R3 chartplotter install

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
User avatar
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2023
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: R3 chartplotter install

Post by Driller »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:01 pm I was thinking the only way they tracked is you had to to it on another memory card. Kind of a pain from what I heard. Go7
Mine will track with or without a memory card. SIMRAD GO7.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: R3 chartplotter install

Post by Big Block Power »

Driller wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:46 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:01 pm I was thinking the only way they tracked is you had to to it on another memory card. Kind of a pain from what I heard. Go7
Mine will track with or without a memory card. SIMRAD GO7.
That answers that. Thanks driller. I think because of the price we look at the go7 more. I know I was.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Contact:

Re: R3 chartplotter install

Post by sailor55330 »

So I got the go7 today. Spent about 2 hours trying to figure the best way to mount with minimal dash cutting and decided I’m returning the product. It’s not going to fit without major modification and I don’t want to cut that much dash. I was prepared to trim but not this much. I was quite surprised at the size of the back of the unit. Even though I printed the template before i ordered the template that came with the unit itself was much different. Probably 30% larger. The problem is that the dash on the R3 is not flat and has several complex concave curves that will keep the unit from mounting flat. No matter what I tried it was going to leave a significant gap (1/2-3/4”) on the sides. My only option would be a ram mount and after looking at locations it’s just not what I want

So no chartplotter for me. The boating gods win again
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: R3 chartplotter install

Post by BobRae99 »

sailor55330 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:58 pm So I got the go7 today. Spent about 2 hours trying to figure the best way to mount with minimal dash cutting and decided I’m returning the product. It’s not going to fit without major modification and I don’t want to cut that much dash. I was prepared to trim but not this much. I was quite surprised at the size of the back of the unit. Even though I printed the template before i ordered the template that came with the unit itself was much different. Probably 30% larger. The problem is that the dash on the R3 is not flat and has several complex concave curves that will keep the unit from mounting flat. No matter what I tried it was going to leave a significant gap (1/2-3/4”) on the sides. My only option would be a ram mount and after looking at locations it’s just not what I want

So no chartplotter for me. The boating gods win again
Are you sure you don’t want to at least get a parts cost for my solution above? It would make a great upgrade project.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1268
Joined: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:37 pm
Contact:

Re: R3 chartplotter install

Post by sailor55330 »

BobRae99 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:28 pm
sailor55330 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:58 pm So I got the go7 today. Spent about 2 hours trying to figure the best way to mount with minimal dash cutting and decided I’m returning the product. It’s not going to fit without major modification and I don’t want to cut that much dash. I was prepared to trim but not this much. I was quite surprised at the size of the back of the unit. Even though I printed the template before i ordered the template that came with the unit itself was much different. Probably 30% larger. The problem is that the dash on the R3 is not flat and has several complex concave curves that will keep the unit from mounting flat. No matter what I tried it was going to leave a significant gap (1/2-3/4”) on the sides. My only option would be a ram mount and after looking at locations it’s just not what I want

So no chartplotter for me. The boating gods win again
Are you sure you don’t want to at least get a parts cost for my solution above? It would make a great upgrade project.
I did 2 years ago. Almost $4k
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: R3 chartplotter install

Post by BobRae99 »

sailor55330 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:15 am
BobRae99 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:28 pm
sailor55330 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:58 pm So I got the go7 today. Spent about 2 hours trying to figure the best way to mount with minimal dash cutting and decided I’m returning the product. It’s not going to fit without major modification and I don’t want to cut that much dash. I was prepared to trim but not this much. I was quite surprised at the size of the back of the unit. Even though I printed the template before i ordered the template that came with the unit itself was much different. Probably 30% larger. The problem is that the dash on the R3 is not flat and has several complex concave curves that will keep the unit from mounting flat. No matter what I tried it was going to leave a significant gap (1/2-3/4”) on the sides. My only option would be a ram mount and after looking at locations it’s just not what I want

So no chartplotter for me. The boating gods win again
Are you sure you don’t want to at least get a parts cost for my solution above? It would make a great upgrade project.
I did 2 years ago. Almost $4k
Ouch. Can you make any case for increased resale value? So compare a 2014 boat with (without single glass) a 2015 (with single glass)? It would be a cool project.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: R3 chartplotter install

Post by Big Block Power »

BobRae99 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:42 am
sailor55330 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:15 am
BobRae99 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:28 pm

Are you sure you don’t want to at least get a parts cost for my solution above? It would make a great upgrade project.
I did 2 years ago. Almost $4k
Ouch. Can you make any case for increased resale value? So compare a 2014 boat with (without single glass) a 2015 (with single glass)? It would be a cool project.
No way will I pay 4k more for it. Lol
Sailor Katie sent me a lead on a 2016 r3 with a 380 in it. Same color as yours. In Cali. Still over my cheap arse budget but it would be nice.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 47 guests