2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

(200, 210, 220, CS series)
User avatar
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Oh
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by ajcampen »

Big Block Power wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:04 pm
Aj your on a roll. I can't wait till I need another boat.lol
What ca I say I am bored
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by BobRae99 »

ajcampen wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:00 pm http://www.hagadonemarine.com/boat-inve ... balt-220s/

2016 under 50k
Hi aj, you are on a roll. A year newer, but with a V6/280 instead of V8/300, but with the wrapping on the throttle, it looks like a new boat. I think I’d have to add a trailer though which would put it above the cost of the 2015 you found with the V8 and tower.

edit: the sales sheet says the price includes the trailer
Last edited by BobRae99 on Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by AsLan7 »

Yes, Ajc is a boat finding machine!
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by BobRae99 »

Duplicate
Last edited by BobRae99 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by BobRae99 »

The dealer got back to me. The 2015 220S in AR is confirmed to have the Volvo V8/300 DP with 23 hours. The tower wasn't part of the original equipment - it was added afterwards (I assume by the dealer). The boat went in the water in spring 2015. NADA says the boat value is $43,000 - $48,000 with a V8. Given the options that can be put on these boats, I'm not sure how reliable the valuation is. thoughts on how to arrive at the appropriate price? Its hard to understand how a boat only has 23 hours on it after 3 seasons though.

As I am out of state, I was wondering about a marine survey. Any thoughts? Can the boat go in the water in AR at this time of year?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
User avatar
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1731
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Columbus, Oh
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by ajcampen »

BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:07 pm The dealer selling the 2015 220 got back to me to confirm that the boat has a Volvo V8/300 DP with 23.1 hours on it. It went in the water in 2015. The tower was added after delivery. Anyone want to hazard a guess at whet the selling price of this boat should be with trailer? NADA says a low of $43,000 - high of $49,000. Thoughts?
I think it is priced about right and I am comparing to mine with tower that I purchased in July of 17. Nada is not perfect and I would still buy it at 52$.
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
User avatar
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2849
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:10 pm
Location: Kentucky
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by NautiGirl »

23 hours after 3 seasons....so they don't ski or tube or run around the lake WOT with their captains call on...no wait that's me!

Our boat we bought new to us last summer was a 2007 with 94 hours on it...it was on a small lake, and they just sat on the anchor...fine by me...everything was always serviced and maintained. No biggie.
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 6.2L Merc - Sold
1997 190 4.3 Volvo - Peak Cobalt Design and Manufacturing
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by Big Block Power »

Honestly it's priced ok. Nice boat. But it's at a dealer so offer him $47 and work your way up. Jump on it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by BobRae99 »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:57 pm Honestly it's priced ok. Nice boat. But it's at a dealer so offer him $47 and work your way up. Jump on it.
I'm thinking $46,500 firm and I'll have a marine survey done before I have it shipped. I'm going to my local dealer this afternoon to see how he tries to talk me into a new 2016 210 with V6.280 vs a used 220S with 23 hours and V8/300 for about the same money - landed on my driveway. Thanks for everyone's help.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by AsLan7 »

BobRae99 wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:10 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:57 pm Honestly it's priced ok. Nice boat. But it's at a dealer so offer him $47 and work your way up. Jump on it.
I'm thinking $46,500 firm and I'll have a marine survey done before I have it shipped. I'm going to my local dealer this afternoon to see how he tries to talk me into a new 2016 210 with V6.280 vs a used 220S with 23 hours and V8/300 for about the same money - landed on my driveway. Thanks for everyone's help.
Sounds like you have a good plan, BR99. Highly recommend a survey. I would use that as a negotiating tool as well. In fact I would start my offer out at $45k but ask for a dealer provided Survey and a winterization or detail thrown in. Settle on $47k and the survey.

Btw, I did not get to officially welcome you to the site when folks dove right into this topic. So glad you found us!
All we ask for are pictures (or a video!) in return.

Curious how you got into boating. Feel free to start a new thread on that one if you wish. We love hearing about a member's journey to a Cobalt.

Once again, welcome aboard mate!
.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by BobRae99 »

Thanks Aslan,

I visited my local dealer this afternoon and toured a new 220S and the new 2016 210 V6/280 they have left over. To be honest, for a first boat I’m not sure I need the extra space in the 220. As to power in the 210, I’m wondering how much of a difference the extra HP of the V8/300 will make? There must be more midrange power in the V8, but how much will I notice it? Both boats max out within 3 mph of each other and time to plane difference is about 1/2 a second. If there were 2 boats side by side with the different engines, I’d be likely to take the one with the V8, but there isn’t.

With respect to the used 220S in AR, the boat has low hours but I have to buy it sight unseen, ship it, clear it through customers, ensure it meets Canadian specifications, separate the trailer from the boat deal and import that under different sales contract. I have to arrange for original documentation to arrive at the USA point of exit 48 hours before the boat arrives and meet the boat at the border 60 miles from where I live and clear it through. I also have to insure the boat as soon as it is paid for, so I have coverage if it suffers a loss in transit. All in all, not without risk. Finally, even at $47,500, I estimate this boat will be about $10,000 more $CAD (taxes in) than I’d be hoping to buy the 2016 210 for.

So, here is what I told the dealer: I’ve offered them a low, but I think fair price for the 210 but asked them to install a Cobalt Bimini on it for that price and include the least expensive trailer they have. If they can’t get down to my price, or as an alternative I’ve also asked them to look for a customer of theirs with a 3 year old 220S who might be persuaded to move up to a new boat and then price that used boat for me. I’d like to see how that option would compare to the boat in AR. While that boat is about $10,000 CAD ($8,000 USD) over my preferred budget, I think if I could find a simple local purchase, I might be inclined to move up, even though I don’t need the extra space.

If my offer on the 210 isn’t accepted and there are no local 220s to be had at a competitive price to the AR boat, I think I’d ask the dealer for better pictures and enter into negotiations on that unit.

With respect to the 210, the dealer estimates 2 year depreciation (trade in value) to be no more than $8 - $10,000 ($6,400 -$8,000 USD). I don’t consider that to be an onerous risk if I decide I made a mistake on size or power. The dealer has suggested that if we can come to terms on price, I leave a deposit subject to a satisfactory test drive once the ice is off,the lake in spring.

By way of background, I’m really new to power boating at age 60. I have spent most of my time sailing a small catamaran and a 25’ keel boat, getting my power boat fix from Sea Doos since 2003. I have several friends at the lake community we summer at. One has a 2014 Regal 2100, the other just got a 2013 Centurian Enzo 23 for skiing - a bit of a mistake on our large lake that regularly sees 2’ + waves, so his boating wil be limited to flat water conditions, usually early morning and later in the evenings. I have two younger kids who enjoy the Sea Doo, but their friends are starting to join them at our cabin and it is a bit of a chore to keep swapping riders so everyone gets time on the water.

I suspect my boat will see 20 or so hours a summer and the kids want me to keep our 2016 Sea Doo RXT X300 for rough water riding and “fun”.

This forum has been a great resource and I appreciate everyone’s input. Based on what I have read, I’m not sure any Cobalt is a “bad” choice. My friend with the Regal has boated on our lake for 30 years and while he is an admitted “V8 guy” he says the weight, hull design and quality of Cobalt make the 210 or 220 a 10/10 for our lake.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by Big Block Power »

This is what I see. Sea Doo =fast
Kids friends = space
Skiing, fast, kids,friends=v8 220
Sorry I have to run to work. Or this could go on for some time.

Colin a little help here :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:16 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by BobRae99 »

Big Block Power wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:32 am This is what I see. Sea Doo =fast
Kids friends = space
Skiing, fast, kids,friends=v8 220
Sorry I have to run to work. Or this could go on for some time.

Colin a little help here :-)
In a perfect world, I'd get a 220S/350 HP with an arch, but we get 10 weekends and one week vacation per season (July and August) on the lake close to where we live. After you subtract rainy/cool days and rough water days, most people put 15 -20 hours on their boat a season up here. So, I'm thinking I'll get my feet wet on the first boat and reassess after a year or two. This process is giving me a headache, but I appreciate the replies. :) PS If I left this to my wife we'd be buying a 2 year old 21' Bayliner.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by AsLan7 »

BobRae99 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:54 am
Big Block Power wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:32 am This is what I see. Sea Doo =fast
Kids friends = space
Skiing, fast, kids,friends=v8 220
Sorry I have to run to work. Or this could go on for some time.

Colin a little help here :-)
In a perfect world, I'd get a 220S/350 HP with an arch, but we get 10 weekends and one week vacation per season (July and August) on the lake close to where we live. After you subtract rainy/cool days and rough water days, most people put 15 -20 hours on their boat a season up here. So, I'm thinking I'll get my feet wet on the first boat and reassess after a year or two. This process is giving me a headache, but I appreciate the replies. :) PS If I left this to my wife we'd be buying a 2 year old 21' Bayliner.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

.
You have a good plan BR99. Go with it.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: 2016 Cobalt 210 or 220S? Power Options?

Post by Big Block Power »

BobRae99 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:54 am
Big Block Power wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:32 am This is what I see. Sea Doo =fast
Kids friends = space
Skiing, fast, kids,friends=v8 220
Sorry I have to run to work. Or this could go on for some time.

Colin a little help here :-)
In a perfect world, I'd get a 220S/350 HP with an arch, but we get 10 weekends and one week vacation per season (July and August) on the lake close to where we live. After you subtract rainy/cool days and rough water days, most people put 15 -20 hours on their boat a season up here. So, I'm thinking I'll get my feet wet on the first boat and reassess after a year or two. This process is giving me a headache, but I appreciate the replies. :) PS If I left this to my wife we'd be buying a 2 year old 21' Bayliner.
He swore banned for life the B word :-)
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests