Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Cobalt232
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:23 pm
Contact:

Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by Cobalt232 »

Hi everyone I’m new to both this form and cobalt. I picked up a 2001 232 cobalt off Kijiji, It’s a bit of a mess, I don’t have any pics to share at the moment. I took it to my mechanic to see if he can get it running right Before I get to far into it. I happed to find this form by chance I could use any reference pics of what the engine bay should look like. It’s missing lots of things, no blower, no lifter so any pics and dimensions of the brackets the power lifter mounts to would be great I can make them no problem. Also what stroke and strength the lifter is. Etc. Not much works on it at the moment. Hoping to give it some life. And lots of cut wires,... so should be a fun time....
Oh ya a tree fell on it lol destroyed the windshield, I have the windshield frame in a usable state and put plexi in it for the time being. Being in Canada, finding parts for it isn’t easy, frankly can’t find them. So I will most likely fabricate what I need. Thanks in advance for any info and or help. I will post some pics when I get it back from the repair shop.
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by Big Block Power »

Welcome that sounds like a project. A big project. Hopefully it was free. Oh my. There are custom windshield companies in Florida. Not cheap but it can be done. If the frame is good maybe Taylor Made can get you the glass?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 5377
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by Ytmsn »

Welcome from Oklahoma. That sounds like a chore. Cobalt doesn't support any parts for a boat longer than 7 years from the date of manufacturer.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Cobalt232
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by Cobalt232 »

Thanks for the info, the boat has been cleaned up and some upholstery has been repaired. Cobalts are tough boats the tree didn’t hurt the actual boat just windshield and upholstery. So when I post pics of it it’s looking not to bad now compared to what it did. I have spent some time thinking about the glass I can get the straight pieces here in town. I can make templates and take them to the window place Here and they can have them made and tempered. Just the curved pieces I need the place you told me about.
But before I get to excited I need the engine the run properly. The computer showed it had only 230 hours on it. So I think when I’m done it’ll be a decent boat.
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by AsLan7 »

.
Hey C232. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

That sounds like a pretty rough 232 but glad to see you’re bringing her off of life support. It is tough sourcing parts for Cobalts more than Seven years old.

Looking forward to your before and after pics.

Again welcome aboard mate!

.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by Big Block Power »

Yes you may. The 232 is a good boat. What is the engine doing and what engine is in it?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by cmattj »

Yes welcome from California. Great project but obviously has some end game. Merc or Volvo 496?
We take any and all pics!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
Cobalt232
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by Cobalt232 »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:02 pm Yes you may. The 232 is a good boat. What is the engine doing and what engine is in it?
Yes beings on the Georgian Bay 23’ seems to be just right for the waves, almost always wavy here. The engine is 454 efi. I think it’s running on 6 cylinders hard to tell exactly, has no power under load. Surges while idling, better after I cleaned out the check ball at the tank, but still surging. Replaced fuel/water separator. Pumped some gas from the bottom of the tank, looked good. It’s back firing. So I took it in to see what the mechanic says. There are so many things it could be. Basically runs like garbage.
Cobalt232
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by Cobalt232 »

cmattj wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:54 pm Yes welcome from California. Great project but obviously has some end game. Merc or Volvo 496?
We take any and all pics!
Yes the boat is solid cleaned up nice so far. Stringers,transom floor is good. No bubbles , wavy areas or hollow sounding spots under the boat. Has merc 7.4 efi. It will be a nice boat when I’m done with it. It’s big enough we can go across the Georgian Bay to Tobermory, up to Killarney, travel around the 30,000 islands.
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by cmattj »

Cobalt232 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:20 pm
cmattj wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:54 pm Yes welcome from California. Great project but obviously has some end game. Merc or Volvo 496?
We take any and all pics!
Yes the boat is solid cleaned up nice so far. Stringers,transom floor is good. No bubbles , wavy areas or hollow sounding spots under the boat. Has merc 7.4 efi. It will be a nice boat when I’m done with it. It’s big enough we can go across the Georgian Bay to Tobermory, up to Killarney, travel around the 30,000 islands.
Excellent 👍🏼. We definitely need a thread on those travels. Seen amazing pics!
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
Cobalt232
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by Cobalt232 »

0D55AC30-C50F-49B3-B5F8-E088232F4FC5.png
I’m looking at this to lift the engine hatch, as all of it is missing including the brackets. Not sure if it has enough power at 400 lbs. Or should I be going to 1000 lbs lift with 12” stroke?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cobalt232
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by Cobalt232 »

CD7A7795-E302-460F-B6A0-8E2AEC3F1B59.png
I got this pic from another thread if someone has these brackets in their boat for an actuator. I could sure use the dimensions for the bottom and top so I can fabricat some for my boat. Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cobalt232
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by Cobalt232 »

A couple of pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cobalt232
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:23 pm
Contact:

Re: Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by Cobalt232 »

You know it’s cold when you need a snow suit to boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Just got my first cobalt. 2001 232

Post by AsLan7 »

Great pics!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Semrush [Bot] and 43 guests