes of this:
1. Low or dirty outdrive fluid. When was the last time you changed your outdrive fluid? I'd start there.
2. Shift cable adjustment. Check any lock nuts near the ends of the cable, for if something is loose, it can slip at first and then engage with more pressure. Did any kids play "Captain" & shift it in and out of gear without the engine running? This can bend the shift fork.
3. Worn cone clutches. Cha Ching$$$
.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
I will check but I think the water pump and gear lube was done a couple years ago. I added a little to the reservoir a few weeks ago (but not much).
Omg.... clutch cones are 500 a piece !!!
Omg.... clutch cones are 500 a piece !!!
Last edited by Homeskillet on Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
.Homeskillet wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:44 pm I will check but I think the water pump and gear lube was done a couple years ago. I added a little to the reservoir a few weeks ago (but not much).
Always start with the simple solutions first and work up from there.
Did the hesitation happen shifting into reverse too?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
I can remember if it happened in reverse. I don’t think it did.
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
.Homeskillet wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:14 pm I can remember if it happened in reverse. I don’t think it did.
Let us know what you or the dealer find out. Hope you get her fixed before the 4th.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
I would check the shift Cable adjustment first. This is a b3 drive?
Nice running 60. I need a bigger big block
Nice running 60. I need a bigger big block
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Yes it’s a Bravo 3.
Is this something I might be able to do myself? I don’t know where to even look. But I’m willing to learn
Is this something I might be able to do myself? I don’t know where to even look. But I’m willing to learn
Last edited by Homeskillet on Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Maybe. Watch you tube vids.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
My mechanic called an hour ago. He said based on my description, he thought there was a pretty good chance it was the Clutch Cone. He told me he's working 18 hour days and really didn't think he could get it done before the 4th. He's ordering one today, and said he could do it Monday.
He's hopeful that it's JUST the clutch cone. Said that sometimes it's the gears, too. I said, "Oh man... I don't want to start getting into spending 3, 4, or 5K every year or so, and he said that if it was the gears too, we'd be approaching those numbers quickly. So, I'm planning to use it this week. He said to make sure NOT to increase the throttle to get it into gear, just advance the throttle and wait until it catches - otherwise I'll blow the top off. Once in gear, it'll stay (and it ran super good once in gear lol!
)
Mamma and I have been talking about it this am. We bought the boat for a good deal, and spent a little money cleaning it up. We had it wet sanded, polished, cleaned inside, recovered some cushions, stereo and new trailer (I got a deal on the trailer, and they gave me 2K for my trade. All in all on the trailer, I spent 3K out of pocket. So I think that was a good deal too). We didn't have a thing go wrong with it the first or 2nd years of ownership. This is our first real issue, and it'll probably run us about a grand (I hope) when it gets fixed on Monday (that's MY argument lol)
She's talking about fixing it and selling it, and buying something newer (idk, 2015 and newer maybe) in a different brand (ugh!). Before settling on the 220, we were looking at Crownlines in the same size. So apparently, she's having an emotional affair with the Crownline with a newer, younger boat!!!!!
In all seriousness, I don't think we've had a bad track record with it. I just don't want to get into that cycle of "well, we just spent X amount of dollars fixing it, so we should hang onto it" and then 2 months later we do the same thing, and then twice more next year, etc etc. I did that with my kid's car: Bought it for $4K and in a year, spent $3K more fixing things that just kept breaking, before deciding to cut our losses, and buy a Honda.
I can't afford a newer 220 that's for sure. But if I had to sell the Cobalt and shell out a little more for a newer Crownline, I could probably do that. I just don't want to lol!!
He's hopeful that it's JUST the clutch cone. Said that sometimes it's the gears, too. I said, "Oh man... I don't want to start getting into spending 3, 4, or 5K every year or so, and he said that if it was the gears too, we'd be approaching those numbers quickly. So, I'm planning to use it this week. He said to make sure NOT to increase the throttle to get it into gear, just advance the throttle and wait until it catches - otherwise I'll blow the top off. Once in gear, it'll stay (and it ran super good once in gear lol!
Mamma and I have been talking about it this am. We bought the boat for a good deal, and spent a little money cleaning it up. We had it wet sanded, polished, cleaned inside, recovered some cushions, stereo and new trailer (I got a deal on the trailer, and they gave me 2K for my trade. All in all on the trailer, I spent 3K out of pocket. So I think that was a good deal too). We didn't have a thing go wrong with it the first or 2nd years of ownership. This is our first real issue, and it'll probably run us about a grand (I hope) when it gets fixed on Monday (that's MY argument lol)
She's talking about fixing it and selling it, and buying something newer (idk, 2015 and newer maybe) in a different brand (ugh!). Before settling on the 220, we were looking at Crownlines in the same size. So apparently, she's having an emotional affair with the Crownline with a newer, younger boat!!!!!
In all seriousness, I don't think we've had a bad track record with it. I just don't want to get into that cycle of "well, we just spent X amount of dollars fixing it, so we should hang onto it" and then 2 months later we do the same thing, and then twice more next year, etc etc. I did that with my kid's car: Bought it for $4K and in a year, spent $3K more fixing things that just kept breaking, before deciding to cut our losses, and buy a Honda.
I can't afford a newer 220 that's for sure. But if I had to sell the Cobalt and shell out a little more for a newer Crownline, I could probably do that. I just don't want to lol!!
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
.
Thanks for the update HS. I was afraid it was option 3 in my post above but wanted you to check the obvious fixes first. BBP will get you a used Crownline or Cobalt. He only charges a small handling fee.
Thanks for the update HS. I was afraid it was option 3 in my post above but wanted you to check the obvious fixes first. BBP will get you a used Crownline or Cobalt. He only charges a small handling fee.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
LOL thanks for the help. You guys really know your stuff.
I have about 650 hours on her, and really do NOT want that Crownline lol. Heck, who's to say we won't have the same problems? We also might not have another problem with the 220 for 5 years. Such a gamble. I say we fix the Clutch and enjoy it, right?
I have about 650 hours on her, and really do NOT want that Crownline lol. Heck, who's to say we won't have the same problems? We also might not have another problem with the 220 for 5 years. Such a gamble. I say we fix the Clutch and enjoy it, right?
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
.Homeskillet wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:51 am LOL thanks for the help. You guys really know your stuff.
I have about 650 hours on her, and really do NOT want that Crownline lol. Heck, who's to say we won't have the same problems? We also might not have another problem with the 220 for 5 years. Such a gamble. I say we fix the Clutch and enjoy it, right?
I would...as it sounds like you have a pretty decent machine with a good track record. That being said, every once in awhile that large expense gets you in pretty much any boat. That's where the B.O.A.T acronym comes from.
.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
Fix it. Buying a newer Crownline is still buying someone else’s problems. You know this boat, and like you said, could buy another boat and have the same issue, minus all the love you’ve given the Cobalt already. Clutch should be a one and done, so if that’s the only issue it wouldn’t make sense financially or emotionally. Just my .02 cents.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Boat doesn't go into gear right away ???/
I agree with you all 100%.
Any thoughts to the "possibility of it being the gears, too?"
Any thoughts to the "possibility of it being the gears, too?"
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests