Page 1 of 1

New R5 owner - Lake Norman NC

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:26 am
by billk2632
I have been looking for an older R5 for some time now -- the right one finally came along. It's a 2014 R5, black, V8-300. This is not my first boat, but my first Cobalt. I have had a couple of SeaRays and a Correct Craft before that. So new to Cobalt, but not new to boating. I've been lurking on the forum for awhile, but honestly at this point don't have a lot to add (unless you want to hear about an old SeaRay with an Alpha I :)), this is also my first Volvo.
IMG_0439.HEIC (1).jpg

Re: New R5 owner - Lake Norman NC

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:34 am
by wss48126
Welcome to the Forum from another Cobalt owner in NC

Re: New R5 owner - Lake Norman NC

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:45 am
by Krob1114
Welcome and congratulations on your R5.
You got a picture on your first post, great job
Really classic looking Cobalt.

Re: New R5 owner - Lake Norman NC

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:59 am
by AsLan7
.
Great intro billk …. so glad you found us.

Thanks for adding pictures too.

How do you like your Cobalt build quality compared to your Sea Ray or Correct Craft?

and welcome aboard mate!
.

Re: New R5 owner - Lake Norman NC

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:40 pm
by billk2632
Thanks!
Well, both the SeaRays and Correct Craft were good boats for me. I put 500hrs+ on the SeaRays - the 185 that I have for sale has 800hrs and other than maintenance I have had no major repairs. It stays in a dry storage, so the upholstery etc has held up well. Same with the Correct Craft, we sold it with 1800hrs and it was still running fine and had always been stored on a lift in a boathouse. All that said, I think the Cobalt is just in a different category. Heavy stainless fittings everywhere - just look at the hinge on the swim step and the heavy piano hinges on the seats - wow! Molded in graphics, not stickers. The stitching in the upholstery and the dash covering. And the boat is quiet, no rattles and squeaks in rough water. My R5 is a 2014, not old, but not new either and it still looks and feels brand new. If I were making a car comparison, but I would say a SeaRay is a Toyota and Cobalt is a Lexus. And lastly, for me it's the styling, Cobalts still have a classic look, you can spot a Cobalt - any size or model - from a mile away. They all carry the same lines - the way a SeaRay used to. I am just not into a lot of the newer styled boats - they just don't look good in my opinion.

Re: New R5 owner - Lake Norman NC

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:06 pm
by AsLan7
Thanks for that comparison bk. 👌

Re: New R5 owner - Lake Norman NC

Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:13 pm
by Big Block Power
Congrats. Looks like a beauty.

Re: New R5 owner - Lake Norman NC

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:42 pm
by NautiWeasel
Very nice looking boat!

Re: New R5 owner - Lake Norman NC

Posted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:07 am
by Krob1114
My Cobalt it a Mercedes.

Re: New R5 owner - Lake Norman NC

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 8:02 am
by Snowman8
Welcome and nice looking R5 from another R5 owner! Hopefully you will get many hours of enjoyment out of the R5, it sounds like you really use your boats a lot.

I don’t want to be a downer but as for the heavy stainless hinge on the swim step there is a weal link. Eventually the knob that you pull to raise and lower the step will eventually break. Pretty much all of us on here have donated a few to the bottom of the lake. Some of us have donated a couple knobs to the fish gods. The replacement knob isn’t cheap either. We have determined that is isn’t needed either. I just bought a couple spring lock pins like the link I included below and I think a couple guys don’t use anything to hold it up. When down we just let it float in the water. Other than that we love our R5’s! They are a great boat!



This one is stainless, I bought one from my local hardware store that isn’t stainless for about $3.

Re: New R5 owner - Lake Norman NC

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:02 pm
by billk2632
Thanks for the advice on the swim step, I had read about that problem here already. Was on the boat today and already trying to be care about it, but figure it will break at some point like others.

Re: New R5 owner - Lake Norman NC

Posted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:52 pm
by Snowman8
billk2632 wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:02 pm Thanks for the advice on the swim step, I had read about that problem here already. Was on the boat today and already trying to be care about it, but figure it will break at some point like others.
I believe that they break when the step is down in the water. The step has a lot of force on it when the boat moves up and down in the waves. Next time you are out watch how much water is moved by the step when your boat bounces up and down in big waves. The pin is just too small in diameter. I guess if there is a weak link the pin should be it and not break the step or the swim platform.
Enjoy your new to you R5!