Page 1 of 2
Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:18 pm
by kep5niner
I recently purchased a 2012 Cobalt 302. A fridge was an option on this model, installed just behind the helm; however, my boat does not have that option. I would like to install a fridge in the factory location, and figured starting my research on which fridge Cobalt originally optioned that with would be a good start for fitment and simplicity.
Does anyone know which make / model fridge Cobalt offered with that year 302? Thanks for the help.
Pete
Re: Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:50 pm
by Big Block Power
Would it be a Dometic fridge? I'm sure you can get one to work though.
Re: Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:57 pm
by kep5niner
I figure it’s a Dometic or a Norcold, was just trying to drill down on which model if another 302 owner might know.
Re: Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:50 pm
by AsLan7
.
Hey k5. So glad you found us!
Can’t help you with your fridge question but others here may chime in shortly.
Any 302 pics?
And welcome aboard mate.
.
Re: Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:28 pm
by kep5niner
Thank you for the warm welcome AsLan7! Here’s some pics - we may have something in common.
Re: Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:30 pm
by AsLan7
I love it!
Pilot by chance? Great name.

Re: Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:07 pm
by kep5niner
Indeed. Retired Army helicopter pilot, own a 310, and fly jets for a living now (135), and couldn’t be happier!
Re: Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:50 am
by AsLan7
Fantastic my friend
And thanks for your service!
Re: Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:50 pm
by kep5niner
Well, getting a little closer on my fridge hunt. I did see an ad for a 302 that indicated OEM fridge install. It was an Isotherm. Still just need to pull dimensions from the existing space to figure out what will work.
In preparation for planned fridge install, I did install a Guest 2 bank 10-amp battery charger with 15 amp shore power connection. That installation turned out pretty slick. The battery charger is not only for the fridge, but to maintain the batteries as well.
With that, I’m looking for a 12 vdc fridge only, as I don’t have an AC panel.
Re: Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:07 pm
by AsLan7
Roger that.
Now how bout a pic of that slick battery charger for the gang.
Re: Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:12 pm
by kep5niner
I’m at out of town for a while getting a new type. I’m hoping to make it back to the lake Labor Day weekend, then I’ll make it happen.
Re: Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:49 am
by BTL1904
The model number of the single-cooler refrigerator is KAD3002XSS. The model number of the dual-cooler refrigerator is KAD3004XSS. Both are self-contained marine refrigerators. They are 12" high x 22" wide x 17.5" deep. Insulation is 3/8" thick urethane foam. Both models have a 147-cubic-foot capacity at 40°F and 90% relative humidity, with a temperature range of 35°F to 45°F. Both models are C.A.R.B. compliant. The dual-cooler refrigerator (model KAD3004XSS) has a Digital Temperature Control with LED display. The
single-cooler refrigerator (model KAD3002XSS) has a Manual Temperature Control. These refrigerators are manufactured in the U.S.A.
Re: Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:10 am
by CobaltDeadHead
I'm just going to throw this thought out there, but I question the usefulness of a refrigerator on a day boat; especially given the small size and capacity.
I'm not trying to discourage your efforts, but it may end up being a fairly expensive investment for not much benefit.
Perhaps it's just my own boating routine though. We have a large soft sided cooler we pack up at home and just carry onto the boat at the marina and off we go. That cooler probably has greater capacity than the refrigerator. If I had a 302 or A28 or other model with that fridge space, I think I'd rather just keep that cubby without a fridge and as a space I could just easily slide my cooler into. We put it in or head compartment on our boat currently. That makes more sense to me vs taking the cooler I already packed at home and then unpacking it into the fridge on the boat.
But, everyone does things a little different, so it could just be me.
Re: Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:11 am
by Holy Smokes
CobaltDeadHead wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 5:10 am
I'm just going to throw this thought out there, but I question the usefulness of a refrigerator on a day boat; especially given the small size and capacity.
I'm not trying to discourage your efforts, but it may end up being a fairly expensive investment for not much benefit.
Perhaps it's just my own boating routine though. We have a large soft sided cooler we pack up at home and just carry onto the boat at the marina and off we go. That cooler probably has greater capacity than the refrigerator. If I had a 302 or A28 or other model with that fridge space, I think I'd rather just keep that cubby without a fridge and as a space I could just easily slide my cooler into. We put it in or head compartment on our boat currently. That makes more sense to me vs taking the cooler I already packed at home and then unpacking it into the fridge on the boat.
But, everyone does things a little different, so it could just be me.
Well said. I have a 360 with two separate refrigerators. In two years, haven't used either one. Occasionally, I may "pre-cool" one while at the dock on shorepower to stash a few snack items in when we head out, but turn it off to save battery when out & about.
Re: Factory fridge model on 2012 302?
Posted: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:40 pm
by kep5niner
BTL1904 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 4:49 am
The model number of the single-cooler refrigerator is KAD3002XSS. The model number of the dual-cooler refrigerator is KAD3004XSS. Both are self-contained marine refrigerators. They are 12" high x 22" wide x 17.5" deep. Insulation is 3/8" thick urethane foam. Both models have a 147-cubic-foot capacity at 40°F and 90% relative humidity, with a temperature range of 35°F to 45°F. Both models are C.A.R.B. compliant. The dual-cooler refrigerator (model KAD3004XSS) has a Digital Temperature Control with LED display. The
single-cooler refrigerator (model KAD3002XSS) has a Manual Temperature Control. These refrigerators are manufactured in the U.S.A.
Sounds like a concise response, but I’m having trouble locating on the web the model you reference. The link takes me to glass door coolers.