Page 1 of 3
Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:06 pm
by Scubadeep1
I am in the market for a 2012-2014 220 with trailer. Prefer Volvo with minimum 270hp and duo prop. Let me know if you have one to sell. Not interest in towers.
Re: Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:09 pm
by AsLan7
Scubadeep1 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:06 pm
I am in the market for a 2012-2014 220 with trailer. Prefer Volvo with minimum 270hp and duo prop. Let me know if you have one to sell. Not interest in towers.
.
Hey Scubadeep1.
Welcome to the CChat forum. Our own BigBlockpower (username) may have a good read on that size Cobalt for ya. He will chime in shortly and resides fairly close to you albeit WI.
So glad you found us! Are you between boats now? (also, scuba enthusiast?)
Again, welcome aboard as the fourth new member in 2018!
.
Re: Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:15 pm
by Scubadeep1
Thank you. I actually was looking at a boat bbp has listed, I am hoping to go a bit newer. Yes I do enjoy scuba diving and in Cozumel currently to dive but the winds are not playing nice so I am here on a beach boat shopping. Been away from boating about 7 years but looking to get back into it. Previously had a Mastercraft but older now and just looking for pleasure boat. Pretty much fixed on the Cobalt for its quality. ? How is a 232 compared to the 220, ride, trailering etc. it appears much deeper than the 220.
Re: Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:52 pm
by jhnmdahl
If Bigblock has gone through a boat and cleaned it up, it's probably as good as a typical used one several years newer. He only buys clean boats, and fixes them up slowly as a hobby rather than as a fast flip.
Re: Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:54 pm
by ajcampen
Re: Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:22 pm
by NautiGirl
You didn't want BB's 220 to go all the fast? I wouldnt hesitate to buy a boat from BB... or anyone on this site!
Re: Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:53 pm
by Big Block Power
Thanks guys. Scuba Steve welcome from Wisconsin

Where are you from. I wouldn't get hung up on the year of the boat. My 2003 is as nice as new. The 232 is the 222 so they say. Yes they are larger than the 220 it will ride better. But the 220 rides great.
What's your budget. Why not a tower? They fold down easy most of the time anyways. Other wise your garage helps you fold them

we
Look forward in helping you find a boat. I'm working on another boat that's a beauty but it has a tower as well. Are you sold on the stadium seating or do you want two captain chairs? Any questions ask away. Plenty of 22 ft boaters on here to help out and spend your money too.
I love this movie

Re: Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:03 pm
by ajcampen
Boat trader has a couple that might work for you. Feel free to hit me up. I purchased a cobalt 220s 2014 from Norfolk va with 1: hrs on it this summer. Love the boat. Here is one I found on it that might do the trick
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2015- ... -103198666
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2013- ... -103114753
I love the 220s seating arrangement. It is perfect for a couple or a lot of people. The seat that flips up for the person across from the driver is awesome
Re: Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:35 pm
by cmattj
Nice find aj.. love the boot stripe only look!
Re: Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:42 pm
by Scubadeep1
Nothing against towers just prefer a bimini top to a tower. Really prefer a convertible passenger seat or rear facing but wife could learn to deal w captains chairs. Looking for a boat that is easily trailerable with an f150. Only travel about 15 miles but don’t want to have to struggle to pull. Budget well, would like to be under 40k if possible. Looked at new and really like them w the S seating but can’t justify 72k w trailer. Will be boating the chain o lakes area in Northern IL. as well as other local lakes. I live in Antioch IL. Thanks everyone for your help. Great site. One note, I definitely want a side walk thru and prefer the filler cushion so wifey has a nice lounge area to get her rays.
Re: Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:55 pm
by ColinC
Welcome Scuba! Hope the weather is better today in Cozumel. Haven't been there myself, but do get to Akumal on occasion -- just a bit further south on the riviera. Enjoy the sun.
While I don't have personal experience with a 220, I can share some perspective based on my ownership experience to date with a 2007 212. Like you I was looking for a convertible passenger seat as I felt it would be the most effective layout for family boating, as well as side walk through. Though I didn't get the convertible passenger seat, my 212 has side walk through and I wouldn't flex on that. It is super convenient to be able to step on to the swim platform from the dock and just walk into the boat. What is key is the fact that there isn't any need to step up or over part of the boat to get in.
When shopping for your Cobalt I'd suggest referencing the factory specs that can be downloaded direct from Cobalt's website. For example, a current generation 220 is 22'10" LOA (including platform) and weighs 3700lbs dry. In comparison, the previous generation 220 is 24' LOA (including platform) and weighs 4150lbs dry. Same model nomenclature, but the specs suggest they'd be different beasts on the water.
Can't comment a ton on the 222 vs. 232, but I will say that if I could do it over again, I would go a bit bigger and likely take a 232 or maybe even a 242. The majority of the extra space is in the cockpit and an extra foot or two makes a big difference. Nice to have when you've got a crowd or you're relaxing on the hook. You won't notice an extra two feet when towing, assuming your tow rig has the capacity. Not sure what model F150 you have, but you should check your numbers. For example, my 212 with fuel, trailer and accessories hovers around 6,000lbs. While the towing capacity of my 2017 Armada is 8500lbs, that's ambitous as it likely assumes no passengers or cargo in the Armada. GVWR less the scale weight of my loaded Armada is probably more like 7500lbs, which would put my boat at 80% of my effective towing capacity. Safe, but not nearly as much margin as you'd think.
The 222 and 232 are deep boats with a 21 degree deadrise vs. 20 degrees on the 220 series (current and previous gen). At 21 degrees the 212/222/232s would considered a deep V and are fine for most inland lakes. If you boat in relatively smooth, uncrowded lakes, you may be happier with a more moderate V like the 220; less power to get out of the hole, less bow rise, more stability at rest and typically better acceleration to top speed. I boat on a large, busy lake system and the 212 is very capable of handling the chop.
With Cobalt quality and the pride of ownership that most Cobalt owners have, I wouldn't hesitate to look at older boats. It will also expand the universe of potential options, increasing your odds of finding a boat that is spec'ed right -- engine and drive, colour, seating arrangement, price, etc. There are also plenty of things that can be done to modernize your Cobalt -- underwater LEDs, stereo upgrades, SeaDek, etc. Many of the members of CobaltChat have gone this route and their boats are gorgeous.
Good luck with the search!
Re: Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:07 pm
by thunder550
ColinC wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:55 pm
While I don't have personal experience with a 220, I can share some perspective based on my ownership experience to date with a 2007 212. Like you I was looking for a convertible passenger seat as I felt it would be the most effective layout for family boating, as well as side walk through. Though I didn't get the convertible passenger seat, my 212 has side walk through and I wouldn't flex on that. It is super convenient to be able to step on to the swim platform from the dock and just walk into the boat. What is key is the fact that there isn't any need to step up or over part of the boat to get in.
This statement really struck me. I would LOVE to have a walk-through, it gets really old having to climb up over the engine hatch/sun pad all the time, especially trying to keep footprints and dirt off of it. Our next boat will have a walk-through for sure.
Re: Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:29 pm
by NautiGirl
This statement really struck me. I would LOVE to have a walk-through, it gets really old having to climb up over the engine hatch/sun pad all the time, especially trying to keep footprints and dirt off of it. Our next boat will have a walk-through for sure.
[/quote]
I hear ya! It was number one on our list when shopping last summer. And unlike some folks on here, I wanted the side walk thru not the center walk thru...you can have people lounging on the back and not disrupt them when people climb back in the boat from swimming!
Re: Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:00 pm
by Big Block Power
The walk through is really a personal choice. I like the center mostly because it balances the boat out when you have people on each side of it instead of being all on one side. From what I'm told the 222 is a 232 maybe the same hull but from what I've read it's 6 inches shorter. I heard they named it 222 because so many marinas have a 24 ft limit so this kind of helped people get around it. With the center walk through you can have two sundecks Or one big. Like I said earlier my wife thought the 222 rode better than the 220 maybe because of the deadrise. I don't notice it as much
Re: Wanted 2012-2014 220 with trailer
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:50 am
by ajcampen
Maybe too new too much tower and too expensive but she sure is pretty
https://moreboats.com/boats/cobalt/220s/147616