3 years in storage.....and a tow
3 years in storage.....and a tow
OK. You can throw shade. I have a 212 I ordered and purchased in 2008. It has 17 hours. I pulled it out this past weekend after 3 years in storage, put 10 gallons of high octane in and hoped for the best (boat was stored with 1/4 tank or about 10 gallons)....and that didn't happen. It ran great for 90 seconds and then dead. Now it won't start. It will almost start, but not quite. So today I disconnected the feed line at the fuel pump and started to drain the 1/2 tank I have in the boat. After 2 hours I have 16 gallons out and bam, nothing else. (gauge shows 1/8 tank left) After I put the boat back up, it occurred to me that there might be time delay anti-siphon valve. Does anyone know? Nothing will come out. The line collapses on vacuum. I tried to blow air back up the line and it holds pressure. So either something has horribly blocked the line or there is a valve. Anybody know the answer? My next question is on Oil and Grease. After 4 years, should I have the oil changed and lower unit greased just because of the elapsed time? The engine oil looks good. Any help is appreciated. I have been boating for 40 years, just not much lately. Life gets in the way sometimes.
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: 3 years in storage.....and a tow
.
Hey plaborde. Welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!
Did you put any stabilizer in that gas before you stored it? If not, that gas is certainly bad and it's a good thing you are getting it out of there. Don't know about the anti-siphoning valve on these models but others will chime in.
Definitely change your fluids. Impeller is another big one to change as those rubber pieces can get all through your cooling system...especially if dry rotted. Bellows are also rubber and need to be checked. Basically a full work up is in order (batteries, plugs, trailer bearings, dry rotted seals, fluids etc.)
Any pics of your Cobalt?
Again, welcome aboard mate!
.
Hey plaborde. Welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!
Did you put any stabilizer in that gas before you stored it? If not, that gas is certainly bad and it's a good thing you are getting it out of there. Don't know about the anti-siphoning valve on these models but others will chime in.
Definitely change your fluids. Impeller is another big one to change as those rubber pieces can get all through your cooling system...especially if dry rotted. Bellows are also rubber and need to be checked. Basically a full work up is in order (batteries, plugs, trailer bearings, dry rotted seals, fluids etc.)
Any pics of your Cobalt?
Again, welcome aboard mate!
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: 3 years in storage.....and a tow
Yes change all of the fluids.
Can you run the fuel pump manually and drain the rest off the fuel rail. I don't know of any anti drain back valve either.
Can you run the fuel pump manually and drain the rest off the fuel rail. I don't know of any anti drain back valve either.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Re: 3 years in storage.....and a tow
Dear AsLan7
I replaced the water impeller before putting it in storage last time I used it. I’ve never replaced the bellows on a Volvo Penta. Is this regular maintenance?
I replaced the water impeller before putting it in storage last time I used it. I’ve never replaced the bellows on a Volvo Penta. Is this regular maintenance?
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: 3 years in storage.....and a tow
.plaborde wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:44 am Dear AsLan7
I replaced the water impeller before putting it in storage last time I used it. I’ve never replaced the bellows on a Volvo Penta. Is this regular maintenance?
Impeller may be ok but it is easy insurance to replace given the mess it can create within your cooling system if it has deteriorated over 3 years. They just don't make rubber like they used to.
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests
