Trimming
- TruckerTim
- Commander

- Posts: 150
- Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 8:08 am
- Location: Birmingham, AL
- Contact:
Trimming
New to the forum and Cobalt. Just picked up a new 2019 R7 and having issues with the correct trim setting. Been running direct drives for the past 20 years so a little rusty on the stern drive. (Love being able to steer in reverse now, but having to relearn that as well!) It has the “Auto Trim” which is supposed to adjust the trim according to the speed, but watching the gauge it never adjust, no matter the speed.
Pointers; advice..?? Thx
Pointers; advice..?? Thx
2019 R7
Re: Trimming
Volvo motor? Did you turn on evc?
At cruising speed so turning about 4000-4500rpms. With evc on my trim is at 19%.
At cruising speed so turning about 4000-4500rpms. With evc on my trim is at 19%.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Trimming
It doesn't sound like it's turned on then to me. You can still push the trim up and listen to the engine smooth out. If the frt end starts to bounce just tap it down a bit. It won't need much trim. Others will chime in on the
lazymans trim operation.
lazymans trim operation.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
- TruckerTim
- Commander

- Posts: 150
- Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 8:08 am
- Location: Birmingham, AL
- Contact:
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Trimming
I guess I would try it manually then if that works out sounds like dealer bonding time.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: Trimming
.TruckerTim wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 8:59 am New to the forum and Cobalt. Just picked up a new 2019 R7 and having issues with the correct trim setting. Been running direct drives for the past 20 years so a little rusty on the stern drive. (Love being able to steer in reverse now, but having to relearn that as well!) It has the “Auto Trim” which is supposed to adjust the trim according to the speed, but watching the gauge it never adjust, no matter the speed.
Pointers; advice..?? Thx
Hey TT. Welcome to the Cobalt chat forum. So glad you found us!
I’m not as familiar with auto trim but others with that system will chime in shortly.
When backing up, just remember to turn the wheel in the direction you want the stern to go. Shift into reverse....turn left...stern goes left. Soon your muscle memory will be instinctive.
Also, I’m in and out of gear while docking. Wind, approach angle and momentum are the big three to remember. Take it slow and have fun!
Any pics?
Again, welcome aboard mate!
.
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
- BigGib
- Captain

- Posts: 268
- Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:11 am
- Location: Osage Beach / Wentzville, MO
- Contact:
Re: Trimming
Coming from go fast boats, I never rely on a gauge to tell me how it's trimmed. An easy trick is trust your feet. You can feel it in your feet as you trim up. The boat will have less resistance in the water and it will start to smooth out. You can also feel it in the steering
2008 Cobalt 302 5.7GXI's
"Meant to Be"
Wentzville, MO
Lake of the Ozarks
"Meant to Be"
Wentzville, MO
Lake of the Ozarks
-
Norris_Boating
- Captain

- Posts: 481
- Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 7:19 am
- Location: Tennessee
- Contact:
Re: Trimming
Welcome to the forum! Great group with lots of great advice.
My auto trim is on my throttle, bottom button green light is on.
Around 20 mph should auto trim to about 5%, 30ish+ mph should be like 17%.
If this isn't happening and it is turned on contact the dealer for repair.
I run on auto trim but sometimes adjust further based water condition, lowered for rough water or when going through big waves, higher when smooth water.
My auto trim is on my throttle, bottom button green light is on.
Around 20 mph should auto trim to about 5%, 30ish+ mph should be like 17%.
If this isn't happening and it is turned on contact the dealer for repair.
I run on auto trim but sometimes adjust further based water condition, lowered for rough water or when going through big waves, higher when smooth water.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
- TruckerTim
- Commander

- Posts: 150
- Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 8:08 am
- Location: Birmingham, AL
- Contact:
Re: Trimming
Thanks for all the comments. Turns out it was on all along. What I didn't know was it only kicks in when above 3000 rpm.
2019 R7
Re: Trimming
So occasionally I get front end bounce when trimmed up for higher speed, so I need to trim back into water to get rid of?Big Block Power wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:08 am It doesn't sound like it's turned on then to me. You can still push the trim up and listen to the engine smooth out. If the frt end starts to bounce just tap it down a bit. It won't need much trim. Others will chime in on the
lazymans trim operation.
Cobalt 292, white with blue sport stripes, twin Volvo 5.7’s.
Stilwell Ks, boat at Tablerock
Stilwell Ks, boat at Tablerock
Re: Trimming
Trim down a little until it stops. I find I have to adjust pretty frequently up or down depending on the water.MikeBo wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:03 pmSo occasionally I get front end bounce when trimmed up for higher speed, so I need to trim back into water to get rid of?Big Block Power wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 9:08 am It doesn't sound like it's turned on then to me. You can still push the trim up and listen to the engine smooth out. If the frt end starts to bounce just tap it down a bit. It won't need much trim. Others will chime in on the
lazymans trim operation.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
"DIGGIN' IT"
Re: Trimming
Thank you, very helpful
Cobalt 292, white with blue sport stripes, twin Volvo 5.7’s.
Stilwell Ks, boat at Tablerock
Stilwell Ks, boat at Tablerock
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Trimming
I had my props customized last winter by DAH PROPELLERS, and this summer my 220 has been really fun to drive. It's faster, quicker out of the hole and I am getting a little more lift with significantly less trimming. It stays hooked up nicely on turns, AND I can stay on plane at pretty slow speeds for those lazy rides
I have not checked my speed recently (and not via GPS so take that for what it's worth) but it is pretty fast for a hull not known for its speed. Speedo said 58mph in June, and I was still gaining when I backed off. I had 4 adults in the boat and about 35 ga of gas.
Customizing your props may help with your situation, too.
I have not checked my speed recently (and not via GPS so take that for what it's worth) but it is pretty fast for a hull not known for its speed. Speedo said 58mph in June, and I was still gaining when I backed off. I had 4 adults in the boat and about 35 ga of gas.
Customizing your props may help with your situation, too.
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Trimming
Man send me those props I want to try them. That's awesome man.Homeskillet wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:40 pm I had my props customized last winter by DAH PROPELLERS, and this summer my 220 has been really fun to drive. It's faster, quicker out of the hole and I am getting a little more lift with significantly less trimming. It stays hooked up nicely on turns, AND I can stay on plane at pretty slow speeds for those lazy rides![]()
I have not checked my speed recently (and not via GPS so take that for what it's worth) but it is pretty fast for a hull not known for its speed. Speedo said 58mph in June, and I was still gaining when I backed off. I had 4 adults in the boat and about 35 ga of gas.
Customizing your props may help with your situation, too.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Norris_Boating
- Captain

- Posts: 481
- Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 7:19 am
- Location: Tennessee
- Contact:
Re: Trimming
Wow, I just checked out their site, had no idea custom props were even an option!Homeskillet wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:40 pm I had my props customized last winter by DAH PROPELLERS, and this summer my 220 has been really fun to drive. It's faster, quicker out of the hole and I am getting a little more lift with significantly less trimming. It stays hooked up nicely on turns, AND I can stay on plane at pretty slow speeds for those lazy rides![]()
I have not checked my speed recently (and not via GPS so take that for what it's worth) but it is pretty fast for a hull not known for its speed. Speedo said 58mph in June, and I was still gaining when I backed off. I had 4 adults in the boat and about 35 ga of gas.
Customizing your props may help with your situation, too.
What was your top speed before?
How much was the prop?
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests
