Increasing Transom Speaker Volume?

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Post Reply
trs23
Commander
Commander
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:31 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Increasing Transom Speaker Volume?

Post by trs23 »

HI there

Does anyone have the premium stereo option with Transom speakers? Can you adjust the volume of the transom speakers independently from the cockpit volume? On my old boat I installed an aftermarket fusion headunit with two zones allowing me raise the swim platform speakers independently. On the R30 I have a transom switch near the motor box switch to turn them on and off, but it seems to be all one zone (the rockford has two zones, but zone 2 volume doesn't do anything) and fade front to back doesn't do anything either.
User avatar
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 am
Location: Branson, MO
Contact:

Re: Increasing Transom Speaker Volume?

Post by tgrace98 »

On my 19 I can control the volume per zone. I have 3 one for the bow speakers, one for the cockpit speakers, then one for the transom and I can either control volume for all or each zone independently. Which I control from the RF controller at either the helm or on the transom.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
trs23
Commander
Commander
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:31 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Increasing Transom Speaker Volume?

Post by trs23 »

Very nice, that is what I was expecting as well. I'll have a look this weekend at the way they wired the system.
trs23
Commander
Commander
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:31 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Increasing Transom Speaker Volume?

Post by trs23 »

Figured it out. My entire interior / cockpit is "front" and the transom speakers are "rear". I would have preferred that they wire it like yours with two zones, but that would have required a 6 channel amp instead of 4 channel. I may upgrade the amplifier some day as this system is pretty underpowered.
User avatar
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 am
Location: Branson, MO
Contact:

Re: Increasing Transom Speaker Volume?

Post by tgrace98 »

trs23 wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:34 pm Figured it out. My entire interior / cockpit is "front" and the transom speakers are "rear". I would have preferred that they wire it like yours with two zones, but that would have required a 6 channel amp instead of 4 channel. I may upgrade the amplifier some day as this system is pretty underpowered.
On my 19 all of my speakers are powered by an 8 channel amp.

I think the premium sound on my 19 is all I will ever need
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Increasing Transom Speaker Volume?

Post by BobRae99 »

My 2019 R3 with premium sound shows 3 zones, which I assume are transom (rear), cockpit (center) and bow (front). I haven't played with this though to see what each zone actually controls.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain
Posts: 481
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 7:19 am
Location: Tennessee
Contact:

Re: Increasing Transom Speaker Volume?

Post by Norris_Boating »

On my R7, if you press and hold the volume button it shows zone volume, press and hold again to Change zones. Adjust desired zone.
Press and hold menu button to go to settings, go to audio setting and scroll down to the zone offset and make sure it is set to on.
That zone should hold the difference in zone volume as you adjust the system up and down
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
trs23
Commander
Commander
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:31 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Increasing Transom Speaker Volume?

Post by trs23 »

Yep read the manual and familiar with all the zones. I went behind the stereo in the head and on my 2017 R30 they didn’t connect zone 2. They just used a single 4 Chanel amp, two channels are for all the speakers in the boat and then bridged the other two channels for the sub. They used a second two channel amp for the transom hooked to the rear outputs of the stereo.

Looks like they made improvements to the premium stereo package in 2019 compared to 2017
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Increasing Transom Speaker Volume?

Post by Big Block Power »

I think cobalt hired the Stereo engineer from Bayliner years ago and still employees him.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2023
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Increasing Transom Speaker Volume?

Post by Driller »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:06 am I think cobalt hired the Stereo engineer from Bayliner years ago and still employees him.
He was on the payroll at least as early as 2011. The speaker wiring in my 242 was screwy also.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Increasing Transom Speaker Volume?

Post by Big Block Power »

Driller wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:56 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:06 am I think cobalt hired the Stereo engineer from Bayliner years ago and still employees him.
He was on the payroll at least as early as 2011. The speaker wiring in my 242 was screwy also.
Oh he was there on 2003 and still there in 2019. Man boaters love stereo's they need to know that. Do it right. They rather spend 5k on a Stereo and get a 240 to power it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2730
Joined: Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:19 am
Location: Branson, MO
Contact:

Re: Increasing Transom Speaker Volume?

Post by tgrace98 »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:07 pm
Driller wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:56 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:06 am I think cobalt hired the Stereo engineer from Bayliner years ago and still employees him.
He was on the payroll at least as early as 2011. The speaker wiring in my 242 was screwy also.
Oh he was there on 2003 and still there in 2019. Man boaters love stereo's they need to know that. Do it right. They rather spend 5k on a Stereo and get a 240 to power it.
I think they are finally getting there. Maybe Malibu came in and said what are you doing? None of my speakers are bridged together.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Increasing Transom Speaker Volume?

Post by Big Block Power »

tgrace98 wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:29 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:07 pm
Driller wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:56 pm

He was on the payroll at least as early as 2011. The speaker wiring in my 242 was screwy also.
Oh he was there on 2003 and still there in 2019. Man boaters love stereo's they need to know that. Do it right. They rather spend 5k on a Stereo and get a 240 to power it.
I think they are finally getting there. Maybe Malibu came in and said what are you doing? None of my speakers are bridged together.
Yes they are getting better. I wonder if wet sounds or jl have issues like this though? I don't know much about RF. I liked what yours looked like but. You all seem to have some kind of issue with it. Hopefully this little software fixes that.
Yes I think malibu helped in 2019 in this area but still need some wiring help.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests