Radio

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
Post Reply
juddmyers
Captain
Captain
Posts: 278
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:34 am
Location: Paducah, KY
Contact:

Radio

Post by juddmyers »

Anyone swapped out their radio and remotes?
20171118_124647.jpg
I'd like to replace this unit but would like to see what someone else has done. I know I would need to cut that hole bigger for a different remote.

Oh and what is supposed to be behind that grill? Exhaust outlet for fumes or a speaker or what??

Last question, do you pull both your batteries in the winter and put them on a battery tender?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2001 262 "Makin IT"
User avatar
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 17930
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 8:05 pm
Location: Neenah,Wi
Contact:

Re: Radio

Post by Big Block Power »

juddmyers wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:52 pm Anyone swapped out their radio and remotes?

20171118_124647.jpg

I'd like to replace this unit but would like to see what someone else has done. I know I would need to cut that hole bigger for a different remote.

Oh and what is supposed to be behind that grill? Exhaust outlet for fumes or a speaker or what??

Last question, do you pull both your batteries in the winter and put them on a battery tender?
You can still get that remote. Behind the grille I think is just your blower inlet or the outlet. Yes lots of radios have been replaced to the newer Bluetooth ones. The connector in the rear of the radio will be diff. Also I just like Sony because the functions on the remotes will still work at least most functions. We can help sirens your money multiple members have the same radio as I do. I like it. Yes there are better and worse. I normally pull my batteries but since the garage is insulated good I left them in this year. The 222 stored non insulated storage I pulled them and I'll charge all of them once a month.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
User avatar
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2023
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 pm
Location: Austin, TX
Contact:

Re: Radio

Post by Driller »

Judd,

I've installed a Pro Mariner ProSports 20 on my boat to keep the batteries charged during the winter. I hope it works well. I have electricity at my slip, so all I have to worry about is a power failure. Will check it every month or so. The charger goes into "Maintain Mode" after being active for a month so that it keeps the batteries (2) fully charged at all times.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Radio

Post by AsLan7 »

juddmyers wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:52 pm Anyone swapped out their radio and remotes?

20171118_124647.jpg

I'd like to replace this unit but would like to see what someone else has done. I know I would need to cut that hole bigger for a different remote.

Oh and what is supposed to be behind that grill? Exhaust outlet for fumes or a speaker or what??

Last question, do you pull both your batteries in the winter and put them on a battery tender?
.
Hey JuddM.

Like bbp said, the sony remote head is still available for replacement. It's $59.95 at Great Lakes skipper here:

https://greatlakesskipper.com/rinker-cp ... gKnq_D_BwE

Just make sure whatever you install is waterproof. It will also need silicone to seal it. Easy plug and play with the sony.


.
If you are talking about a stereo head replacement, I replaced mine with the top of the line Sony MexM100BT and documented it here:
.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=577&hilit=sony&start=10

.
Your bilge blower will take any fumes that have accumulated in the bilge and vent them out one side of the cavity in that grill. The other cavity is the intake side which allows fresh air to circulate. You can see the two separations inside the grill if you look closely. Each side has a flexible "dryer" type hose that leads to the bilge.

.
Finally, I pull my batteries for the winter since my boat is stored off site. If you have access to an outlet, you can just keep an inexpensive battery tender on it during the off season. I do this with the cars stored in our garage. They are less than $30 on amazon:
.
https://smile.amazon.com/Battery-Tender ... KTJ77CJZFF

.
Hope this helps.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests