Page 1 of 1

VHF radio recommendations

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:34 pm
by Titaniumboy
I am looking for recommendations for a low cost VHF radio, preferably handheld. While we have never needed a VHF radio while boating on the California Delta or on Northern California lakes, it seems like it would be a prudent safety item.

Or do we not really need a VHF radio on the Delta? Cell phone coverage was a bit spotty on the Delta back in 2007 when we first bought our 240, but coverage nowadays seems very good.

Re: VHF radio recommendations

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:44 am
by jhnmdahl
I always liked ICOM handheld radios:



but there are cheaper brands like Cobra that are decent and provide peace of mind as well:



Uniden and Midland are both good brands too. Something that is waterproof, floats, and perhaps flashes if it falls in water might be a nice safety feature and isn't hard to find.

John

Re: VHF radio recommendations

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:12 pm
by Titaniumboy
Thanks for the links.

Looks like a lot of the handheld radios float and are waterproof. I had no idea.

Is it a good use of funds to get a six watt unit as compared to a 3 watt unit?

Re: VHF radio recommendations

Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:44 pm
by bruceb58
Titaniumboy wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:12 pm Thanks for the links.

Looks like a lot of the handheld radios float and are waterproof. I had no idea.

Is it a good use of funds to get a six watt unit as compared to a 3 watt unit?
Depends on how far you need to transmit. 6 watts vs 3 watts does not double your range...it adds around 40%.

I went with 6W. I boat on Lake Tahoe. Well worth it for there.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I4CUNDA/re ... UTF8&psc=1