Page 1 of 2

Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:15 pm
by vpaul879
Hello all. In the market for a new boat and have a build slot reserved for new R8 Surf. Looking for any advice on must haves for options. I'm planning on the 380hp. Thanks.

Re: Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:31 pm
by AsLan7
.
Hey Vp879 so glad you found us.

R8 is a big boat. What are your thoughts bumping up to the 430?

And welcome aboard mate!

.

Re: Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:35 am
by Krob1114
We need more blue boats here.

Re: Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:02 am
by CobaltDeadHead
Krob1114 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:35 am We need more blue boats here.
I'm assuming you are referring to a Merc Racing engine? Not the exterior color?

Wasn't the last time a Merc Racing engine was an available option was on the R5 like five years ago? I think only a couple were ordered.

Re: Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:49 am
by Krob1114
CobaltDeadHead wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:02 am
Krob1114 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:35 am We need more blue boats here.
I'm assuming you are referring to a Merc Racing engine? Not the exterior color?

Wasn't the last time a Merc Racing engine was an available option was on the R5 like five years ago? I think only a couple were ordered.
No...exterior. Look at my tagline. If engine is not noted, it means "stock engine". For me, 300 HP.

Re: Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:04 am
by jhnmdahl
The 430 vs 380 is the first big choice, as Aslan mentioned. If you expect to spend more than a few percent of your time at top speed, the 430 will buy you a few more miles per hour. If not, the 380 will get on plane similarly quickly and tow for watersports equally well.

Also, allocate your "fun money" on things like an arch, bimini, or head that are hard to add later, and less on things like the stereo that are most easily upgraded later. I'm loving the new bayside blue color, which I think qualifies as "blue" for Krob :)

John

Re: Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:46 am
by Norris_Boating
So I have found I really don't like the tonneau covers with all the snaps and just use the mooring cover all the time. I really enjoy not having the snaps all over the boat. But this is more personal opinion.

They made the tower taller than the R7/5 etc so people wouldn't hit their heads on the tower speaker option. It was hard already for me (6'3")to put the rope on the tower for skiing and wake boarding. With this being said I would consider the electric folding arch for easier access for the rope attachment.

I personally don't like the tower speakers as mentioned above I tend to hit my head on them, the boat is prewired for them so you can always add them later.

If you are boating in areas with little to no cell coverage I highly recommend the weather radar.
Also get the wireless phone charger and the larger Garmin screens.

Some options aren't there but you can still request them, I like the recessed oval cobalt logo. Dealer added it to the order even though it wasn't on the site.

I think a lot of the other options are just kind of personal opinion.
Give us some more ideas of what you are looking for and how you are boating most of the time and we will provide more feedback.
Welcome!

Re: Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:17 am
by Krob1114
Norris_Boating wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:46 am So I have found I really don't like the tonneau covers with all the snaps and just use the mooring cover all the time. I really enjoy not having the snaps all over the boat. But this is more personal opinion.

I personally don't like the tower speakers as mentioned above I tend to hit my head on them, the boat is prewired for them so you can always add them later.

Welcome!
Agreed. We recently bought a basic cheap cover for our boat. We use it during the week, don't cover on weekends at the marina, and are saving expensive mooring cover to use when we're gone extended periods. We're really glad our boat came with mooring cover.

Re: Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:12 am
by tfarmer
Here would be my list of options:

VP380
Mooring Cover (Very quick to put on by yourself, maybe 5 minutes tops)
Glass Cockpit, Dual Garmin 8610 (I've seen a new R series with the small Garmins and it just looks weird)
Wireless phone charger
Either Platinum Sound w/Transom & Arch or Premium w/Transom & Arch (all depends on how much of an audio person you are. I have Platinum and it really rocks!)
Speaker Covers
Stereo Remote, Transom
Satellite Radio (good for just setting it and forgetting it)
Camera, Rear Facing (we use this every time someone is surfing)
Flagpole (Nice to fly your alumni flag but does get in the way of surf rope)
Wakeboard Racks, Triton
Bow Filler Cushions (Primarily got to fill in the space on the starboard side because of seating design change. Now we leave in all three pieces because three adults can stretch out when installed)
Battery Maintainer/Charger
Fire Extinguisher, Automatic
Trim Tabs

I would consider the above to be my must have. Other things to consider that I have on my R6S are:

Cobalt Lettering Satin Black (for the black out effect)
Windshield, Sport Black Alum (for the black out effect)

Underwater Lighting, RGB
Swim Platform Transom Lighting
LED Interior Accent Lighting
(have only used these 1 time in the last month. We don't do a lot of boating at night or dusk)

Transom Tilt (haven't used yet)

Beehive Interior Accent Pkg (get lots of compliments on this. Adds sporty look)
Soft-Trac Mat (My final decision on our boat. Went back and forth between this and Seagrass option. We had Seagrass on our R5. Super simply to quickly unsnap and clean with our portable vacuum we keep onboard. However coupled with the Beehive Interior option I felt like the Soft-Trac Mat really brought the whole interior together for a more sporty look.)

Windlass Anchor (Really expensive option! I'm still really nervous about getting it stuck but haven't so far. Currently there is no way to determine how much chain you have let out. Someone suggested putting a zip tie on the chain every 5-10')

If you have any additional questions on your build please feel free to send me PM.

Re: Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:16 am
by vpaul879
Appreciate the replies. Here's where I'm at.
As far as the motor, salesman has told me for my purposes the 380hp Volvo will be sufficient. This will be primarily for tow sports and surfing and cruising around the lake (I guess that covers all the things you'd do w such a boat). I have 230hp Sea Doos I can hop on if I want speed. Was told the 430 adds a bit of extra weight
As far as cover, I plan on having a drop down installed on my dock, so I wasn't planning on spending extra on a nicer cover.
Wireless charger is a must.
I'm planning on the Prisma elec folding arch.
Didn't plan on upgrading to larger screens for Garmin but had selected dual Garmin 742 XSV. I will have to do some more research between the available Garmins.
+Prem sound package w arch speakers
+Rear view Cam
+Flag pole
+Sea grass floor covering upgrade
+Swim platform lights
+Surf mat
+Sport black windshield

Re: Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:31 am
by Krob1114
I wish mine had come with a rudder indicator.

Re: Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:12 pm
by dustinm
Krob1114 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:31 am I wish mine had come with a rudder indicator.
I have that on mine, but with the swimdeck its as not important or useful as it was/would be with a "pre" swimdeck boat.




As for a VP430 being heavier than a VP 380 I would have to disagree as they use the same block/head design. Should be within a few lbs.

Our softtrac mat lifted the first weekend we used the boat. Its soft but if its not going to last why waste the money

Re: Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:47 pm
by vpaul879
I was wrong and you're right. The weight difference between those two engines is minimal to none.
dustinm wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:12 pm
Krob1114 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:31 am I wish mine had come with a rudder indicator.
I have that on mine, but with the swimdeck its as not important or useful as it was/would be with a "pre" swimdeck boat.




As for a VP430 being heavier than a VP 380 I would have to disagree as they use the same block/head design. Should be within a few lbs.

Our softtrac mat lifted the first weekend we used the boat. Its soft but if its not going to last why waste the money

Re: Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:03 am
by Norris_Boating
I like the Rudder indicator also. Use it frequently, required no, helpful yes. Getting ready to take off with a surfer/skier, you can make sure your rudder is straight to make it easier for the person in the water.
Lots of mentions of softrac mat lifting up. My aftermarket seadek corner by swim platform came up once, a little acetone and it stuck right down and haven't had any issues since. I wonder if they don't do good prep when installing in the factory. Or maybe marine mat adhesive isn't as good as seadek? I have 250 hours on this seadek and have had dogs and tons of people on mine. I wouldn't trade it out for anything.

Re: Recommendations for new R8 Surf Build

Posted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:55 am
by dustinm
vpaul879 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:47 pm I was wrong and you're right. The weight difference between those two engines is minimal to none.
dustinm wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:12 pm
Krob1114 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:31 am I wish mine had come with a rudder indicator.
I have that on mine, but with the swimdeck its as not important or useful as it was/would be with a "pre" swimdeck boat.




As for a VP430 being heavier than a VP 380 I would have to disagree as they use the same block/head design. Should be within a few lbs.

Our softtrac mat lifted the first weekend we used the boat. Its soft but if its not going to last why waste the money

I just want you to have the correct information. Maybe your dealer was confusing a Merc 430 (which is a big block) with the VP GM LS based engines?