New 2017 220s owner

Post Reply
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain
Posts: 491
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am
Location: KY
Contact:

New 2017 220s owner

Post by Alaskabound »

Hello all

New to forum and Cobalt. I'll try to be brief. We boat at Laurel Lake in Kentucky for past 40 years. At 69, wife and I had to decide between long term care or Cobalt. Oh well.

Have always admired Cobalts at the boat show. Last boat was 6.2 L Chaparral with captain's call so wasn't sure about v6. On April 4, dealer took us on a trial run. I was very impressed with the 280 hp v6. And loved the duoprop. Great control, particularly in turns. My last boat was 63 mph but this Cobalt will do fine for us.

Basics. White hull, red stripe, bow/tonneau cover, Bimini top. Had dealer install sea grass carpet, fender clips & agm battery, heritage trailer with oil bath hubs & folding tongue. Had I ordered this boat, not sure what else I would have changed. May have gotten trim switch on back. Could have upgraded the engine but to be honest, the times that I went over 50 mph in my other boat was few and far between. Always made me nervous.

Looking forward to learning from this forum. Now, if I can just find where to plug in my 8 track tapes!

Dub and Sandra Potter
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: New 2017 220s owner

Post by Big Block Power »

Welcome from Wisconsin. Without pictures it didn't happen. The transom switch is easy to install and cheap.plug and play.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
liquid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2811
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:18 pm
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Re: New 2017 220s owner

Post by liquid »

Alaska - LTC is a sweet spot depending on your Net Worth. Depends on quite few factors if it makes sense for you. I would argue that a Cobalt is better for your quality of life thus reducing the likelihood of needing care.

Welcome and let's see that boat!
2002 190
5.0L Volvo Penta GL

#FARCONCEO
Alaskabound
Captain
Captain
Posts: 491
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:30 am
Location: KY
Contact:

Re: New 2017 220s owner

Post by Alaskabound »

Actually, I was just trying to be funny. I agree about quality of life, though. Not too many things in life that are more fun than being on the water. We can't wait to get to the water to try it out. We just picked it up last week. It took the dealer about 3 weeks to get the Seagrass from Cobalt. Thanks for the reply, Liquid. I was kidding about the 8 track tapes, too.

Big block, thanks for the info. Going to see how much I would use transom switch. Seems like it would be handy. Does the switch actually come with a connector that plugs in? Is the receiver connector hard to find?

We're working on the picture. Thanks

Dub
2017 220S (280 HP Volvo duoprop)
Live in Shepherdsville, KY
Boat at Laurel Lake (London, KY)
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: New 2017 220s owner

Post by Big Block Power »

This works on Volvo as well. I used it on my last 220.
I may have pictures in my Cobalt upgrade thread?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral
Posts: 5377
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:34 am
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: New 2017 220s owner

Post by Ytmsn »

Welcome Alaska!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 22 guests