Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Homeskillet
Captain
Captain
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Homeskillet »

I actually have a bigger issue: bad RCA cord! So I have to remove that whole panel and swap it out. Not happy about that part at all. I used an old one I had in a box where u keep miscellaneous wires I'm not using. I'm gonna buy 2 new ones tomorrow and maybe tackle that after work tomorrow.

Speaker wires are labeled but it looks a bit sloppy with that masking tape. Maybe I'll "color" the last 2 inches of each, a different color
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Big Block Power »

That sucks. From the radio to the amp. I wouldn't worry about the wire colors or the tape. I would have ran the wires from the back side of that backing board and label the wires further back so you can't see the tape. Then just run a few inches of wire to the amp. Between the upper and bottom backing board. It cleans it up nice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Homeskillet »

Yours looks very nice BBP. I don't mind the look of mine tho. I looked at dozens of pix online and thought that looked decent enough.
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Big Block Power »

It's all good. That all is coming out soon. Then I'll be adding 2 Amps just like yours. So I'll have double the cables. I just don't want to see them all. Yours is tied up nicely and that works. Mr. Nauti and I are working through a few more of my wife stereo issues. I think we may have a fix now though.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Homeskillet »

I think once I swap the cord the rest will go smoothly (I had an issue with the set screws on the fuses too - but I fixed that issue...just took a couple trips to the hardware store). I can only work in that cramped area for so long lol. Not like I'll be launching next wknd anyway!!
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Big Block Power »

Right. I crawl inside of that compartment. Lol it's easier. Were the screws on the amp too weak. I won't be happy if they don't hold. Both of my amps are new. I am also using ferrels on every connection.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Homeskillet »

No. I'd say operator error lol. The set screws are M7's and I have SAE Allen wrenches, a d couldn't tighten them down enough. So I used a pliars to tighten em. Eventually bought new set screws and the correct wrench (funny how stuff goes together better using the right tools - duh). Then when I reconnected the "remote on" wire, it was the wrong one AGAIN!. So I had to pull all those panel screws out again (and I learned that my zip tie screws were a bit long and were also holding that panel in place lol). It was a mess but a little funny... I wasn't even drinking yet either!

I had to shut her down and make some blood Mary's and some steaks lol!

I'll get back at it tomorrow
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Homeskillet »

I'm thinking about using these and either a tie down strap or heavy duty rubber bungie cord to keep the sub box in place.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Keeper-Stai ... /204063301
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Homeskillet »

This one is completely done!
20190311_170952.jpg
I'll get the sub and its amp a little later tonight. Barring any snags (which of course I'll have lol) I could possibly finish up tonight :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by NautiGirl »

Looks good! Get the sub in tonight and be done.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by AsLan7 »

NautiGirl wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:22 pm Looks good! Get the sub in tonight and be done.
+1!!!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Homeskillet »

Sub is in and all is good. Sub amp got warm after about an hour of playing a variety of music at high volume lol. No fuses popped and it just kept rockin. Wetsounds amp was nice and cool.

Got most of the boat picked up and cleaned up, too

Still not set on exactly where that sub will sit, so I haven't tidied up those 2 speaker wires you see there, yet. Sounds super good at really high volumes. But even better dialed back (which is how it'll get used most of the time).

What a fun project this has been! I never could have done it with out the help provided by all you nice people. Any questions lmk.

At 200+ posts on this thread, I'm sure some would like to see this one come to a close lol!

Thanks again for your help and patience. :)
20190311_204641.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Big Block Power »

Congrats. Did you get good bass with it in that compartment. How big of a sub. Pictures? Lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Homeskillet »

Here ya go. The sub is a 10" MB Quart.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Homeskillet
Captain
Captain
Posts: 281
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade

Post by Homeskillet »

Looks like I'm ooing to keep the sub in that location. Next 2 things to do are 1) clean up that speaker wire and 2) do something with the finish of that box. Once that is done, I'll secure it in place and in done.
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 63 guests