2016 SD24 Fuses Blowing

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Post Reply
deanellis1
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:13 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

2016 SD24 Fuses Blowing

Post by deanellis1 »

My starter fuse has blown on me twice in two weeks (20A, located in the fuse block on top of the engine). The shop pulled the starter motor and bench tested it, but didn't find any problems. I've also had my interior lights blow (the fuse/breaker has popped, and I can't re-set it, suggesting there's a short in the lighting circuit). The only thing I can narrow down at this point is that the problems seem to happen after I turn the Blue Sea 5511e dual battery switch from the "Off" position to the "On" position. I don't seem to have a problem when I leave the power "On." Has anyone seen a similar problem or issues with the Blue Sea dual battery on/off switch? I also have a Blue Sea Automatic Charging Relay (ACR), which is wired between the two batteries. I'm thinking the Blue Sea switch or the ACR are causing a voltage spike (surge) when turning the power on, wreaking havoc on my electrical system.

Dean
2016 Cobalt 24SD
Volvo Penta
140 Hours
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: 2016 SD24 Fuses Blowing

Post by AsLan7 »

.
Hey Dean. I’m not familiar with this issue or the Blue Sea battery switch. That being said, others here will chime in.

Any pics that you could post for us? Feel free to start a new thread introducing yourself if you desire. We love hearing how folks get into Cobalt boats.

So glad you found us and welcome aboard mate!
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
User avatar
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2057
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:50 pm
Location: Wisconsin
Contact:

Re: 2016 SD24 Fuses Blowing

Post by Bfun220 »

The ACR should have it's own fuse/ circuit breaker and unless you turning the switch on causes a sudden drop in voltage on one of the batteries I dont believe the ACR is going to be the problem. But to double check it, remove the fuse or open the breaker for the ACR and see if your problem goes away. I'm unsure on the switch. But you could pull the wires off and connect a multimeter across the switch and make sure it is operating correctly.
2018 r5
2003 220
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: 2016 SD24 Fuses Blowing

Post by cmattj »

As I always want to know what' on the boat has changed recently or what have you added( stereo equipment?? Led lights etc). Any cruiser wakes jumped by accident lately? Repairs done on last service?

I ask because it sounds like two separate issues. Starter relay being commanded by ignition blowing fuse That commands the relay to open is load to switch issue. Not a starter amp load as it feeds separate.

Weak ground or pulled slightly terminal or it would do it all the time.

The second breaker not resetting is short to ground so they should be able to isolate that by removing each item to that circuit.

You may try removing the battery charger leads as suggested by bfun and then if not it's time to get schematics.

I'm guessing a harness is pulled or a inline modual or battery charger could be culprit since it's intermittent and not cold or hot related.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: 2016 SD24 Fuses Blowing

Post by NautiGirl »

cmattj wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 pm As I always want to know what' on the boat has changed recently or what have you added( stereo equipment?? Led lights etc).
Of course he has added LED lights, I honestly think Katie and I are the only boat on the forum without LED's....just not cool enough I guess.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: 2016 SD24 Fuses Blowing

Post by Big Block Power »

NautiGirl wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:19 pm
cmattj wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 pm As I always want to know what' on the boat has changed recently or what have you added( stereo equipment?? Led lights etc).
Of course he has added LED lights, I honestly think Katie and I are the only boat on the forum without LED's....just not cool enough I guess.
You guys just think red is bright enough.
Just think how many kids you would have if you added them!
You could give liquid a run fir his money😂
Or at least try to have them.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: 2016 SD24 Fuses Blowing

Post by NautiGirl »

Big Block Power wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:47 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:19 pm
cmattj wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:39 pm As I always want to know what' on the boat has changed recently or what have you added( stereo equipment?? Led lights etc).
Of course he has added LED lights, I honestly think Katie and I are the only boat on the forum without LED's....just not cool enough I guess.
You guys just think red is bright enough.
Just think how many kids you would have if you added them!
You could give liquid a run fir his money😂
Or at least try to have them.
You shut your mouth.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: 2016 SD24 Fuses Blowing

Post by Big Block Power »

NautiGirl wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:51 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:47 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:19 pm

Of course he has added LED lights, I honestly think Katie and I are the only boat on the forum without LED's....just not cool enough I guess.
You guys just think red is bright enough.
Just think how many kids you would have if you added them!
You could give liquid a run fir his money😂
Or at least try to have them.
You shut your mouth.
That was Mr. Nauti🤣
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 3963
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:52 pm
Location: Stockton, California
Contact:

Re: 2016 SD24 Fuses Blowing

Post by cmattj »

Big Block Power wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:53 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:51 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:47 pm

You guys just think red is bright enough.
Just think how many kids you would have if you added them!
You could give liquid a run fir his money😂
Or at least try to have them.
You shut your mouth.
That was Mr. Nauti🤣
:lol:

So....
If your Boat is .. let's just say for example.." Candied Red" do you even need nav lights much less led? Just curious :D
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake


#FARCON
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: 2016 SD24 Fuses Blowing

Post by Big Block Power »

cmattj wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:40 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:53 pm
NautiGirl wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:51 pm

You shut your mouth.
That was Mr. Nauti🤣
:lol:

So....
If your Boat is .. let's just say for example.." Candied Red" do you even need nav lights much less led? Just curious :D
Um by the looks of your candy the answer is yes. Lead by example.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 61 guests