JL stereo upgrade

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Posts: 538
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:13 pm
Location: east side
Contact:

Re: JL stereo upgrade

Post by xlint89 »

OFC wire. Tinned if you're in salt water climate. (although tinned is not a problem if in fresh water)

12 or 14 gauge speaker wire is fine.

Power supply wire size depends on the amount of amplifiers you're going to be powering from that location. If you're going to be supplying multiple amps from the same spot and using a distribution block, the wire size would be different then just powering a one amplifier.

I prefer running ground wire to the battery. It's important to use the same ground for all the stereo equip in order to prevent grounding loops. (grounding loops can cause unwanted noise. Ever here a stereo that whines along with engine RPM?)

If you use the grounding block, you will most likely need to up the wire gauge to the block to match the load of the existing electrical plus the added amplifier load.

I'd suggest running a second pair of speaker wires into your tower if you think you'll be adding a second pair of speakers.
Luv2HuntAR
Commander
Commander
Posts: 160
Joined: Sat May 23, 2020 10:18 am
Location: Little Rock, AR
Contact:

Re: JL stereo upgrade

Post by Luv2HuntAR »

xlint89 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:05 am
.......
I prefer running ground wire to the battery. It's important to use the same ground for all the stereo equip in order to prevent grounding loops. (grounding loops can cause unwanted noise. Ever here a stereo that whines along with engine RPM?)
.......
I’ve always wondered about this ..... now I know. Good info.
_____________________________________
2020 Cobalt R5 - Volvo 350
Ebony with Knockout Red Accent
“Dirty Doris”
Lake Ouachita- Mountain Harbor
Little Rock, AR
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 40 guests