Page 1 of 1

Recent buy 1997 252

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:09 am
by 540Olds
Hello all,

Bought a boat that "came with the house" at Lake of the Ozarks..1997 252, 454, Bravo 3, 26" props,(also have a set of 24's) about 750 hours.. Overall, clean, great shape and runs fine; needs some minor upholstery repairs, and paint is faded on side hulls, but a good wet-sand/buff should remedy that. White with about a 4-5" black stripe near top of sides.

In the meantime; steering wheel is somewhat dirty and didn't come very clean after scrubbing; where's best place to get another or should I have it re-covered? Also, any way to install a nice Fuel Flow gage, and who makes them? While on that topic, what's average fuel burn per hour at 3K rpm cruise?

Last week with me, a passenger, and 1/2 fuel, it showed 4200 RPM WOT and about 52-3mph on iPhone GPS. (Dash speedo was showing ZERO..Imagine that) I was told that performance is "in the ballpark", but any opinions or advice would be helpful. I like the 454 as I am very familiar with BB Chevy: amazing how they managed to stifle the HP, but it does run smooth and quiet. For possible future engine upgrades, how much power/torque can a Bravo 3 unit handle?

I've had boats as a kid, but this is first one in about 40 years as I have a few $$$ to throw in the "hole". I'll have it serviced and checked at the end of this season.

Thanks for any info, and I'll post pics when I figure out how to..

Re: Recent buy 1997 252

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:50 am
by dustinm
Do you happen to be a member on Chevelles.com? I will let real boat experts answer your questions.

Re: Recent buy 1997 252

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:12 pm
by 540Olds
Yes....same username on Chevelles..

Bob

Re: Recent buy 1997 252

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:21 pm
by Big Block Power
Most of us have purchased a Guzzi brand steering wheel off of eBay.
I bet your getting 3 or 4 mpg.
Your b3 will Handle What you throw at it. Till you go crazy. Mph is correct. I would run the 24p and get your rpms up. Every $1000 you spend will get you 1mph. So good luck with that 😂😂you didn't buy a race hull.

Re: Recent buy 1997 252

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:01 pm
by 540Olds
Hi BBP,

I figured about 3-4mpg based on 9-10 gallons to cruise about 35 miles, and ONLY $1K/mph?? That's almost a better deal than a plane!! I'd really like to do a small cam upgrade and get heads done, but it runs so well as is....you know how it goes when the "mods" begin...

Maybe prop swap to see what that does, then just "be happy"..??? Sure...

Thanks for tip on steering wheel,

Bob

Re: Recent buy 1997 252

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:05 pm
by Big Block Power
540Olds wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:01 pm Hi BBP,

I figured about 3-4mpg based on 9-10 gallons to cruise about 35 miles, and ONLY $1K/mph?? That's almost a better deal than a plane!! I'd really like to do a small cam upgrade and get heads done, but it runs so well as is....you know how it goes when the "mods" begin...

Maybe prop swap to see what that does, then just "be happy"..??? Sure...

Thanks for tip on steering wheel,

Bob
Yep. Leave it alone. Throw the 24s on. Or buy a set of hill marine 4x4 or 4x3 props. Money well spent on a merc.

Re: Recent buy 1997 252

Posted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:08 pm
by AsLan7
.
Hey Bob. So glad you found us!

Run a small piece of wire up the small hole in the front of the lower outdrive. You can even disconnect the small tube and carefully use a small wire to unclog that as well. Your speedometer should come alive.

Yes, work on getting us a pic. We love them here. :D

And welcome aboard mate!
.


.