Page 1 of 1

Cleaning up from the occasional salt water trip

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:27 pm
by thunder550
Living in Phoenix, 99% of our boating trips will be on freshwater lakes. We have tossed around the idea though of occasionally trailering the boat out to San Diego and running it in San Diego and/or Mission Bay. I'm unfamiliar with anything regarding salt water on boats and/or trailers (mine is galvanized, BTW), other than I know it can cause lots of problems when not cleaned properly. What can you guys teach me about cleaning up after a salt water trip?

Re: Cleaning up from the occasional salt water trip

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:40 pm
by cmattj
thunder550 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:27 pm Living in Phoenix, 99% of our boating trips will be on freshwater lakes. We have tossed around the idea though of occasionally trailering the boat out to San Diego and running it in San Diego and/or Mission Bay. I'm unfamiliar with anything regarding salt water on boats and/or trailers (mine is galvanized, BTW), other than I know it can cause lots of problems when not cleaned properly. What can you guys teach me about cleaning up after a salt water trip?
If you can't re launch in fresh water that next day .. some areas and launch ramp exits have fresh water to rinse the trailer brakes and sides of boat.

Helps to have a Flush kit for your water pickup to rinse the motor and manifolds. Or you should just put some outdrive muffs and run it it for a few minutes.

Salt air moisture loves to corode chrome and pits stainless so wipe everything down in the interior.

Other than that have fun down there!!

Mission bay is awesome.. I sailed there a lot as a kid when we moved from New York to La Jolla..

Well worth the rinse!!

Re: Cleaning up from the occasional salt water trip

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:36 pm
by jhnmdahl
In my mind there are two key steps. First, run fresh water through the engine cooling system (some engines have a hose port specifically to do this, others require muffs or other gadgets. 2. Hose/spray down everything else in sight with plenty of fresh water.

John

Re: Cleaning up from the occasional salt water trip

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:22 pm
by Big Block Power
Would he need to use salt away rinse?
Wash wash wash.

Re: Cleaning up from the occasional salt water trip

Posted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:34 pm
by AsLan7
jhnmdahl wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:36 pm In my mind there are two key steps. First, run fresh water through the engine cooling system (some engines have a hose port specifically to do this, others require muffs or other gadgets. 2. Hose/spray down everything else in sight with plenty of fresh water.

John
Totally agree with John and I would add one more very important step which really pays dividends....DRY IT with an absorber cloth such as a shammy-- especially aluminum pieces as this will really get the salt off.

.

Re: Cleaning up from the occasional salt water trip

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:34 pm
by thunder550
Thanks everyone!

AsLan - I have 2 of those Absorbers in the boat that we use to wipe it down with vinegar spray. Sounds like the most important thing is to rinse everything really well with fresh water then dry. Can do!

Re: Cleaning up from the occasional salt water trip

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:14 pm
by thunder550
cmattj wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:40 pm Other than that have fun down there!!

Mission bay is awesome.. I sailed there a lot as a kid when we moved from New York to La Jolla..

Well worth the rinse!!
Question for you since you seem to be familiar with the area. When we do this trip we'll most likely be staying in Mission Bay. If we wanted to spend part of a day in San Diego Bay, would you recommend pulling the boat, trailering it over the hill and dropping it in again, or boating around Point Loma? I've never done open ocean before, it doesn't look too far but I've also read something about kelp beds around that area too. Open/unprotected ocean makes me a bit nervous, but I have no idea what it's like in that area.

Re: Cleaning up from the occasional salt water trip

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:15 pm
by Bfun220
I really like that area. I've only kayaked in that area though.

Re: Cleaning up from the occasional salt water trip

Posted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:53 pm
by cmattj
thunder550 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:14 pm
cmattj wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:40 pm Other than that have fun down there!!

Mission bay is awesome.. I sailed there a lot as a kid when we moved from New York to La Jolla..

Well worth the rinse!!
Question for you since you seem to be familiar with the area. When we do this trip we'll most likely be staying in Mission Bay. If we wanted to spend part of a day in San Diego Bay, would you recommend pulling the boat, trailering it over the hill and dropping it in again, or boating around Point Loma? I've never done open ocean before, it doesn't look too far but I've also read something about kelp beds around that area too. Open/unprotected ocean makes me a bit nervous, but I have no idea what it's like in that area.
From my memory.. I'm old! it's about a 20 mile journey and also a shipping lane which rec boaters use because it's clear. So you'll have friends to follow.

Get a map that includes buoy markers and numbers.
Have a vhf and navonics app and the ol compass with you and you'll be fine..it would be great if you could follow a cruiser as you Leave ..

You will see kelp beds the whole way to Point Loma. further out gets better so prepare to go south.. then out west, the south to the horn.

If your uncertain you can spend a whole day in San Diego bay.

I felt like just went with you writing this.. your a lot faster than a 26 ft Catalina though Haha!

Have fun!

Re: Cleaning up from the occasional salt water trip

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:55 pm
by thunder550
cmattj wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:53 pm From my memory.. I'm old! it's about a 20 mile journey and also a shipping lane which rec boaters use because it's clear. So you'll have friends to follow.

Get a map that includes buoy markers and numbers.
Have a vhf and navonics app and the ol compass with you and you'll be fine..it would be great if you could follow a cruiser as you Leave ..

You will see kelp beds the whole way to Point Loma. further out gets better so prepare to go south.. then out west, the south to the horn.

If your uncertain you can spend a whole day in San Diego bay.

I felt like just went with you writing this.. your a lot faster than a 26 ft Catalina though Haha!

Have fun!
Thanks for the info :)

Re: Cleaning up from the occasional salt water trip

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:31 pm
by thunder550
Well we are booked for July 4-8 next summer, staying at the Dana in Mission Bay. They have guest slips available too, sweet!

Re: Cleaning up from the occasional salt water trip

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:21 am
by cmattj
Perfect . Plus you have Sea world close (for the kids of course haha )with a lot of restaurants and nightlife.

Re: Cleaning up from the occasional salt water trip

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:29 am
by AsLan7
Cool....I'm already looking forward to your pics T550!

Re: Cleaning up from the occasional salt water trip

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:46 pm
by Big Block Power
Sounds like a cool trip.