Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
I'm pulling the Lowrance HDS7 out of my old boat and installing it in the 252. I love the unit and it has all my navigational routes, markers, and way points from the last 7 years of boating stored on it.
Problem is, there doesn't seem to be a great spot at the helm to mount it where it won't be covering factory gauges or look awful...
Anyone mount a 7-10" chart plotter on a 252 dash that looks decent, and is in a functional position?
You can see the unit in this pic, mounted in my other boat: This is what I have to work with: This is the only spot I can come up with. It will cover the factory temp and depth gauges, which is fine because the Lowrance does both, but it would also cover the toggle switches for the running lights and such. All I can think of is to move the switches somewhere else. Are the dash panels hard to remove? I wouldn't mind getting them hydro dipped wood grain anyway. I should mention, I'm no novice in the shop, I've built race cars, muscle cars, motorcycles, rebuild outboards, etc. so I'm not afraid of a challenge.
Problem is, there doesn't seem to be a great spot at the helm to mount it where it won't be covering factory gauges or look awful...
Anyone mount a 7-10" chart plotter on a 252 dash that looks decent, and is in a functional position?
You can see the unit in this pic, mounted in my other boat: This is what I have to work with: This is the only spot I can come up with. It will cover the factory temp and depth gauges, which is fine because the Lowrance does both, but it would also cover the toggle switches for the running lights and such. All I can think of is to move the switches somewhere else. Are the dash panels hard to remove? I wouldn't mind getting them hydro dipped wood grain anyway. I should mention, I'm no novice in the shop, I've built race cars, muscle cars, motorcycles, rebuild outboards, etc. so I'm not afraid of a challenge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Re: Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
I'd move it up. Mount it on the shelf above the switches to the side of your other gages right there in the curve.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
You mean here:
If it fits that would certainly be better than what I was planning. I'll have to mock it up and see if it clears the windshield.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Re: Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
Completely different dash layout but I mounted my simrad here and I love it. Easy to read while cruising. From the picture it looks like it is blocking some gauges. But when at the steering wheel it’s not.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
That looks very functional, I like it. I could probably do the same, looks like it would still clear the far left gauge. Hardest part will be drilling holes in the pristine dash pad, which is why I was considering the lower dash panel. Certainly wouldn't be as easy to read down there though...
I'm winterizing my other boat tomorrow, and I'll pull the Lowrance so I can mock up a couple options and see what fits best. I'm guessing your location will be the most functional, and look good if I go that way, but I'll cry a little inside when I drill the first hole. Wouldn't be so bad other than it's an older unit, and if I upgrade eventually I'll have to hope the new mounting bracket at least covers the old mounting holes I drill.
I'm winterizing my other boat tomorrow, and I'll pull the Lowrance so I can mock up a couple options and see what fits best. I'm guessing your location will be the most functional, and look good if I go that way, but I'll cry a little inside when I drill the first hole. Wouldn't be so bad other than it's an older unit, and if I upgrade eventually I'll have to hope the new mounting bracket at least covers the old mounting holes I drill.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Re: Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
This was a for sure Measure 15 times drill once approach. I had kicked around a few locations. I thought about going the route you did but after talking with Driller he mounted his there and said it was hard to see while driving. I had considered a Ram mount like what YT did but he said he didn't like his location either. So I sat there for a better part of a day just moving it around trying to find the right spot. I ended up there and I love the location. I use the depth finder of the Simrad and the forward scan a lot when I am trying to find a place to anchor. Never once have I wished it was somewhere else.akorcovelos wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:32 pm That looks very functional, I like it. I could probably do the same, looks like it would still clear the far left gauge. Hardest part will be drilling holes in the pristine dash pad, which is why I was considering the lower dash panel. Certainly wouldn't be as easy to read down there though...
I'm winterizing my other boat tomorrow, and I'll pull the Lowrance so I can mock up a couple options and see what fits best. I'm guessing your location will be the most functional, and look good if I go that way, but I'll cry a little inside when I drill the first hole. Wouldn't be so bad other than it's an older unit, and if I upgrade eventually I'll have to hope the new mounting bracket at least covers the old mounting holes I drill.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
Wow, this is what I was hoping for! Ram mount is exactly what I need, thanks!
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-111U

This should let me mount to the dash panel but have it high enough to be easily read, can't believe I never saw these before.
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-111U

This should let me mount to the dash panel but have it high enough to be easily read, can't believe I never saw these before.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Re: Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
If you use that on a dash panel you'll want to put a backing plate in. Otherwise with the weight and leverage I'd be worried about cracking or breaking the panel.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
Probably a good idea. Looking to see tomorrow how hard it is to remove those panels. I'd like to get them hydrodipped. I'll fab a smal backing plate and epoxy it in place. Thanks.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
I think it's only 4 Alan head screws. T5555555000000 used some cool material to cover the panels. It's in his fix up thread.akorcovelos wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:57 pm Probably a good idea. Looking to see tomorrow how hard it is to remove those panels. I'd like to get them hydrodipped. I'll fab a smal backing plate and epoxy it in place. Thanks.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
Spent some time driveway boating yesterday and started playing with spots to mount my Lowrance. Came up with this:
It’s a little unconventional, but I kinda like it. It can be tilted to be visible both seated and standing as seen in the pics. I can get a nice bulkhead fitting to run the harness, and doesn’t kill the sleek look of the helm.
I’ll need to fabricate a shorter mount as the original pushes the screen out too far and interferes with steering, but the small brackets see on the pic put it at the perfect backset.
Thoughts?
It’s a little unconventional, but I kinda like it. It can be tilted to be visible both seated and standing as seen in the pics. I can get a nice bulkhead fitting to run the harness, and doesn’t kill the sleek look of the helm.
I’ll need to fabricate a shorter mount as the original pushes the screen out too far and interferes with steering, but the small brackets see on the pic put it at the perfect backset.
Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
-
slideruleracer
- Captain

- Posts: 475
- Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:28 am
- Location: New England
- Contact:
Re: Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
I made a mount for my 250 that moved it off to the side (like your previous boat). I'm very happy with where it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 250
502 Gxi
Order your Umbrella Adapters, no drill TigTech flagpole kits and seat repair kits from:
http://www.slideruleracing.com
502 Gxi
Order your Umbrella Adapters, no drill TigTech flagpole kits and seat repair kits from:
http://www.slideruleracing.com
- jhnmdahl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2440
- Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
- Location: Twin Cities, MN
- Has thanked: 3 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
- Contact:
Re: Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
Sliderule, nice metal work there! I'm handy enough with wood, but I don't think my router would round over the edges on a steel plate.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
-
slideruleracer
- Captain

- Posts: 475
- Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:28 am
- Location: New England
- Contact:
Re: Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
It's actually aluminum.... and you'd be surprised. You actually can run aluminum through most woodworking tools when they are equipped with carbide tipped tools... In fact, that's exactly how I added the fillet to the edges in that mounting plate.
2004 250
502 Gxi
Order your Umbrella Adapters, no drill TigTech flagpole kits and seat repair kits from:
http://www.slideruleracing.com
502 Gxi
Order your Umbrella Adapters, no drill TigTech flagpole kits and seat repair kits from:
http://www.slideruleracing.com
- akorcovelos
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2981
- Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:07 pm
- Location: Antioch, IL
- Contact:
Re: Need some ideas on where to mount Lowrance
Nice work Slide! I looked at putting it there on mine, but it did't fit too well and look a bit out of place. Being an older unit it's pretty deep in the Z axis. I'm mocking up a bracket to get the dimensions right, then I'll create a Solidworks file and have it 3D printed.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
‘Direct Deposit Too’
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 36 guests
