Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
User avatar
kbloom72
Commander
Commander
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by kbloom72 »

Good Morning Everyone!

Decided it was time to upgrade some of the components in my 05 262. So far I'm very pleased. The volume and clarity is so much better than the old Sony unit. I removed the Sony head unit, 2 remotes, CD changer and XM unit. I hoped to pull all the old wiring out, but it doesn't seem possible without really tearing things apart. I had to make plates for the helm and transom remote as the replacements weren't large enough to cover the holes. I need to go back and clean up my caulking around the transom remote. The 3rd remote was new and in the bow. Next I'll replace the amp and add a sub.

Phase 1 -

Fusion MA-RS70 Head Unit
(3) Fusion Wireless Remotes
(6) Polk DB-652
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2005 Cobalt 262
Fox River Grove, IL
User avatar
kbloom72
Commander
Commander
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by kbloom72 »

Adding speaker pictures...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2005 Cobalt 262
Fox River Grove, IL
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by AsLan7 »

.
Making fantastic progress KB72. Is there anyway to clean up that oval dash area from the fading left by the old Sony helm remote?

Keep those pics comin' my friend.

.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
User avatar
kbloom72
Commander
Commander
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by kbloom72 »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:51 am .
Making fantastic progress KB72. Is there anyway to clean up that oval dash area from the fading left by the old Sony helm remote?

Keep those pics comin' my friend.

.
Thanks AS7! I was hoping sun would help me in that area, but if not I will make another oval backer.
2005 Cobalt 262
Fox River Grove, IL
User avatar
kbloom72
Commander
Commander
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by kbloom72 »

**Update**

I just took advantage of the members discount that Creative Audio offers and picked up 7.7 JL Audio tower speakers and a 10" JL Audio sub. Need to do some research on what amps I want. I know JL and WetSounds are the preferred, but would like anyone's opinion on other brands. Size and channel recommendations are welcome as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2005 Cobalt 262
Fox River Grove, IL
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by AsLan7 »

.
You will love those tower speakers kb72. Loce the pics. :D
Get the Wet Sounds Sinister 4 channel amp and bridge them for 685 Watts of power. You will not be disappointed my friend.' 8-)


/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
User avatar
kbloom72
Commander
Commander
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by kbloom72 »

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:04 am .
You will love those tower speakers kb72. Loce the pics. :D
Get the Wet Sounds Sinister 4 channel and bridge them. You won't be disappointed!
Thanks for that advice AS7! I'll add that one to the list to research.
2005 Cobalt 262
Fox River Grove, IL
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by AsLan7 »

kbloom72 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:07 am
AsLan7 wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 9:04 am .
You will love those tower speakers kb72. Loce the pics. :D
Get the Wet Sounds Sinister 4 channel and bridge them. You won't be disappointed!
Thanks for that advice AS7! I'll add that one to the list to research.
Sure thing kb72....it's what we did although we're using Wet Sounds tower speakers. Their horn tweeters for projection is unmatched.

.

.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:13 pm
Location: east side
Contact:

Re: Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by xlint89 »

How many tower speakers did you buy? This will have an impact on which amp to get. 2 or 4 channel

How many watts is the 10" sub rated for?

If only 1 pair of towers and a single sub, you might be able to get away with just a 3 channel amp.

If 2 pairs on the tower, maybe a 5 channel is in order.

Hey Aslan, the JL 7.7 speakers are only rated for about 150W. So that WS amp would be overkill for just 1 pair.
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by AsLan7 »

xlint89 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:01 am
Hey Aslan, the JL 7.7 speakers are only rated for about 150W. So that WS amp would be overkill for just 1 pair.
.
Hey X. Great point. Thanks for the post. Rev 10’s will handle 300 Watts continuous and 600 peak. You will actually blow more speakers by under powering them. The horn tweeter & high sensitivity rating can take all you can give her. Trust me I’ve cranked these and they never fail.
If you get this combo I PROMISE any buyer they will not disappoint. Switch to REV 10’s! :lol: 🔈🔈🔊🔊🔈🔊🔊☀️☀️☀️☀️


.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:13 pm
Location: east side
Contact:

Re: Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by xlint89 »

AsLan7 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:18 pm
xlint89 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:01 am
Hey Aslan, the JL 7.7 speakers are only rated for about 150W. So that WS amp would be overkill for just 1 pair.
.
Hey X. Great point. Thanks for the post. Rev 10’s will handle 300 Watts continuous and 600 peak. You will actually blow more speakers by under powering them. The horn tweeter & high sensitivity rating can take all you can give her. Trust me I’ve cranked these and they never fail.
If you get this combo I PROMISE any buyer they will not disappoint. Switch to REV 10’s! :lol: 🔈🔈🔊🔊🔈🔊🔊☀️☀️☀️☀️


.
I absolutely agree with you with under powered speakers being damaged more.

Your rev 10's vid is awesome.

I went with the JL 8.8's on the tower because I wanted quality sound close up. We normally just float and hang out at the back of the boat. But they do lack in the bass dept on the tower.

I have read the rev 10's are capable of producing some bass sound. Is this true?

Now the 8.8's in the cockpit is a whole other story. I would say prob hard to find a better speaker
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by AsLan7 »

xlint89 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:38 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:18 pm
xlint89 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:01 am
Hey Aslan, the JL 7.7 speakers are only rated for about 150W. So that WS amp would be overkill for just 1 pair.
.
Hey X. Great point. Thanks for the post. Rev 10’s will handle 300 Watts continuous and 600 peak. You will actually blow more speakers by under powering them. The horn tweeter & high sensitivity rating can take all you can give her. Trust me I’ve cranked these and they never fail.
If you get this combo I PROMISE any buyer they will not disappoint. Switch to REV 10’s! :lol: 🔈🔈🔊🔊🔈🔊🔊☀️☀️☀️☀️


.
I absolutely agree with you with under powered speakers being damaged more.

Your rev 10's vid is awesome.

I went with the JL 8.8's on the tower because I wanted quality sound close up. We normally just float and hang out at the back of the boat. But they do lack in the bass dept on the tower.

I have read the rev 10's are capable of producing some bass sound. Is this true?

Now the 8.8's in the cockpit is a whole other story. I would say prob hard to find a better speaker
.
JL 8.8’s rock buddy.
REV’s produce some bass but the subwoofer is still a must IMHO. I do like our music bass heavy though.

We just got our RF head unit updated Friday with the latest software which cured the Bluetooth drop out that used to happen right around the hour mark. Instant subwoofer bass adjustment on the head unit and remotes using dedicated buttons is so nice ….one of my favorite features.

We also added a blue seas Battery switch and ACR which cured the drop out on start up. Now music is seamless on shut down and start up. 👍🏻

.



.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
User avatar
kbloom72
Commander
Commander
Posts: 168
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 11:44 am
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by kbloom72 »

xlint89 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:01 am How many tower speakers did you buy? This will have an impact on which amp to get. 2 or 4 channel

How many watts is the 10" sub rated for?

If only 1 pair of towers and a single sub, you might be able to get away with just a 3 channel amp.

If 2 pairs on the tower, maybe a 5 channel is in order.

Hey Aslan, the JL 7.7 speakers are only rated for about 150W. So that WS amp would be overkill for just 1 pair.
Good Morning -

This is what I have -

(2) JL Audio M770-ETXv3-SG-TK M Series 7.7-inch (196mm) Tower Coaxial Speaker System Sport Titanium Grill Satin Black
(1) JL Audio MX10IB3-SG-TB 10-inch Marine Subwoofer Driver Titanium Sport Grilles 4 Ohm
(6) Polk DB 652 6.5-inch speakers
(1) Fusion MS-RA70 Head Unit

I ordered Fusion Entertainment SG-DA82000 Signature Series 8 Channel Marine Amplifier to replace my existing Sony amp from the factory. I'm planning to use that to run my six interiors on 1-4, towers on 5+6, and sub on 7+8. Hopefully that is a sound plan. I'm by no means the guy that needs the loudest music. I just want a good sounding system.
2005 Cobalt 262
Fox River Grove, IL
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:13 pm
Location: east side
Contact:

Re: Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by xlint89 »

AsLan7 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:04 am
xlint89 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:38 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:18 pm
.
Hey X. Great point. Thanks for the post. Rev 10’s will handle 300 Watts continuous and 600 peak. You will actually blow more speakers by under powering them. The horn tweeter & high sensitivity rating can take all you can give her. Trust me I’ve cranked these and they never fail.
If you get this combo I PROMISE any buyer they will not disappoint. Switch to REV 10’s! :lol: 🔈🔈🔊🔊🔈🔊🔊☀️☀️☀️☀️


.
I absolutely agree with you with under powered speakers being damaged more.

Your rev 10's vid is awesome.

I went with the JL 8.8's on the tower because I wanted quality sound close up. We normally just float and hang out at the back of the boat. But they do lack in the bass dept on the tower.

I have read the rev 10's are capable of producing some bass sound. Is this true?

Now the 8.8's in the cockpit is a whole other story. I would say prob hard to find a better speaker
.
JL 8.8’s rock buddy.
REV’s produce some bass but the subwoofer is still a must IMHO. I do like our music bass heavy though.

We just got our RF head unit updated Friday with the latest software which cured the Bluetooth drop out that used to happen right around the hour mark. Instant subwoofer bass adjustment on the head unit and remotes using dedicated buttons is so nice ….one of my favorite features.

We also added a blue seas Battery switch and ACR which cured the drop out on start up. Now music is seamless on shut down and start up. 👍🏻

.



.
I like bass heavy music as well. Another reason I like the JL amps is the attenuation knob you can install. I have 2 and can turn up/down the sub and up/down the tower speakers by just twisting the knobs I mounted below the head unit. Much faster than having to go through the HU and adjust "zones" or sub output.

Glad you like the upgrade. It makes a world of difference when you have a killer stereo system. I find most people enjoy the tunes being cranked up. (and my awesome dance moves...... :lol: )
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:13 pm
Location: east side
Contact:

Re: Stereo Upgrade - 05 262

Post by xlint89 »

kbloom72 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:58 am
xlint89 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:01 am How many tower speakers did you buy? This will have an impact on which amp to get. 2 or 4 channel

How many watts is the 10" sub rated for?

If only 1 pair of towers and a single sub, you might be able to get away with just a 3 channel amp.

If 2 pairs on the tower, maybe a 5 channel is in order.

Hey Aslan, the JL 7.7 speakers are only rated for about 150W. So that WS amp would be overkill for just 1 pair.
Good Morning -

This is what I have -

(2) JL Audio M770-ETXv3-SG-TK M Series 7.7-inch (196mm) Tower Coaxial Speaker System Sport Titanium Grill Satin Black
(1) JL Audio MX10IB3-SG-TB 10-inch Marine Subwoofer Driver Titanium Sport Grilles 4 Ohm
(6) Polk DB 652 6.5-inch speakers
(1) Fusion MS-RA70 Head Unit

I ordered Fusion Entertainment SG-DA82000 Signature Series 8 Channel Marine Amplifier to replace my existing Sony amp from the factory. I'm planning to use that to run my six interiors on 1-4, towers on 5+6, and sub on 7+8. Hopefully that is a sound plan. I'm by no means the guy that needs the loudest music. I just want a good sounding system.
It looks like you already have the amplifier selection made then. Hopefully it works out really well for you.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests