Page 1 of 1
What are these wires for?
Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 1:17 pm
by ATX Cobalt
I installed a new Sony head unit today and found these wires. Are they extra leads, or what? Hoping they are so I can use them for my amp.
Re: What are these wires for?
Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm
by Driller
Have to checked them with a voltage meter to see if that are hot. On my boat yellow is ground and red is hot. Looks like you've got 2 main power, 2-grounds, and a set of Myrex plugs. (I think it's myrex).
Re: What are these wires for?
Posted: Sun May 06, 2018 4:14 pm
by Big Block Power
Yes those are all extra leads for amps and I'm sure there are extra wires for speakers for a tower. Check to see if they are hot. Red is 12v. Only one might be. They go to your circuit breakers by your battery switch. Now the other issue is most amps want a larger size/smaller number guage wire so it doesn't drop power. So far mine has been ok but I don't drive the speakers too hard. If you need help just yell.
Re: What are these wires for?
Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:07 pm
by slideruleracer
Those are the amp leads. On my boat the +12v leads (red) were still not connected at the battery switch. To connect them, you'll need 2 new breakers/fuses sized for your amps to connect between the battery switch and those leads.
Re: What are these wires for?
Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:01 pm
by thunder550
Driller wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm
Have to checked them with a voltage meter to see if that are hot. On my boat yellow is ground and red is hot. Looks like you've got 2 main power, 2-grounds, and a set of Myrex plugs. (I think it's myrex).
Molex maybe instead of myrex?
Re: What are these wires for?
Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:07 pm
by Driller
I guess myrex is a totally different animal. I was close though at least I had 3 out of 6 letters right. That's batting .500.
Re: What are these wires for?
Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:10 pm
by Driller
I guess myrex is a totally different animal. I was close though at least I had 3 out of 6 letters right. That's batting .500.
Myrex is an Oil and Gas Steel Fabrication company in Houston, TX.
Re: What are these wires for?
Posted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:14 pm
by Big Block Power
thunder550 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:01 pm
Driller wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm
Have to checked them with a voltage meter to see if that are hot. On my boat yellow is ground and red is hot. Looks like you've got 2 main power, 2-grounds, and a set of Myrex plugs. (I think it's myrex).
Molex maybe instead of myrex?
I knew what he meant.that was his Pot the Jus word for it.

Re: What are these wires for?
Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:18 am
by Silverbullet555
If you're running any serious wattage I would run new wires. But, that's me
Re: What are these wires for?
Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:06 pm
by ATX Cobalt
Driller wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm
Have to checked them with a voltage meter to see if that are hot. On my boat yellow is ground and red is hot. Looks like you've got 2 main power, 2-grounds, and a set of Myrex plugs. (I think it's myrex).
[/quote
Just bough a new voltage meter on Amazon to keep on the boat. I'll check them on Saturday. Thanks for all your comments everyone!
I'm glad I found them when I installed my new Sony unit last weekend. However, I was immediately disappointed when I heard how crappy the original Sony speakers sounded. Looks like I'll be spending another grand on new JL speakers and their 6 channel/600 watt amp sooner than later!
Re: What are these wires for?
Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:12 pm
by ATX Cobalt
slideruleracer wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:07 pm
Those are the amp leads. On my boat the +12v leads (red) were still not connected at the battery switch. To connect them, you'll need 2 new breakers/fuses sized for your amps to connect between the battery switch and those leads.
Do I just add the fuses, or do I need to wire them in too?
Re: What are these wires for?
Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:01 pm
by slideruleracer
On mine, I had to wire in new breakers - the amp positive leads were just capped behind the battery switch, not connected to anything. The ground wires were connected to the ground bus, though.
Re: What are these wires for?
Posted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:10 pm
by ATX Cobalt
slideruleracer wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:01 pm
On mine, I had to wire in new breakers - the amp positive leads were just capped behind the battery switch, not connected to anything. The ground wires were connected to the ground bus, though.
Got it, thanks again!
Re: What are these wires for?
Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:18 pm
by slideruleracer
BTW, the blue wire in the background should be your amp turn-on lead. There's a similar wire up at your head unit (may or may not be connected depending upon your head unit). If you want to maintain the factory connectors, lookup Tyco Mate-N-lok connectors (.25" pitch). You can find all the different male/female and pin count variants that are used in our boats. I bought some from DigiKey for my work.