GPS always on

Post Reply
tmcnutt
Ensign
Ensign
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:33 am
Contact:

GPS always on

Post by tmcnutt »

Our GPS is on as soon as I turn on main power switch. I thought about seeing if I could use the accessory switch on the dash to power it on and off so that it isn't on all of the time. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom
User avatar
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 2440
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:11 pm
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 8 times
Contact:

Re: GPS always on

Post by jhnmdahl »

I just tried a couple different unused 12v pier connectors under the dash to power mine (the moles plugs, like hard drives used to use) and the first one I picked was connected to switched power.

I’m still not quite sure if I did it the easy way or the hard way, but it’s as “stock” as I could make it.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
User avatar
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral
Posts: 1876
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:03 am
Location: Greer’s Ferry Lake, AR
Contact:

Re: GPS always on

Post by Krob1114 »

tmcnutt wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:54 am Our GPS is on as soon as I turn on main power switch. I thought about seeing if I could use the accessory switch on the dash to power it on and off so that it isn't on all of the time. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom
To tell the truth, I wouldn't mind if ours was set up like that. It doesn't drain that much battery. As soon as we turn the engine off on the lake, we put the accessory switch on so we don't have to reboot the gps every time we stop.
Plus, it would be the last reminder to turn the battery switch off.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
User avatar
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Posts: 11526
Joined: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:58 am
Location: Erie PA
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times
Contact:

Re: GPS always on

Post by AsLan7 »

Krob1114 wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:34 am
tmcnutt wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:54 am Our GPS is on as soon as I turn on main power switch. I thought about seeing if I could use the accessory switch on the dash to power it on and off so that it isn't on all of the time. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom
To tell the truth, I wouldn't mind if ours was set up like that. It doesn't drain that much battery. As soon as we turn the engine off on the lake, we put the accessory switch on so we don't have to reboot the gps every time we stop.
Plus, it would be the last reminder to turn the battery switch off.
.
I’m guessing it stays on with a separate accessory switch upon shut down…..but reboots after cranking the engine.
You’ll need an isolator or something like the Blue Sea ACR battery switch to avoid that cut out.
.


.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot] and 15 guests