Page 1 of 1
How Can I Test a Relay and Circuit Breaker Assembly
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:58 pm
by Edpmiller
Does anyone know how I can test my Relay and Circuit Breaker Assembly that is part of my trim pump. This is on a 1996 Cobalt 190 with a Volvo Penta Cobra SX drive. I have attempted to attach a picture. I need to test this in a effort to solve my trim up not working problem. I can trim down all the time, but my up only works intermittently. I have replaced the trim switch assembly on my throttle and I replaced the trim sending switch assembly located on the outdrive. I replaced the Relay in 2019 and it only has about 20 hours on it.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Re: How Can I Test a Relay and Circuit Breaker Assembly
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:28 pm
by bruceb58
Here is the schematic for the relay. Pretty easy to probe the box to determine what voltages are missing.
volvotrimrelay.JPG
Re: How Can I Test a Relay and Circuit Breaker Assembly
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:33 pm
by Titaniumboy
So this is part was made by Evinrude Johnson /OMC/ Bombardier? This thing costs $300 plus today?
Edit:
Bruce, nice job on finding that schematic.
If that thing gave me a bit of trouble I would be replacing it with discrete components; I.e. two relays and a breaker.
Re: How Can I Test a Relay and Circuit Breaker Assembly
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:27 pm
by bruceb58
Titaniumboy wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:33 pm
So this is part was made by Evinrude Johnson /OMC/ Bombardier? This thing costs $300 plus today?
Edit:
Bruce, nice job on finding that schematic.
If that thing gave me a bit of trouble I would be replacing it with discrete components; I.e. two relays and a breaker.
1996 was in the joint venture years with Volvo and OMC. That occurred between 95 and around 99. That's why your drive is called an SX Cobra. Cobra is a holdover from OMC nomenclature.
If you need help with a debugging procedure, let me know. Just start probing with a voltmeter on those outputs, and the switch inputs, especially for the up position. You can also just bypass the switch with a jumper while you are at the relay.
Personally, I would focus on the switch since you recently changed the relay module. Take off the switch connections at the module and check for corrosion/
Little cheaper here:
https://marinepartssource.com/relay-cir ... 4UQAvD_BwE
Re: How Can I Test a Relay and Circuit Breaker Assembly
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:04 pm
by Edpmiller
Thanks bruceb58. I just replaced the switch assembly with a new one thinking that was the problem. The old switch did not look that bad but I replaced it anyway. How do I bypass the switch at the relay? I am a self-admitted novice when it comes to electrical issues.
Re: How Can I Test a Relay and Circuit Breaker Assembly
Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:23 pm
by bruceb58
Jump 12v to either one of the inputs on the module that are coming from the switch
Terminal 9 and 11are the switch inputs on the schematic. Verify the wire color.