EVC System
Posted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:18 am
I mentioned in another thread that I'm new to this forum and will have a bunch of dimwitted questions and here is another one. I just bought a 2012 Cobalt 296 with twin I/O and it has the Volvo Penta EVC system. My other boats never had this system so I'm doing my research as to how it works and watching videos, etc. Since I have it I should learn to use it correctly and there wasn't a manual with the boat to read. Anyhow, I have joystick control and that's pretty easy to figure out and I've driven a boat with it before so no biggie. The station button, throttle only, single lever are all simple to figure out as well. Cruise control seems simple but I wonder if anybody actually uses it instead of moving the throttle? I do have to cruise a short distance down a river in a no wake zone to get to the lake from the marina so I'm guessing I'll probably use it then but only because I have it. Moving throttle was never an issue before but, like I said, since I have it I may as well use it. But the real question I have is the trim assist button, the trim button on the lever and the two trim buttons (Trim PT, Trim SB) on the backside of the levers. I think I know the trim assist button automatically adjusts the angle of the props when you throttle up and get on plane versus trying to adjust them manually. I will confess that I have never adjusted the trim ever before as it was always down when you are in the water and up when its time to trailer. I know, I'm one of those guys but I'm trying to get better. Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the trim button on the lever versus the trim buttons on the back side of the EVC control. I believe the trim on the lever is to manually set the prop angle instead of having the trim assist do it automatically, however, does it move them manually for both engines? And are the Trim PT and the Trim SB buttons for the trim tabs to move manually? Or is it the opposite? I'm so confused. And sorry for the long explanation but I have questions. Lots and lots of questions. Thanks in advance for any help.