Page 1 of 1

Temp Gauge quick question

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:47 am
by Pilotmike
Last season the temp gauge read 160 during idle or no wake running. Under a load and running 120. Ambient water temp made no difference. Impeller is good (changed and checked)

Before I go digging too deep, your thoughts

I will check connections at the gauge terminal, then the gauge sending unit (on the 5.7 it's located at the thermostat housing correct)?, After this, then...?

Thanks

2001 246
5.7 GXI (B)
315 hours

Re: Temp Gauge quick question

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:08 pm
by bruceb58
You can always double check your gauge by using an IR thermometer and aim it at the thermostat housing.

Not sure what thermostat is used in your engine but it will be either 160°F or 140°F. You may want to check its function.

Re: Temp Gauge quick question

Posted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:46 pm
by Big Block Power
Yea your tstat could be stuck open. Should be a 160. Some had 140s in them like mine does and they came out with a bulletin to change it to a 160 so the oil gets warm enough to get rid of moisture in the oil.

Re: Temp Gauge quick question

Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:39 pm
by Pilotmike
I will check the tstat, but this weekend the temp gauge never moved off of 100. This screams gauge or sender to me, but i'm not sure.

Re: Temp Gauge quick question

Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:49 am
by Krob1114
I'm leaning on the thermostat stuck open.
Same thing happened to me on my Mercedes. Had no heat in the winter time.

Re: Temp Gauge quick question

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:03 pm
by Pilotmike
Forgot to revisit this with those who helped out.

The previous impeller came apart and I changed it out. After removing the T-Stat I found the remains of the impeller vanes in the T-Stat and throughout the housing. Solved! Thanks

Re: Temp Gauge quick question

Posted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 2:07 pm
by jhnmdahl
Thanks for the followup, PilotMike - it's sure to help someone else down the road