What are these wires for?

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Post Reply
ATX Cobalt
Commander
Commander
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

What are these wires for?

Post by ATX Cobalt »

I installed a new Sony head unit today and found these wires. Are they extra leads, or what? Hoping they are so I can use them for my amp.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2007 Cobalt 200
User avatar
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2023
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: What are these wires for?

Post by Driller »

Have to checked them with a voltage meter to see if that are hot. On my boat yellow is ground and red is hot. Looks like you've got 2 main power, 2-grounds, and a set of Myrex plugs. (I think it's myrex).
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: What are these wires for?

Post by Big Block Power »

Yes those are all extra leads for amps and I'm sure there are extra wires for speakers for a tower. Check to see if they are hot. Red is 12v. Only one might be. They go to your circuit breakers by your battery switch. Now the other issue is most amps want a larger size/smaller number guage wire so it doesn't drop power. So far mine has been ok but I don't drive the speakers too hard. If you need help just yell.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:28 am
Location: New England
Contact:

Re: What are these wires for?

Post by slideruleracer »

Those are the amp leads. On my boat the +12v leads (red) were still not connected at the battery switch. To connect them, you'll need 2 new breakers/fuses sized for your amps to connect between the battery switch and those leads.
2004 250
502 Gxi
Order your Umbrella Adapters, no drill TigTech flagpole kits and seat repair kits from:
http://www.slideruleracing.com
User avatar
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Contact:

Re: What are these wires for?

Post by thunder550 »

Driller wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm Have to checked them with a voltage meter to see if that are hot. On my boat yellow is ground and red is hot. Looks like you've got 2 main power, 2-grounds, and a set of Myrex plugs. (I think it's myrex).
Molex maybe instead of myrex?
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
User avatar
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2023
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: What are these wires for?

Post by Driller »

I guess myrex is a totally different animal. I was close though at least I had 3 out of 6 letters right. That's batting .500.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
User avatar
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2023
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: What are these wires for?

Post by Driller »

I guess myrex is a totally different animal. I was close though at least I had 3 out of 6 letters right. That's batting .500.

Myrex is an Oil and Gas Steel Fabrication company in Houston, TX.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: What are these wires for?

Post by Big Block Power »

thunder550 wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 3:01 pm
Driller wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm Have to checked them with a voltage meter to see if that are hot. On my boat yellow is ground and red is hot. Looks like you've got 2 main power, 2-grounds, and a set of Myrex plugs. (I think it's myrex).
Molex maybe instead of myrex?
I knew what he meant.that was his Pot the Jus word for it.:-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Silverbullet555
Commander
Commander
Posts: 152
Joined: Tue May 08, 2018 8:03 am
Location: ID
Contact:

Re: What are these wires for?

Post by Silverbullet555 »

If you're running any serious wattage I would run new wires. But, that's me
James
2002 226 with VP 8.1Gi DP
ATX Cobalt
Commander
Commander
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: What are these wires for?

Post by ATX Cobalt »

Driller wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 2:44 pm Have to checked them with a voltage meter to see if that are hot. On my boat yellow is ground and red is hot. Looks like you've got 2 main power, 2-grounds, and a set of Myrex plugs. (I think it's myrex).
[/quote

Just bough a new voltage meter on Amazon to keep on the boat. I'll check them on Saturday. Thanks for all your comments everyone!

I'm glad I found them when I installed my new Sony unit last weekend. However, I was immediately disappointed when I heard how crappy the original Sony speakers sounded. Looks like I'll be spending another grand on new JL speakers and their 6 channel/600 watt amp sooner than later!
2007 Cobalt 200
ATX Cobalt
Commander
Commander
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: What are these wires for?

Post by ATX Cobalt »

slideruleracer wrote: Mon May 07, 2018 12:07 pm Those are the amp leads. On my boat the +12v leads (red) were still not connected at the battery switch. To connect them, you'll need 2 new breakers/fuses sized for your amps to connect between the battery switch and those leads.
Do I just add the fuses, or do I need to wire them in too?
2007 Cobalt 200
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:28 am
Location: New England
Contact:

Re: What are these wires for?

Post by slideruleracer »

On mine, I had to wire in new breakers - the amp positive leads were just capped behind the battery switch, not connected to anything. The ground wires were connected to the ground bus, though.
2004 250
502 Gxi
Order your Umbrella Adapters, no drill TigTech flagpole kits and seat repair kits from:
http://www.slideruleracing.com
ATX Cobalt
Commander
Commander
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:44 pm
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: What are these wires for?

Post by ATX Cobalt »

slideruleracer wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 2:01 pm On mine, I had to wire in new breakers - the amp positive leads were just capped behind the battery switch, not connected to anything. The ground wires were connected to the ground bus, though.
Got it, thanks again!
2007 Cobalt 200
slideruleracer
Captain
Captain
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:28 am
Location: New England
Contact:

Re: What are these wires for?

Post by slideruleracer »

BTW, the blue wire in the background should be your amp turn-on lead. There's a similar wire up at your head unit (may or may not be connected depending upon your head unit). If you want to maintain the factory connectors, lookup Tyco Mate-N-lok connectors (.25" pitch). You can find all the different male/female and pin count variants that are used in our boats. I bought some from DigiKey for my work.
2004 250
502 Gxi
Order your Umbrella Adapters, no drill TigTech flagpole kits and seat repair kits from:
http://www.slideruleracing.com
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 50 guests