Instrument Panel Failure, 2012 Cobalt 210
Instrument Panel Failure, 2012 Cobalt 210
Hello all--new user here...
I was running near sunset and after putting up the anchor light and turning on the nav lights, they went out. I cycled the ignition into Accessory mode and they came back on, but then went out later. Cycling the Nav light switch to Docking lights indicated power, but no power indication to nav lights. Instrument panel gauges (Tach, Fuel, Voltage, Oil, Trim) now frozen. "Accessory" button works, but other buttons (blower, horn, etc) inop. And now I have no power indication to the Docking lights when cycling the Nav/Docking light switch.
Radio works as does starter and bilge pump. Took helm access panel off and checked continuity on ignition switch--seem OK. Don't see any obvious loose wires. Don't think it's a fuse issue but none are popped
Any ideas why system would degrade this way? Where can I find a good wiring diagram for a 2012 Cobalt 210?
Thanks!
mtm
I was running near sunset and after putting up the anchor light and turning on the nav lights, they went out. I cycled the ignition into Accessory mode and they came back on, but then went out later. Cycling the Nav light switch to Docking lights indicated power, but no power indication to nav lights. Instrument panel gauges (Tach, Fuel, Voltage, Oil, Trim) now frozen. "Accessory" button works, but other buttons (blower, horn, etc) inop. And now I have no power indication to the Docking lights when cycling the Nav/Docking light switch.
Radio works as does starter and bilge pump. Took helm access panel off and checked continuity on ignition switch--seem OK. Don't see any obvious loose wires. Don't think it's a fuse issue but none are popped
Any ideas why system would degrade this way? Where can I find a good wiring diagram for a 2012 Cobalt 210?
Thanks!
mtm
- jhnmdahl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2440
- Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
- Location: Twin Cities, MN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
- Contact:
Re: Instrument Panel Failure, 2012 Cobalt 210
Download the manual at https://cobaltboats.com/art/manuals/2012_210_OM.pdf, and check out the wiring harness on page 4-2, or see below. Not quite a detailed wiring diagram, but enough to tell you what plugs are where and what they run to.
I wonder if it's a faulty ignition switch or loose ground wire someplace. Sounds like one of those things that might be hard to diagnose without opening up the panel behind the front seat and wiggling a few wires to see what works. Anybody else have an idea?
.
I wonder if it's a faulty ignition switch or loose ground wire someplace. Sounds like one of those things that might be hard to diagnose without opening up the panel behind the front seat and wiggling a few wires to see what works. Anybody else have an idea?
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Instrument Panel Failure, 2012 Cobalt 210
Before you start tearing into it check the main ground on the bus bar in the bilge. They tend to corrode and low voltage stuff suffers first.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Re: Instrument Panel Failure, 2012 Cobalt 210
jhnmdahljhnmdahl wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:58 am Download the manual at https://cobaltboats.com/art/manuals/2012_210_OM.pdf, and check out the wiring harness on page 4-2, or see below. Not quite a detailed wiring diagram, but enough to tell you what plugs are where and what they run to.
I wonder if it's a faulty ignition switch or loose ground wire someplace. Sounds like one of those things that might be hard to diagnose without opening up the panel behind the front seat and wiggling a few wires to see what works. Anybody else have an idea?
.
210wiring.jpg
Thanks for the link. I have that manual but as you note it's not detailed enough to help. I've checked the ignition switch which seems to be working properly (good continuity); but I'm not getting power to the instrument panel except for 1) Bilge Pump (hot lead to battery) 2) radio and 3) the "Accessory" button on the right side. The Accessory button is not connected to anything. The Accessory button seems to share a common ground lead with the adjacent "Horn" and "Docking" light buttons (see p. 3-21 in the manual), which makes me suspect of the panel power supply; but I can't sort through the rat maze of wiring bundles in the cramped spaces behind the helm panel to figure how or if the "Accessory" button gets power from a separate routing compared to the other instrument gauges and switches.
mtmusaf
Re: Instrument Panel Failure, 2012 Cobalt 210
akorcovelosakorcovelos wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:29 pm Before you start tearing into it check the main ground on the bus bar in the bilge. They tend to corrode and low voltage stuff suffers first.
Thanks for the suggestion on the bilge ground--I checked it. No looses wires noted and I don't see any significant corrosion.
Kinda stumped--the space behind the panel is very hard to access. I contorted myself in there for about ten minutes to check as much as I could; but then I had to get out; and then it took me another ten minutes to figure out how to exit the cubby hole I had crammed myself into--reminded me of going through POW survivor training
mtmusaf
- jhnmdahl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2440
- Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
- Location: Twin Cities, MN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
- Contact:
Re: Instrument Panel Failure, 2012 Cobalt 210
My, you unscrewed the carpeted panel after pivoting up the front seat in front of the dash? That’s still not stellar access, but I’ve gone in the rats nest of wires in my (edit- I have a 210) that way a couple times.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Re: Instrument Panel Failure, 2012 Cobalt 210
John, pics of your new boat or it never happenedjhnmdahl wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:04 pm My, you unscrewed the carpeted panel after pivoting up the front seat in front of the dash? That’s still not stellar access, but I’ve gone in the rats nest of wires in my 220 that way a couple times.
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Instrument Panel Failure, 2012 Cobalt 210
Yea I can't believe he's been holding out and came to the dark side!!ajcampen wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:48 pmJohn, pics of your new boat or it never happenedjhnmdahl wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 5:04 pm My, you unscrewed the carpeted panel after pivoting up the front seat in front of the dash? That’s still not stellar access, but I’ve gone in the rats nest of wires in my 220 that way a couple times.
![]()
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Instrument Panel Failure, 2012 Cobalt 210
I also have a buss bar that is positive behind my access panel on the helm off to the side. It was hard to see but it's there on my 210


Last edited by Big Block Power on Thu May 30, 2019 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
- jhnmdahl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2440
- Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
- Location: Twin Cities, MN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
- Contact:
Re: Instrument Panel Failure, 2012 Cobalt 210
Ooh, typo. My 210 is the right boat for the three of us, and unlikely to be replaced anytime soon.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Re: Instrument Panel Failure, 2012 Cobalt 210
I see a common ground (yellow wires) panel off to the starboard side behind the helm access panel; but not a positive buss bar---where is that?Big Block Power wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:58 pm I also have a buss bar that is positive behind my access panel on the helm off to the side. It was hard to see but it's there on my 210![]()
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Instrument Panel Failure, 2012 Cobalt 210
I don't have a 210. So hard to say. But I found mine by accident where you are looking.mtmusaf wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:16 pmI see a common ground (yellow wires) panel off to the starboard side behind the helm access panel; but not a positive buss bar---where is that?Big Block Power wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:58 pm I also have a buss bar that is positive behind my access panel on the helm off to the side. It was hard to see but it's there on my 210![]()
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
- AsLan7
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 11526
- Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
- Location: Erie PA
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 6 times
- Contact:
Re: Instrument Panel Failure, 2012 Cobalt 210
.mtmusaf wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:22 pmakorcovelosakorcovelos wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 12:29 pm Before you start tearing into it check the main ground on the bus bar in the bilge. They tend to corrode and low voltage stuff suffers first.
Thanks for the suggestion on the bilge ground--I checked it. No looses wires noted and I don't see any significant corrosion.
Kinda stumped--the space behind the panel is very hard to access. I contorted myself in there for about ten minutes to check as much as I could; but then I had to get out; and then it took me another ten minutes to figure out how to exit the cubby hole I had crammed myself into--reminded me of going through POW survivor training
mtmusaf
Hey mtm air force
Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!
Your wiring issue is tough to diagnose from afar. It does sound like a common ground issue with all those items being affected at the same time.
Hope you can trace it down.
Post pics if you get a chance.
Btw, I can definitely relate to the POW pretzel comment.
...and welcome aboard mate.
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food
(CChat moderator)
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests
