Engine Running Rough VP V6/280

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Engine Running Rough VP V6/280

Post by BobRae99 »

cmattj wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:35 pm Interesting about the throttle. I wonder if they should check that also. It may be related to the miss and it’s surging.?

In a sence your boating style may be fine with the size. Get her fixed up and leave the speed for the ranger bass boats.

I have friends in Tahoe with 25 foot boats that always cruise the shoreline so no biggie as it’s smoother regardless of the size.

Keep us posted and don’t shop without us😂
Throttle has been the same since new. Not a problem starting out, but when you are cruising with a skier at 19 mph and they want 23, pressing forward on the handle gives you resistance until you apply a certain amount of pressure, then it moves too much and you yank the skier forward until you correct. I think I read about the problem in a boat review with the same engine. The reviewer commented that the EVC throttle was easier and smoother to operate. It’s not the end of the world, just a bit annoying.

From Boatest.com:

http://www.boattest.com/oem/337/engines/31500126/0/


“We Recommend EVC Control

Those customers choosing the ‘E’ equipped engines will enjoy the benefits of Volvo Penta’s Electronic Vessel Control. The system provides true electronic throttle and shift control in addition to digital instrumentation. This system allows precise throttle adjustments at all rpm settings. We would have welcomed this option on the test boat.”
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Engine Running Rough VP V6/280

Post by Big Block Power »

My old Volvo must have the same problem. It sticks all the way to full throttle. Lol
I used I think 4 tanks of gas in 10 hours. I have to get that checked out. Lol

Mine has a fiction disc in the throttle assembly. You can adjust it. Mines nice and free from idle to wot baby.
Jeff does your throttle still stick😜
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Engine Running Rough VP V6/280

Post by NautiGirl »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:02 pm My old Volvo must have the same problem. It sticks all the way to full throttle. Lol
I used I think 4 tanks of gas in 10 hours. I have to get that checked out. Lol

Mine has a fiction disc in the throttle assembly. You can adjust it. Mines nice and free from idle to wot baby.
Jeff does your throttle still stick😜
As you can imagine it only sticks when pulling Katie on a tube, so weird.

I said it before - if you are looking to be able to control speed with single mph accuracy then you should look at GPS speed control. Even w/ EVC I dont think the OEM non GPS speedo is accurate enough to correctly display 1 or 2mph changes.

The Malibu wakesetter we were on last weekend was able to set the speed to the tenth of the mph. No idea how accurate it was but you sound like you know what you are doing when you say "set the speed to 11.5...no wait make it 11.4"

When we ski I don't think I even look at the speedo, its not accurate anyway, I watch the tachometer and keep it around 3k. Sure I make adjustments based on what the person behind the boat wants, but I dont stress over making sure they are 2 or 3mph increments. No one we pull is good enough for it to matter, hell if you are that serious I would argue you shouldn't be pulling people /w a cobalt. Maybe I dunno what I am doing, I dunno.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: Engine Running Rough VP V6/280

Post by cmattj »

Ok..I missed your throttle is an effort problem.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Engine Running Rough VP V6/280

Post by BobRae99 »

NautiGirl wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:12 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:02 pm My old Volvo must have the same problem. It sticks all the way to full throttle. Lol
I used I think 4 tanks of gas in 10 hours. I have to get that checked out. Lol

Mine has a fiction disc in the throttle assembly. You can adjust it. Mines nice and free from idle to wot baby.
Jeff does your throttle still stick😜
As you can imagine it only sticks when pulling Katie on a tube, so weird.

I said it before - if you are looking to be able to control speed with single mph accuracy then you should look at GPS speed control. Even w/ EVC I dont think the OEM non GPS speedo is accurate enough to correctly display 1 or 2mph changes.

The Malibu wakesetter we were on last weekend was able to set the speed to the tenth of the mph. No idea how accurate it was but you sound like you know what you are doing when you say "set the speed to 11.5...no wait make it 11.4"

When we ski I don't think I even look at the speedo, its not accurate anyway, I watch the tachometer and keep it around 3k. Sure I make adjustments based on what the person behind the boat wants, but I dont stress over making sure they are 2 or 3mph increments. No one we pull is good enough for it to matter, hell if you are that serious I would argue you shouldn't be pulling people /w a cobalt. Maybe I dunno what I am doing, I dunno.
I was just using the 19 mph as a reference point to explain what happens when I try to increase or decrease the speed a bit. I'm unable to make speed changes without adding too much or taking too much away, which ends up jerking the skier around as I try and find a better speed. It an unfortunate setup in that sense. I pull my kids behind my bota, but I pull a friend behind his boat which is a 23' Centurion Wake/Surf boat with V Drive and you can micro adjust the throttle with your thumb resting on the lever and moving in a smooth motion. I can see that Volvo has an E (EVC) 280 and non EVC 280 and Cobalt used the non EVC. I'm sure its a price point thing as the EVC option adds a couple of thousand dollars (at least) and the A series is pretty expensive compared to other bowriders in the 20 - 23' range anyway. Not saying you don't get more with Cobalt, but most people always consider price, especially at the entry level.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: Engine Running Rough VP V6/280

Post by cmattj »

I’ll agree it’s worth it. Our 282 has factory DTS ( Digital, Throttle and shift) I love it as it also automatically syncronizes both engines. Marvy right?

I think it is tooooo easy in effort as I actually like a little feel. But it makes fast parking with two sticks instead of 4.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Engine Running Rough VP V6/280

Post by NautiGirl »

cmattj wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:14 am I’ll agree it’s worth it. Our 282 has factory DTS ( Digital, Throttle and shift) I love it as it also automatically syncronizes both engines. Marvy right?

I think it is tooooo easy in effort as I actually like a little feel. But it makes fast parking with two sticks instead of 4.
All fine and everything but do your dual engines run rough when you rev them to 2,000RPM in neutral? Do they!?!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: Engine Running Rough VP V6/280

Post by cmattj »

NautiGirl wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:33 pm

All fine and everything but do your dual engines run rough when you rev them to 2,000RPM in neutral? Do they!?!
Those 16 cylinders are margarine smooth😎
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Engine Running Rough VP V6/280

Post by NautiGirl »

It must really be difficult to even tell the boat is running rough /w dual V8's. Course even if it was would you have money to fix it after you paid the gas bill?
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: Engine Running Rough VP V6/280

Post by cmattj »

NautiGirl wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:48 pm It must really be difficult to even tell the boat is running rough /w dual V8's. Course even if it was would you have money to fix it after you paid the gas bill?
Us California folk tape the fuel gauge and just let 1/4 tank read only. We also do a “no peek” fuel fill until it clicks one time... Hand the credit card to the attendant..... Then Sign it blindly and throw the receipt away immediately..

It improved my boating enjoyment .
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: Engine Running Rough VP V6/280

Post by NautiGirl »

cmattj wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:22 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:48 pm It must really be difficult to even tell the boat is running rough /w dual V8's. Course even if it was would you have money to fix it after you paid the gas bill?
Us California folk tape the fuel gauge and just let 1/4 tank read only. We also do a “no peek” fuel fill until it clicks one time... Hand the credit card to the attendant..... Then Sign it blindly and throw the receipt away immediately..

It improved my boating enjoyment .
I have told BBP, who I am now convinced is the Godfather of Cobalt Chat - guy has everyone's number and can make things happen, that you and the Nauti's need to hang out and get a lemonade or six. Next time we are out your way.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Engine Running Rough VP V6/280

Post by Big Block Power »

NautiGirl wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:29 pm
cmattj wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:22 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:48 pm It must really be difficult to even tell the boat is running rough /w dual V8's. Course even if it was would you have money to fix it after you paid the gas bill?
Us California folk tape the fuel gauge and just let 1/4 tank read only. We also do a “no peek” fuel fill until it clicks one time... Hand the credit card to the attendant..... Then Sign it blindly and throw the receipt away immediately..

It improved my boating enjoyment .
I have told BBP, who I am now convinced is the Godfather of Cobalt Chat - guy has everyone's number and can make things happen, that you and the Nauti's need to hang out and get a lemonade or six. Next time we are out your way.
The Godfather is not invited?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: Engine Running Rough VP V6/280

Post by cmattj »

NautiGirl wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:29 pm

I have told BBP, who I am now convinced is the Godfather of Cobalt Chat - guy has everyone's number and can make things happen, that you and the Nauti's need to hang out and get a lemonade or six. Next time we are out your way.
Back at you guys! That would be fun! And yes..I’m also convinced 😎
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests