Page 1 of 1

Lenco Trim Tabs

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:39 am
by herbk@comcast.net
Greetings:
On our 2020 Cobalt R-5, it is equipped with the Lenco trim tabs. Admittedly, I haven't paid much attention until this
year. With the boat on a lift, I realized the port side tab is not deploying at all. I can hear some muffled sound when I
try to put the tab down, but nothing beyond. Sounds like the actuator is "attempting" to move, but quickly trails off.
The LED indicators behave as if the tab is working correctly: no indication the tab is frozen or not moving.
Perhaps why I didn't pay enough attention.

The starboard tab behaves as expected and you can hear the actuator in motion (clearly) while it is moving. No so with the
port side.

I don't know for sure if the tab was ever working since the day I took delivery of the R-5. It isn't on the "check-list"
I received with the boat.

I was looking for what is called the "Deutsch" connector to verify the electrical is good (and perhaps power it directly
as a test), but I haven't located the connector whether it is behind the controller or in the engine compartment.

Any and all help would be appreciated.

R-5 "Breakaway"

Re: Lenco Trim Tabs

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:20 am
by stifflkd
I am having Causeway install a pair next week. Since you hear a sound when you activate the tab I would think it is getting power. Sounds like an issue inside the cylinder. The cable with the connector should appear on the inside of the transom where the top bracket of the trim tab assy is mounted on the boat.

Re: Lenco Trim Tabs

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:29 pm
by Big Block Power
Can you disconnect the ram from the tab and make sure the tab moves free. I agree with stiff if you can hear something it's probably trying to work. Prob a bad actuator. Is it still under warranty?
The connector I would think will be on the transom in the engine Compartment by the exit to that ram.

Re: Lenco Trim Tabs

Posted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:19 pm
by jlake02
I found this thread by searching "actuator" due to the fact my 2022 R8S had an actuator break off from the hull. Luckily I noticed it while swimming behind the boat. Zero clue why this would happen as I almost never use my trim tabs. The dealer said they need to pull the boat and haul it 90 miles back to their shop to fix this. Super disappointed with the build quality as I've only had the R8S a few months (less than 50 hours of usage.)

Anyone else had an issue like this?

Image