Page 1 of 1

Need Help/Advice! - 2006 272 with cracked blocked

Posted: Fri Aug 14, 2026 4:31 am
by Jonmullen
Hi guys! I desperately need some help or advice. I bought a used 2006 272 with the 496HO motor last year. It only had about 330 hours on it and is in immaculate condition. Well, unfortunately we discovered the block was cracked at the beginning of this season. I'm being told they don't make the 496 anymore buy they can get a long block and swap my accessories over to it. I would be looking at like $25k to get all of that done and I only paid $40k for the boat. Is it worth the repair? Does this boat (without the engine) have any value to anyone??? I've already lost my whole summer boating season over this issue and don't know what to do to move forward. Thanks for your input.

Re: Need Help/Advice! - 2006 272 with cracked blocked

Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2026 7:04 am
by Kate
Check Jasper and Michigan Motorz.

How did that happen? Was it winterized properly?

Re: Need Help/Advice! - 2006 272 with cracked blocked

Posted: Sun Aug 16, 2026 5:50 pm
by jhnmdahl
A 20 yer old boat with no motor isn't worth a lot, so considering an engine is probably reasonable at this point as long as you'll use and maintain it.

A new, complete 496HO can be more than what you were quoted, and even a plain 496 is in that ballpark. See these guys (one of the companies Kate mentioned), for example - https://michiganmotorz.com/496-ho-mercr ... ge-425-hp/

If you're truly skilled, or have a ton of time and patience, you could always buy the a remanufactured block and move things over yourself (it does come with a new oil pump and water pump) - see https://michiganmotorz.com/8-1l-marine- ... 2001-2020/