Yea like John said.jhnmdahl wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:27 am Home skillet, he’s pretty close to right. There’s a switch on the amp marked “input mode” - make sure it’a Set to “2 ch” or 2 channel, and it will split the two input channels up to each of the three pairs of speakers. You can also provide four inputs or six inputs as the switch suggests - the manual describes how they work,
John
Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
So if I want to be able to fade front to back, should I do a second set of RCA's to channels 5&6, and put the back speakers there? Or do I just change the input switch to 6?
- NautiGirl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2849
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
- Location: Kentucky
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
How many outputs do you have on your head unit? Do you really need to fade front to back in a boat?Homeskillet wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:31 am So if I want to be able to fade front to back, should I do a second set of RCA's to channels 5&6, and put the back speakers there? Or do I just change the input switch to 6?
I would go simple run one set of RCAs to the amp put it in two channel input mode and be done. That's just me tho.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
- NautiGirl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2849
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
- Location: Kentucky
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
Not trying to change your mind. Fading six speakers front to back just gets tricky. Your head unit most likely has four outputs two Left and Right for the front and the same for the rear. Since you have six channels you could fade two of them between the other four. Can't think of a better way to word that, maybe an example will help.
Bow speakers on the front channels other 4 on the rear channels means you could fade the bow speakers down and the other four speakers up. Does that make sense?
I can walk you through wiring it that way, just will need some Y Connectors.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
In my case yes fading the bow speakers will be a plus. The only problem I will have is I was going to run the tower speakers off the frt Channel so that screws that Theory up. So still the wet sounds eq might be the way to go for myself. The wife can go up there such she does alot and not hear the stereo but she will feel it. Thump thump thump it goes. Lol
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
I would run as many RCA inputs as the head unit has to the amp. 2 channel, 4 channel or 6 channel. There is nothing tricky about it, easy peasy.
2018 r5
2003 220
2003 220
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
I just got off the phone with my friend. His wife is coming to town this week and is bringing the sub and amps. Just thinking out loud here:
I think I am just going to run all 6 speakers off the "front out" RCA's. Which as I understand it, I can do if I switch all of the Input Modes to "2"
I also think I am going to run the second amp off the "Rea Out" RCA's (wonder how that 2nd amp turns on??? Do I splice that blue wire and run it to both?)
I'll have to run fuses to each amp I would think.
I think I am just going to run all 6 speakers off the "front out" RCA's. Which as I understand it, I can do if I switch all of the Input Modes to "2"
I also think I am going to run the second amp off the "Rea Out" RCA's (wonder how that 2nd amp turns on??? Do I splice that blue wire and run it to both?)
I'll have to run fuses to each amp I would think.
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
Just finished running all of the speaker wire. Haven't run the 4 gauge cables yet. I had to order another set since I just decided to try out a sub too.
It all went super smooth until I got to the back speaker on the port side. I kept hitting a snag about midship. I eventually got past it and all is well with speaker wires. Hoping to get the amp cables back to the battery without too much trouble in a few days.
It all went super smooth until I got to the back speaker on the port side. I kept hitting a snag about midship. I eventually got past it and all is well with speaker wires. Hoping to get the amp cables back to the battery without too much trouble in a few days.
- NautiGirl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2849
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
- Location: Kentucky
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
Sounds like you got the RCA's figured out. Just make sure to set the crossover on the amp running the sub so that only low frequency is sent to the sub.Homeskillet wrote: Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:41 pm I just got off the phone with my friend. His wife is coming to town this week and is bringing the sub and amps. Just thinking out loud here:
I think I am just going to run all 6 speakers off the "front out" RCA's. Which as I understand it, I can do if I switch all of the Input Modes to "2"
I also think I am going to run the second amp off the "Rea Out" RCA's (wonder how that 2nd amp turns on??? Do I splice that blue wire and run it to both?)
I'll have to run fuses to each amp I would think.
You are correct you will just splice two amp turn on wires into the single wire from the head unit.
Yes you will want an inline fuse on each amp power wire.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
That's for asking all these questions Homey. I think a lot of us are learning from this thread, but are afraid to ask the questions ourselves. Thanks.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
"DIGGIN' IT"
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
Got the front left mounted. Had to drill all new holes but that's simple enough. Fun project! Appreciate the help from my new friends here 
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
It seems like jl uses there own hole pattern. Looking good. Glad we could save you some cash and bond with your boat. It must be nice to have heated storage.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
-
Homeskillet
- Captain

- Posts: 281
- Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:53 am
- Location: Wisconsin
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
It is nice! I got this bad boy for Xmas. Organized my whole work area over Xmas break and it was pretty comfortable! Takes about 5 min to take the chill out of the garage.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- NautiGirl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2849
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
- Location: Kentucky
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: Stereo - To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade
JL uses about 3 different bolt patterns depending on speaker size and grill option. The Classic Grill 6.5 MX series would have matched the holes already drilled for our old Kicker speakers exactly. The Sport Grill - which is what the wife picked - used 5 screws instead of 4 and were a totally different pattern. Thanks Dear.Big Block Power wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:41 pm It seems like jl uses there own hole pattern. Looking good. Glad we could save you some cash and bond with your boat. It must be nice to have heated storage.
The MX and M series also use different bolt hole diameters in the same size speaker.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests