Page 1 of 1
Hull Cleaning
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2024 6:54 am
by Kate
Anyone use oxalic acid to clean the bottom?
Did you use powder in water with a sprayer? Leave on a time then rinse? Gloves/mask necessary?
(b58 -- Thanks for the tip.)
Re: Hull Cleaning
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2024 8:12 am
by billk2632
I do occasionally. I buy the Star Brite Instant Hull Cleaner - which is basically Oxalic Acid. I put it in a spray bottle, spray on, wait a minute or two and rinse off. I'm usually doing small areas, use gloves, not usually a mask - spray downwind!
I have also used the Mary Kate On/Off - it contains hydrochloric acid - strong stuff you need gloves and a mask. I quit using it as the Oxalic acid based cleaners are less caustic and still get the job done.
Re: Hull Cleaning
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2024 10:48 pm
by billk2632
I meant to say muriatic acid - nasty stuff, but it works.
Re: Hull Cleaning
Posted: Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:50 pm
by bruceb58
I use oxalic acid. Sometimes I spray it...sometimes I mix in a bucket and use a brush. Works amazing.
Re: Hull Cleaning
Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2024 9:48 am
by Kate
Thanks for the tips.