Tow Ring Turns while Pulling

Post Reply
chrisolson91
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:27 am
Location: Green Bay, WI
Contact:

Tow Ring Turns while Pulling

Post by chrisolson91 »

Hey all, curious if anyone can shed some light for me. I have a 2002 206 with a tow ring that looks like this...
IMG_1231.jpeg
The problem I'm facing is whenever I pull the tube it wants to turn on me and not stay perpendicular. I just purchased the boat so thought it was just a matter of tightening it but I hand tightened the bolt underneath and but it still turned first tube ride. Unless there something I'm missing seems like a terrible design where the only thing holding it fixed is bolt tightness.

Here's what the underneath looks like. Is there something I'm missing that I can do to make it more secure?
IMG_1232.jpeg
IMG_1233.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
23Clubbing
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:42 pm
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Tow Ring Turns while Pulling

Post by 23Clubbing »

Waiting to hear someone answer as mine does the same and I thought maybe it’s supposed to do that?

Chris
2004 226 :)
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: Tow Ring Turns while Pulling

Post by AsLan7 »

It should not turn.
If it were I fixing that issue, I would purchase a large stainless fender washer, undo the ski tow using a crescent wrench; squeeze a little loctite on the threads; insert the fender washer under the nut on the top side; screw on the bottom nut with fender washer and tighten using the crescent wrench.

.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
23Clubbing
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Posts: 36
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2024 5:42 pm
Location: Houston
Contact:

Re: Tow Ring Turns while Pulling

Post by 23Clubbing »

Thank you!! I just removed the nut and lock washers etc so I can go get a large enough socket for it. It’s not as easy to get to as it would seem

Chris
2004 226 :)
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: DuckDuckGo [Bot] and 41 guests