Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
The wife and I are looking to relocate to Fort Lauderdale, and I'm trying to decide what to do with our A25. We absolutely love our A25 but not sure if it is the best move to begin using her in saltwater. Our boat does not have a saltwater package as it was purchased for freshwater lake boating, but we would continue to store the boat in dry storage and on the trailer so would be able to flush and maintain after every outing. For most "everyday" boating we would probably be in the intercostal areas but would love to take it out or even a weekend in the keys?. I know there are a few members here in saltwater and looking for your opinions. In the back of our minds we should probably sell now and purchase a boat better suited for ocean boating but as most members on here, not sure we can describe how we LOVE our Cobalt and would be very difficult to actually sell. Anyway advice or thoughts appreciated, and/or interest in a pristine A25 (if we go that route) 
‘11 A25
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
Re: Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
The Merc isn’t closed cooling, and that will be the biggest issue. Your obstacle is simple, can you get a good number for it now?
Resale will be killed if you run it in the salt.
Personally, if you are permanently moving, I’d sell it or trade it in.
Buy an outboard and your worries are far less.
Resale will be killed if you run it in the salt.
Personally, if you are permanently moving, I’d sell it or trade it in.
Buy an outboard and your worries are far less.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430
#FARCON Marine
Re: Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
I'd say that is pretty sound advice there T. If I lived somewhere that was all salt. I'd have a boat with 2 outboards.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
-
willyswagon
- Captain

- Posts: 208
- Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:25 am
- Location: Prince Edward Island (PE)
- Contact:
Re: Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
Absolutely SELL IT!
Start fresh with an engine built for salt water use.VP 380 is a great spot to start.
Plus update to the newest screens, guages and designs. It's a WIN WIN
Start fresh with an engine built for salt water use.VP 380 is a great spot to start.
Plus update to the newest screens, guages and designs. It's a WIN WIN
2014 26 SD
6.0L 380 Volvo
"STRAIT SHOTS"
6.0L 380 Volvo
"STRAIT SHOTS"
Re: Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
Yes this is pretty much the solution we came up with thinking about it more over the weekend. Its in immaculate condition now and I know we could get good use and maintain it properly, but will take a big hit on value used in saltwater. Should be able to get a good value selling now.Tuscany wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:32 am The Merc isn’t closed cooling, and that will be the biggest issue. Your obstacle is simple, can you get a good number for it now?
Resale will be killed if you run it in the salt.
Personally, if you are permanently moving, I’d sell it or trade it in.
Buy an outboard and your worries are far less.
‘11 A25
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
-
Norris_Boating
- Captain

- Posts: 481
- Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 7:19 am
- Location: Tennessee
- Contact:
Re: Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
Ditto on the lost value selling after saltwater use. Get a whaler.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
Trade in on this baby!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Re: Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
on the right track! Looking into these as we'd really like to stay with a Cobalt. Also considering the possibility of a cruiser like a used Sundancer 350
‘11 A25
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
Re: Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
if you are thinking about a cruiser then go with Formula!mtwbldr wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:41 amon the right track! Looking into these as we'd really like to stay with a Cobalt. Also considering the possibility of a cruiser like a used Sundancer 350
https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2011 ... %20listing
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Re: Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
Yes also on the short list as we begin narrowing down our search. Thanks for this link great looking Formula! Will be the closest to Cobalt quality for sure in a cruisertgrace98 wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:02 pmif you are thinking about a cruiser then go with Formula!mtwbldr wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:41 amon the right track! Looking into these as we'd really like to stay with a Cobalt. Also considering the possibility of a cruiser like a used Sundancer 350
https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2011 ... %20listing
‘11 A25
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
-
MnLakeBum
- Rear Admiral

- Posts: 835
- Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
- Location: Minnesota
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 2 times
- Contact:
Re: Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
We are buying a condo with a marina in Naples Florida and I now have to make the decision if I want to subject our R5 Surf to sitting in salt water for 6 months each year. It would stay in the water as a boat lift is not an option. The other option is shipping our Marker One pontoon that would be much easier to take care of in the salt water with its Verado 350 outboard. The downside is I can’t pull the Marker One so it would cost be about $3,500 each spring and fall to have it shipped back and forth from MN/FL. I’d really like to have the Cobalt down there for the winter but I will certainly be shortening its life.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
Re: Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
I would for sure take the marker one down there over the r5. Don’t have to worry about salt water corrosion and worrying about it sitting in the water for 6 months.MnLakeBum wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 am We are buying a condo with a marina in Naples Florida and I now have to make the decision if I want to subject our R5 Surf to sitting in salt water for 6 months each year. It would stay in the water as a boat lift is not an option. The other option is shipping our Marker One pontoon that would be much easier to take care of in the salt water with its Verado 350 outboard. The downside is I can’t pull the Marker One so it would cost be about $3,500 each spring and fall to have it shipped back and forth from MN/FL. I’d really like to have the Cobalt down there for the winter but I will certainly be shortening its life.
If you plan to leave the R5 in the water that long you would have to get the bottom painted. And I am sure you do not want to see your beautiful R5 surf with bottom paint on it.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
“Smooth Operator”
Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Re: Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
MT - happy for you to be moving to Florida. Hate to see a Texas leave the state but FL is a good one to go to. I would agree with the others on the saltwater. Better to sell or keep an use on the inland lakes in FL. They have quick a few nice ones. Then you can really enjoy the best of both words. If you do decide to help let me know and I will ask around since we are both in Houston.
2007 212 5.0 GXi DP Volvo Penta
Tubing, Skiing, and all around boating fun!
Texas Sun & Fun!
2016 Yamaha VX Cruiser
Tubing, Skiing, and all around boating fun!
Texas Sun & Fun!
2016 Yamaha VX Cruiser
-
MnLakeBum
- Rear Admiral

- Posts: 835
- Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:21 am
- Location: Minnesota
- Has thanked: 1 time
- Been thanked: 2 times
- Contact:
Re: Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
Your right, there is no way I want to paint the bottom of my R5. I’ve decided to ship the Marker One down there in the fall. Our good friends also have a condo in the same complex and they have agreed to split the transportation costs and the $750 annual fee for the boat slip with us. I’ll also save $1700 in winter storage fees by not having it stored in Minnesota. The Marker One is also more stable in 2-3 foot chop than the R5 and it’s obviously a great day boat for the inter-coastal.tgrace98 wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:02 amI would for sure take the marker one down there over the r5. Don’t have to worry about salt water corrosion and worrying about it sitting in the water for 6 months.MnLakeBum wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:08 am We are buying a condo with a marina in Naples Florida and I now have to make the decision if I want to subject our R5 Surf to sitting in salt water for 6 months each year. It would stay in the water as a boat lift is not an option. The other option is shipping our Marker One pontoon that would be much easier to take care of in the salt water with its Verado 350 outboard. The downside is I can’t pull the Marker One so it would cost be about $3,500 each spring and fall to have it shipped back and forth from MN/FL. I’d really like to have the Cobalt down there for the winter but I will certainly be shortening its life.
If you plan to leave the R5 in the water that long you would have to get the bottom painted. And I am sure you do not want to see your beautiful R5 surf with bottom paint on it.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
Re: Relocating to Florida with a Cobalt
Agree with the above and making good choice with shipping the Marker down vs the R5 down to FL
Our plans have changed and are a little up in the air for now regarding relocating so for now will be staying in TX and a bit in NYC. Thanks bobo, will keep you posted if we need to make a permanent move and you can get one of your friends in a cobalt but for the meantime hope to see you on the water in either Conroe or Livingston
Our plans have changed and are a little up in the air for now regarding relocating so for now will be staying in TX and a bit in NYC. Thanks bobo, will keep you posted if we need to make a permanent move and you can get one of your friends in a cobalt but for the meantime hope to see you on the water in either Conroe or Livingston
‘11 A25
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests


