Page 1 of 1

automatic bilge pump will not shut off

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:19 pm
by Johnny
The automatic bilge pump on my 2008 Cobalt 232 will not shut off. I replaced the pump when the problem first occurred. Unfortunately, the same thing happened again with the new bilge pump. There is no water in the bilge which would engage the float switch. I have inspected the wiring and can find nothing wrong. Also, the radio will not work when the automatic bilge pump goes on and on. In order to shut the pump off, I disconnected the wiring. Has anyone experienced issue like this?

Re: automatic bilge pump will not shut off

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:07 pm
by AsLan7
.
Hey Johnny...welcome to the Cobaltchat forum. So glad you found us!

If it does not turn off then normally the culprit is a stuck micro-switch on the float mechanism or the helm switch is engaged overriding the float. Since you already checked this and replaced the pump with now similar results it sounds like you may have a bad ground somewhere in the switch which is possibly grounding (or completing the switch circuit) through the radio. Do you have an electrical tester?

Btw any pics?

Again welcome aboard mate!



.

Re: automatic bilge pump will not shut off

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:19 pm
by Johnny
Thanks for your reply and help. I will check the grounding. Yes, I have a tester and will use it to hopefully find the problem. Thanks!

Re: automatic bilge pump will not shut off

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:07 pm
by SAB220
Johnny I would bench test the pump to confirm it works. No way should be a any connection to the radio. The bilge pump circuit is separate from every other circuit for obvious reasons. Matter of fact the radio may be the symptom of the problem.

Need to solve this problem before you go out. If it bench test O'K its got to be a helm switch/radio. Worst come to worst wire it directly to the starting battery because the float acts as the switch unless it on the trailer. These no silver bullet to solving this. There plenty on line on this very subject

Re: automatic bilge pump will not shut off

Posted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:33 pm
by bruceb58
I agree there may be a sneak path happening here. To confirm, disconnect the wires to the bilge switch at the dash to see if that keeps the pump off.

Re: automatic bilge pump will not shut off

Posted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:38 pm
by Johnny
Thanks guys! I appreciate your assistance. I will let you know what I find.

Re: automatic bilge pump will not shut off

Posted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:07 pm
by Mike in SC
Is it still running?

Re: automatic bilge pump will not shut off

Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 6:18 am
by Johnny
Hi Mike, I have the auto bilge off, but there remains a problem with the electrical system. Battery 1 discharges very quickly, radio will not work, etc. We have had two thunderstorms with major rain over the last few days, and I went down afterwards to turn on the manual pump. I have tried everything that I know to do, and decided to bite the bullet and take it in for service. Thanks so much for your response.

Re: automatic bilge pump will not shut off

Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:46 am
by Stagdad
It happened to me while out one day, whacked the top to the pump with a stick and un stuck the float. has not acted up since.

Re: automatic bilge pump will not shut off

Posted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:54 pm
by Mike in SC
Johnny wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:18 am Hi Mike, I have the auto bilge off, but there remains a problem with the electrical system. Battery 1 discharges very quickly, radio will not work, etc. We have had two thunderstorms with major rain over the last few days, and I went down afterwards to turn on the manual pump. I have tried everything that I know to do, and decided to bite the bullet and take it in for service. Thanks so much for your response.
Was just hoping you'd found a resolution.
Hope it's cheap!