New R5 Surf owner
-
MnLakeBum
- Rear Admiral

- Posts: 835
- Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
- Location: Minnesota
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 2 times
- Contact:
New R5 Surf owner
I’m a proud owner of a new R5 Surf as of a few days ago. We just moved back to MN after work took us to California for 20 years. We are super happy to be back in the Land of 10,000 lakes and we just completed the build on a summer retirement home on Gull Lake near Brainerd MN. It’s a 2 hour drive from our Minneapolis home and we will be spending about 45 days at the lake between now and Labor Day. We have 2 college kids and one in 8th grade and all of us are super excited to put lots of hours on the R5!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
- NautiGirl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2849
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
- Location: Kentucky
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: New R5 Surf owner
Gorgeous picture. We NEED some upclose boat pics too! And Welcome from KY!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Re: New R5 Surf owner
welcome from St. Louis/Table rock lake. Amazing shot there. Now can we get some close ups of that R5? Also what is powering that R5?
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
-
MnLakeBum
- Rear Admiral

- Posts: 835
- Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
- Location: Minnesota
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 2 times
- Contact:
Re: New R5 Surf owner
I was so excited when they delivered it on Tuesday evening that I forgot to take pictures! We are headed up later today so I will get lots of pics this weekend and post a couple here. I went with the 380 on the recommendation of the dealer and it is the quickest boat I’ve owned and handles like a dream. I only put a couple hours on it because I had to get back to Minneapolis but we will get at least 5 hours of run time with it this weekend. The other boat pictured in the adjacent lift is a 2016 Marker One M27 with a 350 Verado and I told my son the M27 is like driving a minivan and the R5 is like a Tesla 
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
Re: New R5 Surf owner
Oh, don’t compare it to a Tesla
https://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/201 ... g.cnnmoney
Congrats on your new home and Cobalt!
https://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/201 ... g.cnnmoney
Congrats on your new home and Cobalt!
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
-
estoglow
- Lieutenant

- Posts: 37
- Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:36 pm
- Location: Terra Cotta, Ontario
- Contact:
Re: New R5 Surf owner
Welcome to the forum MnLakeBum from the Great White North! Lovely place and boat, love to see some up close pics as well as someone trying to surf. 
2004 Cobalt 240
496 MAG B3
496 MAG B3
-
MnLakeBum
- Rear Admiral

- Posts: 835
- Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
- Location: Minnesota
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 2 times
- Contact:
Re: New R5 Surf owner
I made that comparison because my last company vehicle was a Toyota minivan but I’m now recently retired and in our 3 year old Tesla as my daily driver. I love the Tesla and so far no flames!
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
Re: New R5 Surf owner
Haha, not a knock on Tesla.
Millions of petroleum engines have gone up in flames.
I did read that Elon Musk felt it was sabotage. Truth is, the possibility of any given power source, from e-cig batteries to nuclear reactors have the potential to fail.
Anyway, here's an unfueled and warm welcome from Buffalo NY.



Millions of petroleum engines have gone up in flames.
I did read that Elon Musk felt it was sabotage. Truth is, the possibility of any given power source, from e-cig batteries to nuclear reactors have the potential to fail.
Anyway, here's an unfueled and warm welcome from Buffalo NY.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
- jhnmdahl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2440
- Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
- Location: Twin Cities, MN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
- Contact:
Re: New R5 Surf owner
MNLake, welcome from a fellow Twin Cities resident. Perhaps our Cobalts will cross paths in a year or two when our little one can find a life jacket that fits (and can hold his head up on his own).
John
John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: New R5 Surf owner
.
Hey mLbum...that is one awesome picture and setup you have!
Like Nauti said, closeups are a must!
And from one P100d owner to another, welcome aboard mate!
.
Hey mLbum...that is one awesome picture and setup you have!
Like Nauti said, closeups are a must!
And from one P100d owner to another, welcome aboard mate!
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
Re: New R5 Surf owner
NIce! I always thought the r5 with a 380 would be a nice combo.MnLakeBum wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:44 am I was so excited when they delivered it on Tuesday evening that I forgot to take pictures! We are headed up later today so I will get lots of pics this weekend and post a couple here. I went with the 380 on the recommendation of the dealer and it is the quickest boat I’ve owned and handles like a dream. I only put a couple hours on it because I had to get back to Minneapolis but we will get at least 5 hours of run time with it this weekend. The other boat pictured in the adjacent lift is a 2016 Marker One M27 with a 350 Verado and I told my son the M27 is like driving a minivan and the R5 is like a Tesla![]()
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Re: New R5 Surf owner
Welcome from Ohio. Diggin your boat and lake view
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
Re: New R5 Surf owner
Welcome from California! Nice two tone bottom to classic white. Yes we love upclose pics with details. Even some cheetos bags Layin about!!
Your keeping the mini van?? mmmm curios to see which becomes your go to as you walk out to the dock. I predict the M27 may be retired soon.
Your keeping the mini van?? mmmm curios to see which becomes your go to as you walk out to the dock. I predict the M27 may be retired soon.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
-
MnLakeBum
- Rear Admiral

- Posts: 835
- Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
- Location: Minnesota
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 2 times
- Contact:
Re: New R5 Surf owner
The M27 like any pontoon is very minivan like but on those days where everyone wants to get out on the water at the same time, it will come in handy. We have 10 adults and 12 “kids” mostly in their late teens or early 20’s staying at our place for 10 days in July and I’m thinking both boats will see a lot of use. The M27 is also great for a sunset cocktail cruise or a big swim platform in the the middle of the lake that we also use as a jet ski base station 
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests
