Page 1 of 2

First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:52 pm
by ammondm
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and this is my first Cobalt. It's a 2002 246 with the 496HO Mercruiser. So far loving the boat but the first time docking her solo I bumped a piling which broke the bimini attachment where it mounts to the wakeboard tower. I sent pics of the broken part and the good part on the starboard side to my local dealer, and they contacted Cobalt who sent a "jaw slide". This part was not even close. The local dealer gave me a refund, contacted Cobalt again and they said they no longer carry the part. Attached are pics of the boat, the broken piece (port side) and an example of a complete piece on starboard.

I'm looking for any advice on where to find the new part. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Marty

Re: First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:06 am
by Big Block Power
Just bring it to a welder. Done in 5 minutes!
Welcome though!

Re: First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:27 am
by AsLan7
.
Hey Ammondm...welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!

Yes, any welder could shore that up for ya'.
GreatLakesSkipper.com may have the part but I'd go the welder route.

Thanks for posting the pic of your 246 the lift. Any interior pics of your 246? Beast of an engine you got there.

Again welcome aboard mate!

.

Re: First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:56 pm
by ammondm
Thank you for the replies. I know of a couple welders in town and will see if they can fix it.

I'll post some interior pics by the weekend. Cover is on the boat now to keep the Louisiana bugs out!

Re: First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:00 pm
by Holy Smokes

Re: First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:16 pm
by Big Block Power
ammondm wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:56 pm Thank you for the replies. I know of a couple welders in town and will see if they can fix it.

I'll post some interior pics by the weekend. Cover is on the boat now to keep the Louisiana bugs out!
Otherwise ship it to me I'll get it welded for you.

Re: First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:52 am
by rabiddawg
Welcome!

I’m in Lafayette. Where you call home?

You have a Volvo dealer near by?

Re: First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:33 am
by Lee St.Clair
You should measure the inside distance before you get a welder to weld that. SS doesn't bend very well :-)

Re: First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:43 pm
by ammondm
Thank you for the advice. The piece is slightly bent from when I hit the piling. It looks like it's chrome plated. Any idea how to make it look like new again after it gets welded?

Re: First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:03 am
by Lee St.Clair
I think you can have it welded with Stainless Steel. It won't look as nice as original but at least it can be polished to some degree. I'm surprised it isn't made of SS.

Re: First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:17 am
by Lockey14s
Weld it!?!?! you guys are out of your minds lol. Any local marine store (west marine for me) has a ton of stainless hardware like this you could get. Might not be an exact match, but it would be pretty close and function just fine. Ebay or great lake skipper has a ton of options as well for 10-20 bucks

Re: First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:21 am
by ammondm
I've attached a couple of pics of the interior. I have the carpet but yet to install it. As you can see my yards a work in progress and I don't want to drag the mess onto the carpet of the newly acquired boat.

Re: First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:59 am
by AsLan7
.
Nice and clean! JL Audio is the bomb too. Very nice.

.

Re: First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:47 am
by dustinm
You know we never used the factory carpet ever. Its so nice just to be able to wipe down the floor.

Re: First Time Cobalt Owner

Posted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:11 pm
by Big Block Power
Lockey14s wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:17 am Weld it!?!?! you guys are out of your minds lol. Any local marine store (west marine for me) has a ton of stainless hardware like this you could get. Might not be an exact match, but it would be pretty close and function just fine. Ebay or great lake skipper has a ton of options as well for 10-20 bucks
I searched the web for a week with no luck. If it's supposed to be straight sure 100s of them. But a curved one. I didn't see a 1. Weld it. šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚