Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
I have attached my bill for this Spring. I am not complaining... I was just a little shocked. I have always trusted the dude who works on my rig, and I know there were a couple things done this year that won't be done every year (Like the impeller was done - I saw it after the fact and it was definitely time). He's the kind of guy who doesn't want me to be stuck on the water, so if it needs attention, he does it. I just haven't gotten a bill this large from him before. Before we bought the boat, the seller too it to this fella to have the water pump was done, it was aslo tuned up and de-carbed, etc etc. He says I should start a rotation for the future where next Spring they service the lower unit, and then the next Spring they do a full tune up, and then start all over again the follow Spring with the water pump. Just wondering how it looks to you in terms of pricing and needed maintenance.
Then there is a question I have about stowing the Bimini when the top is down. Right now, it just lays on the back cushion. I was told not to do that because it'll ruin my cushions. He said Cobalt makes something for the Bimini to rest on, instead of the back cushion. He also said you can tow with it like that. Any idea what that's called, looks like and where I can get one/some??? They couldn't think of the name for it.
Then there is a question I have about stowing the Bimini when the top is down. Right now, it just lays on the back cushion. I was told not to do that because it'll ruin my cushions. He said Cobalt makes something for the Bimini to rest on, instead of the back cushion. He also said you can tow with it like that. Any idea what that's called, looks like and where I can get one/some??? They couldn't think of the name for it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
Sorry but a $100.00 for a oil change. Then $150.00 to reconnect everything they disconnected in the winter. Crazy. My summerize is turn the key and go. They don't leave anything disconnected. Maybe the battery only. I tell them not to though. And I change the fuel filter on 5 minutes before starting it. They changed 3 diff fuel filters with 3 diff charges. So I'll keep my opinions to myself.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
So maybe I'll tell him to winterize things, and then not disconnect anything (I have that battery shut off so really shouldn't have to disconnect the batteries). I store it in my garage over the winter. It's not heated, but it's connected to the house. I wonder if it's time to put heat out there
???
I am feeling a little icky about my guy, here.
I am feeling a little icky about my guy, here.
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
I added heat but my garage stays 40 anyways. I don't disconnect I hate resetting every thing. I don't like to say places are over charging but. I felt violated from here.Homeskillet wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:26 pm So maybe I'll tell him to winterize things, and then not disconnect anything (I have that battery shut off so really shouldn't have to disconnect the batteries). I store it in my garage over the winter. It's not heated, but it's connected to the house. I wonder if it's time to put heat out there???
I am feeling a little icky about my guy, here.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Re: Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
That’s more of a winterize bill if you want to view it another way?
As impellers/ oils / and filters can add up. Plus Mercury has additional labor for Impellers/ fuel and outdrive.
Depending on your hours you may skip the impeller, but if you shop other facilities it may be in the ball park.
Hey the greased the trailer bearings
!
As impellers/ oils / and filters can add up. Plus Mercury has additional labor for Impellers/ fuel and outdrive.
Depending on your hours you may skip the impeller, but if you shop other facilities it may be in the ball park.
Hey the greased the trailer bearings
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
Right pumped them up for a 100 bucks. Opps sorry.cmattj wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:19 pm That’s more of a winterize bill if you want to view it another way?
As impellers/ oils / and filters can add up. Plus Mercury has additional labor for Impellers/ fuel and outdrive.
Depending on your hours you may skip the impeller, but if you shop other facilities it may be in the ball park.
Hey the greased the trailer bearings!
I get the merc impeller I didn't question that one.
I don't disagree too often with you.this time I will. But what did he do to winterize it and how much was that bill. I don't like to get into a charge argument because it's my business too. But I'm not a fan of a bunch of this one.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Re: Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
Did you figure the “No written.. is a recreation industry estimation “?Big Block Power wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:38 pmRight pumped them up for a 100 bucks. Opps sorry.cmattj wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:19 pm That’s more of a winterize bill if you want to view it another way?
As impellers/ oils / and filters can add up. Plus Mercury has additional labor for Impellers/ fuel and outdrive.
Depending on your hours you may skip the impeller, but if you shop other facilities it may be in the ball park.
Hey the greased the trailer bearings!
I get the merc impeller I didn't question that one.
I don't disagree too often with you.this time I will. But what did he do to winterize it and how much was that bill. I don't like to get into a charge argument because it's my business too. But I'm not a fan of a bunch of this one.
Haaaa. See starts to make sence now. It’s a different world.$$$
Yes I’m with you as that’s unusual add ons.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
I'm just saying at FarCon marine that bill wouldn't look like thatcmattj wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:45 pmDid you figure the “No written.. is a recreation industry estimation “?Big Block Power wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:38 pmRight pumped them up for a 100 bucks. Opps sorry.cmattj wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:19 pm That’s more of a winterize bill if you want to view it another way?
As impellers/ oils / and filters can add up. Plus Mercury has additional labor for Impellers/ fuel and outdrive.
Depending on your hours you may skip the impeller, but if you shop other facilities it may be in the ball park.
Hey the greased the trailer bearings!
I get the merc impeller I didn't question that one.
I don't disagree too often with you.this time I will. But what did he do to winterize it and how much was that bill. I don't like to get into a charge argument because it's my business too. But I'm not a fan of a bunch of this one.
Haaaa. See starts to make sence now. It’s a different world.$$$
Yes I’m with you as that’s unusual add ons.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
sailor55330
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 1268
- Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
- Contact:
Re: Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
I can only compare to what I paid at a dealer. The $100 inspection and wheel bearing grease plus battery hook up is an interesting line item. I agree with everyone else...the rest of the list seems to be more of a winterization process. What I am about to say is not judgement as it may be the fair price in your area, but a little recon might go a long way next season.
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
Here is what was done last Fall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
After seeing that bill I'm glad I do all of that maintenance myself. Well, except for the impeller change. I had the marina do that as the boat was already in for a repair.
On the winterization, I'm confused on the Antifreeze. Only 1 gallon? My system takes about 3-4 gallons to fill and I run through all 5 gallons when I winterize just to be safe.
On the winterization, I'm confused on the Antifreeze. Only 1 gallon? My system takes about 3-4 gallons to fill and I run through all 5 gallons when I winterize just to be safe.
2010 Cobalt 232 8.1Gi
Re: Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
Their are certain items that you might decide to take on yourself in the future. For example the oil and gear line change. Very easy items to do yourself in an hour and a half. Gear pump $10 1x buy. Oil pump $100 or less 1x buy then just parts go forward. Just depends if you have the time and don’t mind a little elbow grease. Not for everyone and I pass no judgement. Just putting it out there
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
Honestly, I don't mind doing some of the maintenance. But I'm that sort of goof where if I do something wrong, and have a catastrophic failure because of my actions (or lack of actions) I can't ever stop kicking myself for that - because then I pay tons to get it fixed, and then for the future I have them do it anyway lol!!
There's that AND I have a lawncare biz that I run on the side, in addition to my full time employment elsewhere. The biz is nothing huge but it's good income and a great job for my college bound son. By the time Fall rolls around, with those super short, cold days, I don't have time to use the bathroom, let along winterize the boat. But, I may need to find time at the current prices I'm paying.
There's that AND I have a lawncare biz that I run on the side, in addition to my full time employment elsewhere. The biz is nothing huge but it's good income and a great job for my college bound son. By the time Fall rolls around, with those super short, cold days, I don't have time to use the bathroom, let along winterize the boat. But, I may need to find time at the current prices I'm paying.
-
sailor55330
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 1268
- Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
- Contact:
Re: Summarize Bill... AND a question about my bimini
To me, the winterization bill doesn't seem out of line. The 1 gallon of Antifreeze seems a little low. I think winterization here is $175 on average.
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests
