+1 on the rudder indicator... That's made Jeff's list of must haves on the next one... Did any of these guys order us this on these new boats?Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:40 pm Not sure if you will be pulling waterskiers but it's the same thing for that. Always pointing off center. Plus when I launch the drive is pointing to the right from trailering. I just give it more throttle. Lol
You just have to be quick turning it the other way. It will come with time.
I would 100% get the rudder indicator on a new boat
IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
- NautiGirl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2849
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
- Location: Kentucky
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
Are there aftermarket kits for this too?NautiGirl wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 pm+1 on the rudder indicator... That's made Jeff's list of must haves on the next one... Did any of these guys order us this on these new boats?Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:40 pm Not sure if you will be pulling waterskiers but it's the same thing for that. Always pointing off center. Plus when I launch the drive is pointing to the right from trailering. I just give it more throttle. Lol
You just have to be quick turning it the other way. It will come with time.
I would 100% get the rudder indicator on a new boat
Thanks,
G
2011 210 Volvo Penta 4.3 GXi
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
Yes, there are aftermarket ones. There's even one were the indicator mounts in the middle of the steering wheel.
2018 r5
2003 220
2003 220
- Big Block Power
- Fleet Admiral

- Posts: 17930
- Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
- Location: Neenah,Wi
- Contact:
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
Cycle did you order that for us?NautiGirl wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:01 pm+1 on the rudder indicator... That's made Jeff's list of must haves on the next one... Did any of these guys order us this on these new boats?Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:40 pm Not sure if you will be pulling waterskiers but it's the same thing for that. Always pointing off center. Plus when I launch the drive is pointing to the right from trailering. I just give it more throttle. Lol
You just have to be quick turning it the other way. It will come with time.
I would 100% get the rudder indicator on a new boat
The center of my steering wheel is always spinning centered
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
- thunder550
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2246
- Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
- Location: Scottsdale, AZ
- Contact:
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
BobRae99 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:22 am Actually, I found backing out more difficult, but I understand what I'm doing wrong. When you share a 20' diagonal slip with another boat (less beam than mine, though), you can't jog the transmission into reverse, wait to see which way the stern is heading and then try to correct. By the time my brain figures all of that out, its too late and a collision is possible.
Depending on wind direction and how much room between myself and whoever is docked next to me, sometimes I'll just push the boat out by hand to make sure it comes out pointing the direction I want, then give a good shove off/hop on at the last minute.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
I thought about doing that (and no disrespect to you), but my friends in the marina would start laughing at me if I did that. They are a tough crowd.thunder550 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:58 pmBobRae99 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:22 am Actually, I found backing out more difficult, but I understand what I'm doing wrong. When you share a 20' diagonal slip with another boat (less beam than mine, though), you can't jog the transmission into reverse, wait to see which way the stern is heading and then try to correct. By the time my brain figures all of that out, its too late and a collision is possible.
Depending on wind direction and how much room between myself and whoever is docked next to me, sometimes I'll just push the boat out by hand to make sure it comes out pointing the direction I want, then give a good shove off/hop on at the last minute.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
- thunder550
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2246
- Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
- Location: Scottsdale, AZ
- Contact:
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
I guarantee they'd be an even tougher crowd if you ran your back end into the neighboring boat. I'll take a few laughs and a successful exit over scratching up my boat or running into someone else's.BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:37 pm I thought about doing that (and no disrespect to you), but my friends in the marina would start laughing at me if I did that. They are a tough crowd.![]()
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
- NautiGirl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2849
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
- Location: Kentucky
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
+billion on that one...i say walk that boat out of the slip, crank the tunes and roll on... Way better than hitting somethingthunder550 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:54 pmI guarantee they'd be an even tougher crowd if you ran your back end into the neighboring boat. I'll take a few laughs and a successful exit over scratching up my boat or running into someone else's.BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:37 pm I thought about doing that (and no disrespect to you), but my friends in the marina would start laughing at me if I did that. They are a tough crowd.![]()
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
Geeze .. just look in the crystal blue water and eyeball the outdrive..
Not like you guys are in toxic California Delta or Wisconsin ..
Not like you guys are in toxic California Delta or Wisconsin ..
Last edited by cmattj on Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
California Delta
Table Rock Lake
#FARCON
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
Hay, our wisconsin water I can see down around 8 feet. Just dont ask me in a couple of weeks.cmattj wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:03 pm Geeze .. just look in the crystal blue water and eyeball the outdrive..
Not like you guys are in toxic California Delta or Wisconsin ..
2018 r5
2003 220
2003 220
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
I can only see 12" down in our lake, but as others have posted, walking the boat backward out of the narrow slip is better than hitting my neighbour. I'm going to try making sure the drive is straight before bumping the transmission into reverse and then neutral. If I can't master it, I'll just walk the boat out as has been suggested.Bfun220 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:07 pmHay, our wisconsin water I can see down around 8 feet. Just dont ask me in a couple of weeks.cmattj wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:03 pm Geeze .. just look in the crystal blue water and eyeball the outdrive..
Not like you guys are in toxic California Delta or Wisconsin ..![]()
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
- thunder550
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2246
- Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
- Location: Scottsdale, AZ
- Contact:
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
Any entry or exit done without damage is a win in my book, regardless of how you get it doneBobRae99 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:33 pm I can only see 12" down in our lake, but as others have posted, walking the boat backward out of the narrow slip is better than hitting my neighbour. I'm going to try making sure the drive is straight before bumping the transmission into reverse and then neutral. If I can't master it, I'll just walk the boat out as has been suggested.![]()
If you count steering wheel turns lock-to-lock and divide by 2 you can center the drive that way also, without having to look at anything.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
You could always add a indicator. Not sure how well this would work but it may help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018 r5
2003 220
2003 220
- thunder550
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2246
- Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:16 pm
- Location: Scottsdale, AZ
- Contact:
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
Or attach one of these trailer hitch assist thingies to the driveBfun220 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:53 pm You could always add a indicator. Not sure how well this would work but it may help.

1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
- NautiGirl
- Vice Admiral

- Posts: 2849
- Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
- Location: Kentucky
- Been thanked: 1 time
- Contact:
Re: IN The Water - Finally (Pics)
You boat neighbor next to you will be very thankful that you chose to walk the boat... He won't laugh at that... Just a guess.BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:33 pmI can only see 12" down in our lake, but as others have posted, walking the boat backward out of the narrow slip is better than hitting my neighbour. I'm going to try making sure the drive is straight before bumping the transmission into reverse and then neutral. If I can't master it, I'll just walk the boat out as has been suggested.Bfun220 wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:07 pmHay, our wisconsin water I can see down around 8 feet. Just dont ask me in a couple of weeks.cmattj wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:03 pm Geeze .. just look in the crystal blue water and eyeball the outdrive..
Not like you guys are in toxic California Delta or Wisconsin ..![]()
![]()
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests

