USB 12V Outlet Install

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Post Reply
trs23
Commander
Commander
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:31 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

USB 12V Outlet Install

Post by trs23 »

Hey all

Last weekend I installed a new 12V dual USB outlet in the helm. Was tired of my plugin USB charger coming loose and having to swap when I used other 12V accessories
IMG_2891.jpeg
I used this outlet from amazon.



and purchased a set to T-Taps to tap off the existing 12V outlet



1.25" hole saw went right through the hem fiberglass and a couple of crimps later the outlet was installed.

One thing I'd change would be to potentially to use a USB-C PD instead of USB to give me a bit more future proofing. It's easy enough to swap now, so will wait a year or two to see if it's worth it to change.

I can take some pictures of the rear if anyone is interested.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2981
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
Location: Antioch, IL
Contact:

Re: USB 12V Outlet Install

Post by akorcovelos »

If you just tapped into the other socket wiring be careful how many things you run at once or you may pop the breaker. I was planning on replacing mine with a newer one as well, but still only one plug.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: USB 12V Outlet Install

Post by BobRae99 »

Unless you have a need for it, I might have just removed the 12V and replaced it with the device you bought. Installation looks tidy though and you can never have enough connectivity.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
trs23
Commander
Commander
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:31 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: USB 12V Outlet Install

Post by trs23 »

I wanted to keep my 12V to run my portable vacuum :)
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 42 guests